Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

gap year at bank of england watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bookshophannah)
    Oh no, I'm so sorry you didn't get it! What are you going to be doing in september then?

Hopefully AFAIK will take your advice and you'll be next on the list
    Haha yeah hopefully. Um im not sure i do want to do a gap year so probably try and sort out something like teach english somewhere or try and work in an embassy just see what i can get, or might just go to university! Probs dependant on the grades, how did you do in the BoE tests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaddyD15)
    Haha yeah hopefully. Um im not sure i do want to do a gap year so probably try and sort out something like teach english somewhere or try and work in an embassy just see what i can get, or might just go to university! Probs dependant on the grades, how did you do in the BoE tests?
    yeah, go abroad! good luck with your grades any how

I got 97th percentile on spelling and grammar, 99th maths and 95th logic. You?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, go abroad! good luck with your grades any how

I got 97th percentile on spelling and grammar, 99th maths and 95th logic. You?
    Same maths and logic but like 35th on spelling and grammar haha, it was soooo bad. It never was my strong suit.

ReputationRep:
    Same maths and logic but like 35th on spelling and grammar haha, it was soooo bad. It never was my strong suit.
    Haha, fair enough! If I wasn't an English student completely obsessed with grammar, I wouldn't have done well at all; there was so much to get through!

How did you think the interview day went then? Weird discussion topic...

ReputationRep:
    Haha, fair enough! If I wasn't an English student completely obsessed with grammar, I wouldn't have done well at all; there was so much to get through!

How did you think the interview day went then? Weird discussion topic...
    yeh i think it went alright, i had prepared for a massive competency based interview but didn't ask that much of the ones i had prepared . I wasn't exp[ecting a few questions so probably slipped up on a few of them. you?

ReputationRep:
    have any of you recevied the offer letter yet? where do i find 'the standard online security questionnaire'?

ReputationRep:
    yeh i think it went alright, i had prepared for a massive competency based interview but didn't ask that much of the ones i had prepared . I wasn't exp[ecting a few questions so probably slipped up on a few of them. you?
    Aww, I'm gutted you didn't get it, Southerners need to stick together! But I guess it's good experience for the future and you can apply as a Grad and know what to expect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max0146)
    have any of you recevied the offer letter yet? where do i find 'the standard online security questionnaire'?
    Yeah, I've just got everything sealed and ready to send, it took me hours to work out what needed to be sent where!

I think the security questionnaire refers to the MHG thing? Although it said on the Joiner Info website that we would be sent a paper screening form, but I never had anything so I assumed that you now have to print it out yourself. Pretty complicated...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've just got everything sealed and ready to send, it took me hours to work out what needed to be sent where!

I think the security questionnaire refers to the MHG thing? Although it said on the Joiner Info website that we would be sent a paper screening form, but I never had anything so I assumed that you now have to print it out yourself. Pretty complicated...
    I didnt receive a paper screening form either although im assuming we just print out the MHG one and send it to the bank.

When i first saw all the stuff that needed to be filled out i was so confused :eek3: but it was ok once you got to grips with it. Got to find out how many days off school ive had today when i go in for my exams...i have a feeling its going to be mroe than 7 days :P

ReputationRep:
    I didnt receive a paper screening form either although im assuming we just print out the MHG one and send it to the bank.

When i first saw all the stuff that needed to be filled out i was so confused :eek3: but it was ok once you got to grips with it. Got to find out how many days off school ive had today when i go in for my exams...i have a feeling its going to be mroe than 7 days :P
    yeah same, but i guessed that probably only a tenth of my absence is actually genuine illness, the rest is just a poor work ethic! So I guessed and it just happened to be less than 7

sent it all off this morning though, so hopefully it doesn't all get lost in the post...

do you live in london already?

ReputationRep:
    well i got mine today....authorised absences for 2009-2010 was 29!!!! oh dear.

but then i realised thats including morning and afternoons and i took out all the dentist/doctors/interviews/uni visits so it went down to 10 days but really only 6 of them were illness the rest were days i didnt think were worth going into school....Religious studies day....no thank you :P

yeh already living in london --> Kent

what are you plannign for accomodation up here??

ReputationRep:
    well i got mine today....authorised absences for 2009-2010 was 29!!!! oh dear.

but then i realised thats including morning and afternoons and i took out all the dentist/doctors/interviews/uni visits so it went down to 10 days but really only 6 of them were illness the rest were days i didnt think were worth going into school....Religious studies day....no thank you :P

yeh already living in london --> Kent

what are you plannign for accomodation up here??
    Oh that's not too bad, you planning on commuting every day then? I have no idea what I'm doing about accommodation yet! I've asked Hannah (recruitment woman) to email everyone else who got the placement to see if anyone was interested in sharing a cheap flat, so I'm hoping to hear back from her!

I could commute for a bit if I had to but I'd be on a train for 3 hours a day! I want to have a life during my gap year! Hoping to find something really cheap in Shoreditch/Bethnal Green. Any tips??

ReputationRep:
    yeh that would be such a ****** journey especially with train fares and such. nope sorry havent got a clue about inner london accomodation. Kent is a suburb so i just have to get a train into cannon street so not that bad

btw what did you put in your acceptance letter? was it long?

ReputationRep:
    what was the excel test like for you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have a first round face to face interview with the bank of england for a trade settlements jobs position. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips etc that may be useful e.g. questions they ask etc.
    Thank you in advance

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.