Turn on thread page Beta

Looking down your nose at people - do you do it? watch

ReputationRep:
    if it gives you pride then you lead a sad life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    I pretend that my nose in an ironsight and imagine myself shooting snot at people.
    Rep for that, haha

ReputationRep:
    Never, it's a pretty disgusting attitude to have imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I am confident and self-assured. Is this a negative thing now?
    There's a difference between confidence and arrogance. You, I'm afraid, are displaying the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    Modest too. I'd laugh the day you saw one of those in a higher position than you. Appearance isn't everything, nor is the ability to be articulate or to be able to talk about the issues you would find yourselves interested in. If you think about it not many people are as fortunate as you are with your education/upbringing.

If you already assume yourself to be "better" than others, rather than just another human being with other downfalls and different assets then you are completely disregarding the possibility that they might one day surprise you by doing something good natured or insightful that you would never dream of doing, you ultimately dismiss them as a stereotype. Who's to say what a definition of "better" would be anyway? It sounds to me like you don't have a particularly open mind, because what is good to you wouldn't be the same to other people.

What I'm trying to say is pull your head out of your arse and cut the elitist approach.
    lol...

i am fairly open-minded. i always accept any standpoint.

I am just an ambitious person by nature, who values success. How is this of any inherent/supreme wrong?

As for elitist, lol.. get over it. I think most people in some sense are.

ReputationRep:
    I make a conscious effort not to look down my nose at anyone tbh.

I could go into a long explanation of why but i doubt any of you could understand it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I look down on a lot of people - I'm reasonably tall (about 5'9, 5'10) and live in a rather 'short' area, so I've got height on a lot of people around these parts.

However, I do not think I'm inherently better than anyone because we all have our merits and our downfalls.
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    I try not to. I sometimes do inadvertently, because we do have a kind of snobby culture at a my school, and I can't help being affected by that.

At the end of the day, it's good to have a variety of people in the world, so I do try to respect people who are vastly different to me.
    Clever, nice kids :yes:

ReputationRep:
    People who do this are very insecure. I generally do feel sorry for them in a way.

ReputationRep:
    All the time. I don't think a variety of people in this world is a good thing. A variety of intelligent people in the world would be a good thing.

When I was younger I used to look down on people. Like those who smoked etc .. but not anymore. I think looking down on people assumes you're right and everyone else is wrong - this line of thought is reserved to religious people only, I think.

ReputationRep:
    I think that my own morals and values, ideas and philosophies are the best to live by; otherwise I wouldn't believe in them.

But I can ackowledge this without looking down my nose at anyone, and I mean anyone - including the 'benefit scrounging chavs'. Everyone is different, no one has the right to decide who is 'better'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I look down on a lot of people - I'm reasonably tall (about 5'9, 5'10) and live in a rather 'short' area, so I've got height on a lot of people around these parts.

However, I do not think I'm inherently better than anyone because we all have our merits and our downfalls.
    I came into this thread with one goal, to make a joke about looking down at people who are shorter than me, you have stopped me from doing so :top2:

ReputationRep:
    the chavs and scallies only are good for sweeping floors and serving in McDonalds, does this give one a sense of wellbeing?
    You do know that McDonald's employ a high number of students who need a flexible job whilst studying? Yes, it isn't exactly great work, but at least they're contributing to society unlike people living off state benefits.

If you look down your nose at people who are trying to support themselves then it's you who needs help. The chavs and scallies I have come into contact with don't even dream about getting up for any kind of work in the morning!

And 'one' does need English lessons if you think that's the correct way to use 'one' :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I look down on people all the time, mostly because I don't look up to people. I'm an arrogant elitist.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a McJob.

(Original post by msarrakc)
    You do know that McDonald's employ a high number of students who need a flexible job whilst studying? Yes, it isn't exactly great work, but at least they're contributing to society unlike people living off state benefits.

If you look down your nose at people who are trying to support themselves then it's you who needs help. The chavs and scallies I have come into contact with don't even dream about getting up for any kind of work in the morning!

And 'one' does need English lessons if you think that's the correct way to use 'one' :yes:
    one concurs :tea:

ReputationRep:
    I am confident and self-assured. Is this a negative thing now?
    No, they are not negative. A complete lack of modesty is, however.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to say that I never look down on people. I am on the most part very accepting of people for who they are and I don't like judging people any more than I like people doing it to me. Only problem is that sometimes, inadvertantly, I do make false assumptions about people. That's human nature. I don't think anyone can claim never to make an unjust assumption about someone and thus 'look down' on them. It's whether you can accept that that is one of your flaws or not that is the real question.

ReputationRep:
    OP, if you keep looking down on people, they'll be looking down on you one day.

In fact, I'm sure many people here are looking down on you now for the sheer arrogance in your post(s).

Just deal with the fact that everyone's different and that is what makes life all the more interesting.

You wouldn't be looking down on the person who helps you get your head out of your arse...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    No one's perfect, mate. We're not expecting you to be Superman!

Were you being sincere/sarcastic? :confused:

If sincere, thanks I guess.

If sarcastic, then please explain what you meant.
    Nooo, serious

ReputationRep:
    im a ******* scally chav.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.