Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Combined strength-endurance program watch

ReputationRep:
    So after my accident this summer (I had my legs amputated) I also lost a hell of a lot of muscle, and I want to put it back on as quickly as possible... mainly for practical reasons but also because I want to get back into the shape I had before.

After reading up on the GVT for the endurance-strength aspect (and some ego-related hypertrophy), academic research on the virtues of combining endurance and strength training etc. etc. I came up with this... what do you think?

Monday
    Chest and Back GVT

Inclined dumbbell bench-press 10x10
    Chin ups 10x10
    Bent over rows 4x10

Tuesday
    Arms and Shoulders Endurance

Tricep extensions 3x15
    Lateral raises 3x15
    Dumbbell curls 3x15
    Push press 3x15
    + Leg Press 5x5 (note: this is with prostheses)

Wednesday
    Chest and Back Strength

Flat barbell bench-press 5x5
    Pull ups 5x5
    Bent over rows 5x5
    Trap shrugs 5x5
    + Leg press 5x5

Thursday
    Arms and Shoulders GVT

Military Press 10x10
    Dumbbell curl 10x10
    Triceps rope extensions 3x10 (+ 3x10 face-down palms on bar?)
    Lateral raises 3x10

Friday
    Chest and Back Endurance

Flat barbell benching (speed) 3x15
    Bent over rows 3x15
    Lat pull downs 3x15
    Inclined flies 3x10
    + Leg press 5x5

Saturday
    Arms and Shoulders Strength

Shoulder press 5x5
    Hammer curls 5x5
    Lateral raises 5x5
    Weighted Dips 5x5
    Triceps extensions 5x5

Sunday
    Rest

How does that sound? Think it will work out fairly well or not? Mmm I'm a little worried it'll take me into "overtraining" territory... but we'll see. If it all works out then I'll run it for 8 weeks, take a week off, and repeat.
    If I've stupidly missed a movement or something please throw a stone at me.

seems a bit too much, cut it down to 3 / 4 days

chest and back twice a week, and arms and shoulders twice a week if thats the split you want

you could focus on the strength/power side of things for 2 of the days, and the other 2 at the end of the week, could focus on high reps endurance stuff

no offence to GVT, but the people ive seen do it, and my mates who've done it - id say its a bit crappy, better techniques out there

for the power days, just concentrate on a heavy compound for each, then throw in one or two assistance. One will probably be fine but you'll get the bodybuilding whores telling you to do 8 or something

example for strength day, chest, main compound would be bench, throw in some dips as assistance. Back, you have barbell rows, so throw in some chins as assistance - keep a log book and make sure you're beating your compound weight as often as possible

example of high rep day - shoulders - something like high rep dumbbell presses, followed by front raises as an assistance.

I'm a fan of keeping it simple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    seems a bit too much, cut it down to 3 / 4 days

chest and back twice a week, and arms and shoulders twice a week if thats the split you want

no offence to GVT, but the people ive seen do it, and my mates who've done it - id say its a bit crappy, better techniques out there

example for strength day, chest, main compound would be bench, throw in some dips as assistance. Back, you have barbell rows, so throw in some chins as assistance - keep a log book and make sure you're beating your compound weight as often as possible

I'm a fan of keeping it simple
    Hm thanks, I'll try to cut it down a bit, maybe to 4 days. I want to try the GVT just for 2 months to see how it fares, though it might be good in my situation to put on some mass again, but we'll see. I'll ditch it after a cycle, probably.
    I've realized today that I just won't be able to dip on the bars because it's on an elevated platform that I can't get on to with my prostheses, so that throws everything off a little.
    Hmm. Do you agree with the principle of alternating strength and endurance though?

there's better ways of getting mass than GVT, but if you want to give it a go theres no harm in that

sure, its an interesting split, try it and see how it works for you. Layne Nortons split was going round a while back, that was 2 days power, 2 days hypertrophy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.