Turn on thread page Beta

GCE Edexcel Applied ICT Unit 7 Using Database Software January 2010 watch

ReputationRep:
    hi guys i am going to be doing activity 3 and im mega stuck on it because of my **** teacher, she hasn't taught anything to do with forms etc. and i haven't got a clue!!! can someone help urgently plzz :-)

ReputationRep:
    My school has done the tables differently - we've got taughts to do 4 tables. One for customer, one for contract, one for phone, one for package.

The package and phone table are pre set - phone has all the stuff about the phone model that is in the phone table text file. The package table has the package type, texts, minutes, and duration. If you look in the files, all the packages match up to the same texts, calls, minutes, for example leopard1 will always have 12 months duration, 500 minutes and 1000 texts while monkey2 will always have 18 months duration, 300 minutes and 750 texts (these are just examples, but it's true).

Then, in the contracts table, there is customer id, contract id, phone type, package type, then bank details. The scenario says that customers give their bank details when they set up a new contract.

And finally, customer has the rest of the stuff I've missed out. All the stuff that looks like it applies to customer like telephone number and such, but not bank account number and sort code.

And for task 1 - all the processes are in the scenario. It needs to be able to add new customers details to the database for example. The input will be data into a form that will be appended to the database via an append query, and the output will be the customers details being added to the database. I think that sort of stuff is right for activity 1?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any inputs/processes/outputs?

Would be handy, have been told there could be as little as 3 tables, but as many as 5.

TABLES FOR A2 EXAM

tblContract: ContractID, CustomerID, TariffID, PhoneID (these are all the IDs needed throughout the database), Date of Contract, Contract Expiry Date, Bank Sort Code, Bank Account, Months.

tblCustomer: CustomerID, Surname, Forename, Address, Postcode.

tblPhone: PhoneID, Make, Model, Screen Type, Released, Form Factor, Camera, No. in stock, Minimum Re-Order.

tblTariff: TariffID, Inclusive Minutes, Inclusive Texts, Cost Per Month, Months.

That is a guess at what to use, good luck people, hope that I have helped you so you help me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathxcs)
    My school has done the tables differently - we've got taughts to do 4 tables. One for customer, one for contract, one for phone, one for package.

The package and phone table are pre set - phone has all the stuff about the phone model that is in the phone table text file. The package table has the package type, texts, minutes, and duration. If you look in the files, all the packages match up to the same texts, calls, minutes, for example leopard1 will always have 12 months duration, 500 minutes and 1000 texts while monkey2 will always have 18 months duration, 300 minutes and 750 texts (these are just examples, but it's true).

Then, in the contracts table, there is customer id, contract id, phone type, package type, then bank details. The scenario says that customers give their bank details when they set up a new contract.

And finally, customer has the rest of the stuff I've missed out. All the stuff that looks like it applies to customer like telephone number and such, but not bank account number and sort code.

And for task 1 - all the processes are in the scenario. It needs to be able to add new customers details to the database for example. The input will be data into a form that will be appended to the database via an append query, and the output will be the customers details being added to the database. I think that sort of stuff is right for activity 1?
    you definitely sure about the bank stuff going into the contract form?
    man that means i gotta change it

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you're doing EBF? The one about the mobile phones?

ReputationRep:
    yeah,
    i really dont understand activity 1 :/

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I've started my exam today and I managed to get Activity 2 done. I was just wondering how many pages has everyone done for Activity two?

ReputationRep:
    What different validation did people get? I have input masks on a few things and also about 3 different validation rules on things such as the Title, but thats about it.

ReputationRep:
    Activity One - It is just a functional specification, or a flowchart on what you have been set out to do using the various decision's such as are you a new/existing customer, then the flowchart goes off in two ways..

Activity Two - Is input masking and validate ruling the hell out of the tables, and then importing.

Activity Three - Is the forms.

I know what they are, but putting them into practice.....

(A GUESS - NOT DONE EXAM AS OF YET)

ReputationRep:
    Just came out of the exam - spend most of the 2 hour sessions completely confused. Something that usually works for some reason didn't.

I went back to do some testing, and found my query to append a new customer didn't work for the customer ID. Now, usually, what I do is have the field as 'Max([Customer ID]+1', and of course append to Customer ID. What this -should- do is take the max record for [Customer ID], which is 21001, add 1 to it, then append it to the table. Now, for some reason, it comes with an error saying it can't have a sum or something. I really don't understand what was up with that...

And how are you meant to generate the contract ID when it's a string of 'EBF###'? I don't understand how we're meant to do contract ID.

ReputationRep:
    Someoone Please Help Me And Tell Me All The Inputs Outputs And Processes On Activity 1 Pleaseee I Dont Get Ittt. Plus Any Help How To Do Activity 3 Will Be Appreciated Activity 3 Is Create A Form Or Forms To Allow Contracts To Be Set Up For New And Existing Customers!!! Helpp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MotionError)
    Someoone Please Help Me And Tell Me All The Inputs Outputs And Processes On Activity 1 Pleaseee I Dont Get Ittt. Plus Any Help How To Do Activity 3 Will Be Appreciated Activity 3 Is Create A Form Or Forms To Allow Contracts To Be Set Up For New And Existing Customers!!! Helpp
    Is this on the exam - or just what a teacher has told you?

Cos yeah if on exam, help please, as teacher thought it was a flowchart lol

ReputationRep:
    I have nearly finished the exam, and understand most of it. So I am willing to help anyone out. Won't give any clues to people who haven't started the exam yet, but will help out people who are already into it. Just with small bits that you don't understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animaniac109)
    I have nearly finished the exam, and understand most of it. So I am willing to help anyone out. Won't give any clues to people who haven't started the exam yet, but will help out people who are already into it. Just with small bits that you don't understand
    Could you help me out with the problems I posted a few posts up please? I've done 5/10 of the hours so far. Also I don't get how you make your database report low stock levels automatically and stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    RedBulls i started the exam today so that is what activity 1 is and das wot activity 3 is!

ReputationRep:
    someone give me a step bu step guide for activity 3 please

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me on Activity 2-Structure. I don't know what you have to put in the input mask and the validation rules. Please help me.

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnotafakeaccount)
    I started my exam on Thursday 14th January and I did the processes, inputs and outputs of the database for activity 1, although I was expecting a functional spec and revising that the night before. I was flicking through the rest of the paper and I was confused at what actually needs to be done in activty 3, 4 was testing this seems quite simple and noone at school (even people with ICT degrees xD) is sure what to do in activity 5. How did everyone else find this paper? Good luck to all, If anyone else requires a little bit of help I'll try my best.:facepalm:

Can you please help me with activity 2. I don't understand what I have put for the input mask and validation rules. Could you please advise me on what I should put.

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    put a present check on the contract date
    a format check on the phone model 3 letters followed by 2 numbers
    combo box and the package type
    imput mask on the phone number

thats what i did anyway

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone managed to do the ContractID so that when a new contract is entered, the ContractID is 'EBC' and then one number higher than the previous record? If so, any help would be appreciated

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.