Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaddyD15)
    It depends on my grades in the summer cos at the moment i have some solid AS levels if i get a few A* will probably take a year out and re apply to oxford/cambridge not sure which what about you? where have you got offers from?
    well I ****** up my first year pretty badly, was going to apply to oxford but didn't bother. I was still predicted good grades so I went ahead and got rejections from LSE, Durham, Warwick. Got offers from exeter and lancaster but not keen, so if I do well in the summer I'll apply again next year. So, pretty similar boat to you it looks like!

ReputationRep:
    what did you apply for? Did you re sit in jan? if so how did you do?

ReputationRep:
    what did you apply for? Did you re sit in jan? if so how did you do?
    PPE and yeah, got all my grades up to As now, so I won't be making the same mistake as last year and assuming I can take all my exams with no revision!
    Good luck with the interview

ReputationRep:
    i also got an email on the 8th inviting me to the selection centre

any ideas on how to prepare, or what could be asked?

ReputationRep:
    Right, so the wait begins. How did everyone's interviews/discussions go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bookshophannah)
    Right, so the wait begins. How did everyone's interviews/discussions go?
    when do we hear?

ReputationRep:
    when do we hear?
    Friday 7th I think? How was yours?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone get the job?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone get the job?
    Still waiting for a reply. Anyone received a reply yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UFK)
    Still waiting for a reply. Anyone received a reply yet?
    Yeah, got a phone call earlier from Hannah, I've been put in Notes

But they're obviously not giving replies by email, so the process is going to take longer! I'm sure you'll get news soon

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, got a phone call earlier from Hannah, I've been put in Notes

But they're obviously not giving replies by email, so the process is going to take longer! I'm sure you'll get news soon
    Well done. How comes they are contacting by phone?

Anyone else with offers or rejections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UFK)
    Well done. How comes they are contacting by phone?
    I guess it's more informal, plus the places are tailored to department and it would take just as long to write each individual email than it would to give everyone a phone call.

If you get it, what are you doing for accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's more informal, plus the places are tailored to department and it would take just as long to write each individual email than it would to give everyone a phone call.

If you get it, what are you doing for accommodation?
    Well I live in London so wouldn't need to rent out any accomodation

ReputationRep:
    If anyone else gets a place and is interested in a flatshare or similar, let me know

ReputationRep:
    hey, congratulations! i got a place in banking operations --> payments.

when are you starting? july / september?

ReputationRep:
    i have been offered banking services! This year I applied for 2gap schemes, and I hoped I would only get one so that a decision would not be necessary.On the same day that the bank called I got offered a 1 year teaching job in Madrid.

I genuinelly have no idea what to do. I want to be a city-boy banker. I could either go to Madrid, become very very good at spanish (already A-level standard) and then do it at univeristy,also get loads of teaching/public speaking experience. Or I could do this Bank of england thing.

what should i do!!!!!!does anyone know what this bank job entails? whats more impressive to employers....god knows!argh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max0146)
    hey, congratulations! i got a place in banking operations --> payments.

when are you starting? july / september?
    congratulations to you too! Don't know about you but I still can't believe I got it...

Not sure about the exact start date yet, I was hoping to start in september but apparently my team want me starting earlier (probably beginning of august).

Are you going to be moving to London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AFAIK)
    i have been offered banking services! This year I applied for 2gap schemes, and I hoped I would only get one so that a decision would not be necessary.On the same day that the bank called I got offered a 1 year teaching job in Madrid.

I genuinelly have no idea what to do. I want to be a city-boy banker. I could either go to Madrid, become very very good at spanish (already A-level standard) and then do it at univeristy,also get loads of teaching/public speaking experience. Or I could do this Bank of england thing.

what should i do!!!!!!does anyone know what this bank job entails? whats more impressive to employers....god knows!argh!
    wow, well done for getting both; must be nice to have choice

I guess it depends whether you intend to live abroad in the future; living in another country for a year could show serious maturity, even if the work itself isn't so relevant. And obviously BoE will look good on an application because it's such a well recognised name (and if you're planning on doing spanish at uni, that would show an interest in banking for future employers)

I know which one I would choose Which part of banking services is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AFAIK)

Take the spanish school one, then i can have your Bank job :P ha only joking. Congratulations to all of you, hope you all have a good gap year

ReputationRep:
    Take the spanish school one, then i can have your Bank job :P ha only joking. Congratulations to all of you, hope you all have a good gap year
    Oh no, I'm so sorry you didn't get it! What are you going to be doing in september then?

Hopefully AFAIK will take your advice and you'll be next on the list

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.