The Student Room Group

Law then medicine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abracadabravogadro
Sorry just seen this

erm- can I just clarify that it IS possible to be totally interested in both law and medicine without caring about prestige. There are many people out there who are commited to both

I did law originally and am applying for medicine as a mature student. I have worked in city firms for 5 years in personal injury and now work in medical law/clinical negligence. But I have always wanted to do medicine, really. I just made the wrong decision at 17/18

Anyway it is possible to do both and there are people out there who have done both and practice both but if I had my time again I would do medicine first then do a one year conversion course afterwards if I wanted to do law then. Having one year of an LLB is pointless really. You need to finish the whole thing, get a high grade and then you could possibly apply for grad entry medicine.
Otherwise you will need to reapply properly through UCAS with UKCAT etc etc.

This thread is over a year old. The OP will be halfway through their law degree by now.
:smile: Look lads if you like medicine and law just go for both of them i know its easier said than done but it is possible and if it s what you want dont let anyone or anything stand in your way
they are both very demanding and challenging degrees but it will all be worth it in the end.
i am doing law in trinity college dublin at the moment and then hoping to do graduate medicine at the Royal college of surgeons in dublin
I know a lad who did this and he is a top medical law and ethics lecturer in rcsi he also has a great book and is a brilliant academic he practices both law and medecine more so law

I hope to bring my degrees to a world stage and bring key legal and medical advice to help reshape the world health organisation

the problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics !

some of the greatest human beings that walked the earth had a broad range of talents and knowledge it is people like this the world needs more than ever today

Best of luck to whoever decides to these very rewarding and life changing degrees !! fair play SIZE="6"]Slan mo chara
Reply 42
Original post by Butterflyleg
Oh please, so if Oxford was 20/30th in the rankings it still would be so popular? Do you really believe that people don't care about the prestige?

It is not all about prestige. Some people go there because they have amazing lectures that are top in their field and they have amazing research going on and because of that get a lot of funding for further research.
Yea some people do apply for prestige but there are also a lot of people who apply because of the lecturers and the research and the city.

I use to live in Oxford and it is a beautiful city that is very inspiring. Even if Oxford was 20/30th it would sill be a lovely city to live in while studying.

There is a lot more to top raking uni that just prestige.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending