Turn on thread page Beta

Student finance app watch

ReputationRep:
    I know most of my mates have sent their app but i still dont understand this point. I have a conditional offer from queen mary and i suppose to fill in the course that i'll be doing in september. But what happens if i didnt meet the requirements and decided to study elsewhere? Should i send my app now or wait until my results ?

ReputationRep:
    No-one i know has sent off yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kd3239)
    I know most of my mates have sent their app but i still dont understand this point. I have a conditional offer from queen mary and i suppose to fill in the course that i'll be doing in september. But what happens if i didnt meet the requirements and decided to study elsewhere? Should i send my app now or wait until my results ?
    you should wait til your parents get their p60's from this tax year before you send you're application - it's usually in April sometime. Wait til you have all your offers, have chosen your firm and insurance choices and have your parents p60's and then fill in your finance app. You fill it in as though you are going to to your firm choice.

I wouldn't recommend waiting until your results because you'll have missed the deadline to get your funding for the start of term - and the way it went this year if you don't send your finance app til august you won't get any funding til january!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    you should wait til your parents get their p60's from this tax year before you send you're application - it's usually in April sometime. Wait til you have all your offers, have chosen your firm and insurance choices and have your parents p60's and then fill in your finance app. You fill it in as though you are going to to your firm choice.

I wouldn't recommend waiting until your results because you'll have missed the deadline to get your funding for the start of term - and the way it went this year if you don't send your finance app til august you won't get any funding til january!
    Applying early is good advice

In 2009 the government changed which financial year is to be used so that students can apply earlier than ever before.

For 2010/11 applications the financial year in question is 2008-09

So P60s would have been sent out to employees in April 2009 and self employed people have to submit their 200 tax returns by the end of January 2010

Therefore, all the financial evidence needed to apply should already be available now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neo_2009)
    Applying early is good advice

In 2009 the government changed which financial year is to be used so that students can apply earlier than ever before.

For 2010/11 applications the financial year in question is 2008-09

So P60s would have been sent out to employees in April 2009 and self employed people have to submit their 200 tax returns by the end of January 2010

Therefore, all the financial evidence needed to apply should already be available now.

I didn't know that. Still should wait til you have firmed choices and whatnot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    I didn't know that. Still should wait til you have firmed choices and whatnot
    Oh yeah, no harm in waiting for a little while but after the chaos at SFE last year when their brand new scanning equipment failed (amongst other major problems) and they were unable to catch up with the horrendous backlog I would advise students to apply as early as possible this year just in case it goes wrong again

I haven't heard of any improvements to their systems so I do not predict a smooth ride this year.

ReputationRep:
    Believe me if you are a new student and haven't started to apply you're daft! Give yourself the best chance of getting your money by applying now. Some people are still waiting for last year's money!

EDIT: Just logged in and I can start my app already, so scrap what I originally said .

ReputationRep:
    So can we start applying before we know where we are going????? surely we need to firm a choice?

ReputationRep:
    Do it now. You can change the uni/course you enter later on if needs be, and if you don't meet the requirements and take a gap year or whatever you can cancel your app. I initially applied last year and it was such a hassle, I'm on a gap year now and I started my app last week.. wasting no time. :emo:

(Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    So can we start applying before we know where we are going????? surely we need to firm a choice?
    I think as long as you know in your mind which will be your firm (assuming you hold an offer from them, regardless of whether it's marked on ucas as your firm or not), it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kd3239)
    You fill out the form with the details of your firm choice, if when your results come you don't meet the requirements - you simply change the details to the new university/course :] you probably would have to call the SLC to do this but i'm not entirely sure
    but send you application off as soon as you can, a lot of people i know who didn't apply early enough now receive their loan instalments weeks after everyone else..

Hope you find this useful!

ReputationRep:
    To change course you just send a 'CO1 changes of circumstance form' off (I would post a link to one but they are not available yet)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/DG_183342

It is much easier to change course details after your finance application has been processed rather than send a fresh application off at the last minute.

I work in a local authority processing student loan forms and we used to process absolutely loads of course changes in August and September after A Level results. We always had to and SFE always will do now that they have taken the work from us and centralised it all. No other way round it.

Can you imagine how mental it would be if every student applied in August for their funding?

No, the only way it can be done is to pick the uni you think you are most likely to go to and put that on your student finance application.

Trust me.

ReputationRep:
    COuld someone help me??

Where do you get this student finance app?

I am still waiting for a response form ONE university, but where do i get the form or where/when can I apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawIsBraw)
    COuld someone help me??

Where do you get this student finance app?

I am still waiting for a response form ONE university, but where do i get the form or where/when can I apply?
    You can either apply online here; http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm

or if you're partial to paper forms, you can apply via a glorious 32 page PN1 form; http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_183332.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    You can either apply online here; http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm

or if you're partial to paper forms, you can apply via a glorious 32 page PN1 form; http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_183332.pdf
    Could you tell me the deadline, please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawIsBraw)
    Could you tell me the deadline, please?
    25th June if you're applying for income-assessed finance (i.e, household income under £50k and you want grants/increased loan), or 23rd April for non-assessed finance (basic loans, no grants).

I wouldn't leave it anywhere NEAR that late though - if you've got an offer from the uni which you're intending to put as your firm, apply asap!

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally confused
    I still haven't recieved an offer from Newcastle, who will be my firm choice. My household income is over 50K so what do i actaully have to do. No one at school has really explained the ins and outs of finance. Bad times. Will someone be a gem and explain it to me please? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You must apply for a tuition loan and a non income assessed maintenace loan. See the directgov site here
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm

ReputationRep:
    OK, I get this up.

When it says 'please come back later', I'm classes as a new student right, or do I click the link under 'my applications' and 2010/2011?? Or the parent thing?

I'm not sure what to click and we do this individually whereas school helped with UCAS :o:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    25th June if you're applying for income-assessed finance (i.e, household income under £50k and you want grants/increased loan), or 23rd April for non-assessed finance (basic loans, no grants).

I wouldn't leave it anywhere NEAR that late though - if you've got an offer from the uni which you're intending to put as your firm, apply asap!
    Thanks mate

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.