The Student Room Group

gap year at bank of england

how enjoyable is this experience
does it offer career prospects after the year if i decide university isnt the best way
what kind of salary does 'competitive' mean
thanks

Scroll to see replies

All I can say is that I did a week long work experience placement there which was truly fantastic. Everyone was really friendly, yet at the same time clearly a lot of work was being done. Whilst I was there, there were people doing longer lengths of time there. I don't think a year, but certainly a couple of months. I think you could probably pick up some really good contacts from there.
Reply 2
hey guys, just wondering what type of grades the people who have applied to the course are predicted and what type of work experience they have done?
Reply 3
GCSE: 6A*, 2A, 2B
AS: AAAA
A2 (predicted): AAA

KPMG, Solicitors, Parliament

What about you?

I havnt seen many other topics about 2010 applicants, I guess that is good!
Reply 4
Tris.m
GCSE: 6A*, 2A, 2B
AS: AAAA
A2 (predicted): AAA

KPMG, Solicitors, Parliament

What about you?

I havnt seen many other topics about 2010 applicants, I guess that is good!

GCSE 1A* 7A 2B
A2 - Geography/Politics/Economics A*AA (predicted)

leader of a youth movement
Shadowing a high court judge (not that relevant but anything is good)
Centre for the study of financial innovation (bank of england funded think tank)

yeah, iv not seen any useful 2010 threads which is really annoying, it would be nice to have some discussion once interview invites come out
Reply 5
7 days till deadline, anyone heard anything?
Reply 6
ahh, I assumed it was the standard any time until the 26th, rather than ON ther 26th
Reply 7
Hey, i got a phonecall today inviting me to first round tests or something? Anyone get this?
Hey,

I got an email from The Bank of England this afternoon,

I believe they have probably sent out all interviews and rejections today.
Reply 9
rejection....
Reply 10
got an email earlier on to say i had got through to the test stages
hellamoto
rejection....

Me too. There must have been some very strong applicants.

How are your grades, work experience etc?
Reply 12
GCSE: 4A* 6A
AS: 5 above 90%
A2: predicted A*A*A*AA (General studies, economics, maths, politics, history respectively)
Work experience: Parliament, Part-time job
Other: 1st team Rugby and Hockey
Reply 13
got rejected as well. rats
Reply 14
how hard do you reckon the first test will be?
Reply 15
I have no idea, looking at the sample test they have sent us it seems really easy but it can't be that simple.
Reply 16
Will the first stage be just tests, and no interviews?
Reply 17
UFK
Will the first stage be just tests, and no interviews?

Yeh i emailed them asking that and they confirmed it was just tests. Here is their reply to me:

Dear Paddy

The first stage is purely testing - if you pass these tests you will be then invited to the final stage which will involve an interview and group exercise.

Kind regards

The Recruitment Team
Bank of England
Reply 18
do we just go to reception on the day and say we're taking the gap year test? there seems to be no other info in the email.
PaddyD15
I have no idea, looking at the sample test they have sent us it seems really easy but it can't be that simple.

I thought the same thing. Also thought it was a bit strange to invite everyone up and offer to pay travel expenses for something that could be done online, Deloitte-style.

Anyone know any other girls that applied? It's looking pretty male dominated at the moment...

Quick Reply

Latest