Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCE Edexcel Applied ICT Unit 7 Using Database Software January 2010 Watch

ReputationRep:
    I started my exam on Thursday 14th January and I did the processes, inputs and outputs of the database for activity 1, although I was expecting a functional spec and revising that the night before. I was flicking through the rest of the paper and I was confused at what actually needs to be done in activty 3, 4 was testing this seems quite simple and noone at school (even people with ICT degrees xD) is sure what to do in activity 5. How did everyone else find this paper? Good luck to all, If anyone else requires a little bit of help I'll try my best.:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I have a fan Good luck with the exam! I can aid people aswell here and there

ReputationRep:
    I have two fans only joking. The real fakeaccount is above me!

ReputationRep:
    is there any advice as you have from the day you have already done of the exam as i have my exam in less than a weeks time and just wondering what i can do to gain a few extra marks

ReputationRep:
    Hey can any one tell me what the processes, inputs & outputs will be. And also the tables which we should create. Thanx....

ReputationRep:
    can someone please temme wat the exact coding is to calculate expiry months. ASAP ..

ReputationRep:
    Hey RNS

To calculate this, you have to understand various date functions.
    One of these is DateDiff. - Press F1 in access to bring up Access help if you are stuck, make sure u only set it to Offline mode, because anything you find on the net will not be available in the exam.

The formula to calculate how many months have passed is;
    DateDiff("m"[ContractDate],Date())

I had problems putting this in, it is correct, just sometimes you have to do DateDiff( then click ContractDate from ur tables, then enter "m" where it says expression.

This formula is only part of it however, there are two other parts.

The second is Months Left.
    This one is simple: 12-[MonthsGone]
    In order to do this, you must of calcualated the first one and got it working correctly.

The third is the hardest.
    Iif([MonthsLeft]="1","Contract Expires in one month")

That means, If months left equals one, then the contract expires in one month.

These are used in your forms to show contracts near expiry. Use them however you wish, but I suggest to set up Conditional Formatting on the last formula to say "If Field Value is Equal To "Contract Expires in one month" then set the bacground colour to red.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone managed to set the database structure up yet? Cos I really need some help with the relationships - I currently have 4 tables: Customer, Contract, Package and Phone. But any help with the relationships and what people have linked would be great

ReputationRep:
    What have people done for activity 1, i dont get.

ReputationRep:
    Yer activity 1 was strange

ReputationRep:
    What have people written as their inputs, outputs and processes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itfcjames )
    Has anyone managed to set the database structure up yet? Cos I really need some help with the relationships - I currently have 4 tables: Customer, Contract, Package and Phone. But any help with the relationships and what people have linked would be great .
    im started with activity 2, i almost finished it.
    as itfcjames request i will explain first of all in the contracts tables check following fields are there,
    Contract ID
    Customer ID
    Package type
    Phone ID
    Open the relationship window and import the 4 tables
    then Just link to the primary key fields of the other 3 tables to the same filds of the contract table

ReputationRep:
    I am using 3 tables:
    Customers (1 to many) Contracts (many to 1) Phones

Customer Tbl
    Cust ID
    Name
    Address
    PostCode
    TelNo
    Account no (bank)
    Sort Code

Contracts Tbl
    Contract ID
    Cust ID (Foreign key)
    Phone ID (Foreign key)
    Package Type
    CallMinutes
    Texts
    ContractDate

Phone Tbl
    Phone ID
    Model
    Bluetooth
    MPx
    MP3
    Stock Level
    Reorder Level
    Reorder Qty

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for that farzidh that has backed up what I was doing earlier! I would also be interested in what anyone has done for Activity 1 as I struggled a little with this. Although I have some answers I am not sure whether they are correct or not :/

ReputationRep:
    what did you get for activity 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thisisafakeaccount)
    I am using 3 tables:
    Customers (1 to many) Contracts (many to 1) Phones

Customer Tbl
    Cust ID
    Name
    Address
    PostCode
    TelNo
    Account no (bank)
    Sort Code

Contracts Tbl
    Contract ID
    Cust ID (Foreign key)
    Phone ID (Foreign key)
    Package Type
    CallMinutes
    Texts
    ContractDate

Phone Tbl
    Phone ID
    Model
    Bluetooth
    MPx
    MP3
    Stock Level
    Reorder Level
    Reorder Qty

did u normalised all??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umcantthinkofausername)
    what did you get for activity 1?
    The processes that I have got for Activity 1 are:

Calculate how many phones are available of a particular type
    Run a query to get customer and contract details from the database
    Run a query to get sales information
    Run a query to find the customer’s contracts whose contract is one month from expiring

However, I have no ideas on any inputs or outputs, can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am up to activity three: Creating forms (etc). The recommended time for this section is 4 hours. Surely it doesn't take that long to make a customer form and right about it.

-Does anyone know (in more detail) what exactly I have to do for four hours??

-What things to put in my form to get the most possible marks? (any techniques or functions I should be using???)

-When I annotate the forms, how much detail I have to go into?

Thank you to anyone that can help (IM DOING IT TOMORROW)

ReputationRep:
    galaxytlt, are you using 3 or 4 tables? I believe using 3 tables is actually easier!

Sorry I have no ideas about the forms, although I should be going through these tomorrow so can let you know after then

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!!

I have done the structure (activity 2) and the best thing to do is that thisisafakeaccount has said:

Customer Tbl
    Cust ID
    Name
    Address
    PostCode
    TelNo
    Account no (bank)
    Sort Code

Contracts Tbl
    Contract ID
    Cust ID (Foreign key)
    Phone ID (Foreign key)
    Package Type
    CallMinutes
    Texts
    ContractDate

Phone Tbl
    Phone ID
    Model
    Bluetooth
    MPx
    MP3
    Stock Level
    Reorder Level
    Reorder Qty

I am stuck in activity 1! Could anyone tell me the inputs, outputs and processes they have written? (Send private message)

By the way, as soon as I can, I will start to post how to do the forms, because I have a friend who works using SAP and knows all about how to make interfaces, queries, forms etc...

Thank you very much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.