Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When you apply for a degree in the university, there are some which a 'and and some which have 'with'. for example - english with sociology; english and french. what;'s is the difference b/w them? do you get the same amount of credits for each or is it different?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I believe and is 50:50 and with is 75:25 or less

ReputationRep:
    Mate don't worry. It's just a different title for the course. It's like...I applied for 5 unis - 4 were tittle Business Studies & 1 was tittle Business & Management. It's still the same content in the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Posh608)
    When you apply for a degree in the university, there are some which a 'and and some which have 'with'. for example - english with sociology; english and french. what;'s is the difference b/w them? do you get the same amount of credits for each or is it different?
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    I believe and is 50:50 and with is 75:25 or less
    Here at St Andrews, 'and' means 50-50 and 'with' means 66-34. The Wise One may be correct at other universities, but that's the general idea.

(Original post by Skinsie)
    Mate don't worry. It's just a different title for the course. It's like...I applied for 5 unis - 4 were tittle Business Studies & 1 was tittle Business & Management. It's still the same content in the course.
    This is wrong.
    Let's take an example of "Physics and Chemistry" and "Physics with Chemistry"
    In the first case you would do a less physics and a more chemistry than in the second case - the course content is definitely not the same. There will be a lot of overlap, sure - but they're not just different names for the same course.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    At my University, 'and' is a Joint Honours course. This is where time is divided equally between two subjects i.e. 50:50. In 'with' combinations, the first named subject contributes 2/3 of the subject content.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.