Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, this is my first post on here so just looking for some advice. I did a BTEC in IT support at College mainly because i'm interested in computers so well it seemed an alright way to go. I went to uni and started a degree in computers as well. Anyway i started to realize that maybe uni wasn't for me as i lost interest in the lectures and with the credit crunch, job prospects seemed zero despite at the end I would have a degree so I dropped out.

After a year out I went travelling and spent my time earning a little money and now I've decided to sort my life out and follow a different career path, I want to get into engineering. I've just yesterday sent off my UCAS application for a foundation degree in Electronic engineering which leads after completion to a full degree in Electronic engineering and i'm willing to work my arse off for it.

My big problem is the financial aspect.. Basically I started my previous degree after college in September 2007 and dropped out of uni in December 2008, so that meant i'd gone through 1 year and maybe a quarter/half of my previous degree course. Now the Directgov calculator says "How many years of Higher Education have you previously undertaken?" What should i answer to this? I can't put 2 years because I never completed 2 years, but I can't put 1 either.. Its quite a grey area because if i'm seen as being at uni for 2 years i can't get help from student finance for my tuition fees which basically means i can't goto uni.

Any help & advice would be awesome on this cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a strong feeling they round up I'm afraid, but not 100% I'll let someone else confirm..

ReputationRep:
    Yes, technically even one week on a course will count as a whole year when calculating eligibility for funding.

Sorry.

You'll have to pay fees for year one of a new course.

Years two and onwards you will be eligible for full funding though.

ReputationRep:
    You've had 2 years. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh well i've decided since i've got a long time till i need to pay the fees i'm going to save up the cash and just pay them myself, either through a bank loan or my own money so i'm going no matter what just hope i get accepted on the course anyway in the first place. Thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashyyy)
    Hi guys, this is my first post on here so just looking for some advice. I did a BTEC in IT support at College mainly because i'm interested in computers so well it seemed an alright way to go. I went to uni and started a degree in computers as well. Anyway i started to realize that maybe uni wasn't for me as i lost interest in the lectures and with the credit crunch, job prospects seemed zero despite at the end I would have a degree so I dropped out.

After a year out I went travelling and spent my time earning a little money and now I've decided to sort my life out and follow a different career path, I want to get into engineering. I've just yesterday sent off my UCAS application for a foundation degree in Electronic engineering which leads after completion to a full degree in Electronic engineering and i'm willing to work my arse off for it.

My big problem is the financial aspect.. Basically I started my previous degree after college in September 2007 and dropped out of uni in December 2008, so that meant i'd gone through 1 year and maybe a quarter/half of my previous degree course. Now the Directgov calculator says "How many years of Higher Education have you previously undertaken?" What should i answer to this? I can't put 2 years because I never completed 2 years, but I can't put 1 either.. Its quite a grey area because if i'm seen as being at uni for 2 years i can't get help from student finance for my tuition fees which basically means i can't goto uni.

Any help & advice would be awesome on this cheers.
    Have you looked at maybe getting sponsorship from a company or organisation?
    if not - have you looked at course's which offer a placement year? as you get to earn a decent amount in this year and this could help you with costs in your final year. Also many companies who offer placement years end up sponsoring the candidate for their last year - which can also include living costs :]

Hope you find this helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viikatron)
    Have you looked at maybe getting sponsorship from a company or organisation?
    if not - have you looked at course's which offer a placement year? as you get to earn a decent amount in this year and this could help you with costs in your final year. Also many companies who offer placement years end up sponsoring the candidate for their last year - which can also include living costs :]

Hope you find this helpful.
    I think its quite hard to come by any sponsorship outside of army/NHS these days.. Also it'll be the first year OP has to pay rather than the last.

One option you could try if really stuck for the tuition payment is a career development loan, not sure if you'd qualify or not but you can google that. I think it's essentially a bank loan you can get to further career oportunities via study, and the government covers the interest during the course. Not sure if you'd be allowed though since they might consider undergrad to come under SFE's remit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    I think its quite hard to come by any sponsorship outside of army/NHS these days.. Also it'll be the first year OP has to pay rather than the last.

One option you could try if really stuck for the tuition payment is a career development loan, not sure if you'd qualify or not but you can google that. I think it's essentially a bank loan you can get to further career oportunities via study, and the government covers the interest during the course. Not sure if you'd be allowed though since they might consider undergrad to come under SFE's remit.
    I'm afraid CDL's are only for students who cannot get any funding for their course (usually second degrees or post graduate courses such as masters of PhDs)

If OP is eligible for a maintenance loan then they won't be eligible for a CDL

A normal bank loan may be possible (especially if OP says it is for a car or home improvements rather than fees)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASCIIcipher)
    I'm afraid CDL's are only for students who cannot get any funding for their course (usually second degrees or post graduate courses such as masters of PhDs)

If OP is eligible for a maintenance loan then they won't be eligible for a CDL

A normal bank loan may be possible (especially if OP says it is for a car or home improvements rather than fees)
    Now I got warned and a post deleted for saying you could record spotify on audacity on another thread. I reckon you could be in big trouble now ASCIIcipher if the mod on here is as big an idiot as that one was!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for a few apprenticeships but without an engineering background really never thought I was ever going to be successful thats why i've chosen to go to uni. Anyway i've got till at least whenever september starters 2010 fees are due so plenty of time to work my butt off so i can afford to go, assuming i get accepted of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashyyy)
    Ahh well i've decided since i've got a long time till i need to pay the fees i'm going to save up the cash and just pay them myself, either through a bank loan or my own money so i'm going no matter what just hope i get accepted on the course anyway in the first place. Thanks for the info
    Don't pay fees through a bank loan for those years when you have the option of getting a student loan. The latter is far cheaper.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.