Turn on thread page Beta

My Best Friends Ex?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well, one of my closest friends was "seeing" this girl. They weren't officially together, and he saw it as merely sex. They were never labelled as boyfriend and girlfriend?

They stopped doing their little relationship thing after 2 months as he cheated on her.

She started speaking to me alot, got close, I think she likes me, and vice versa?

Is it okay? My best friend said he wouldn't mind, but I'm not sure if I believe him ...

Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    i doubt he'd care, probably sees her as another conquest that can be shared. get tips from him on what she likes in bed.

ReputationRep:
    If they were not lablled as bf and gf then there is no problem in it. Well I do not think that there is. If he says it is ok then you will just have to take his word for it that he is. At least you have spoken to him about it and not just got together without talking to him.

As long as she is not using you to get back at him. That is the only thing that I can think of as some girls are like that. Not all but some do do it.

I do not think she will but it is just an opinion just to make you aware.

ReputationRep:
    "Never have sex with your bro's ex" - Barnabus Stinson, The Bro Code

ReputationRep:
    Don't share girls. Go and get your own.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. It's not like your stealing her from him. Also you will have a stronger bond with your mate as you have both banged the same chick, maybe you could get him in for a spit roast .

ReputationRep:
    Get in there son....
    Nothing stopping you so grow a pair.. =]

ReputationRep:
    well its 50 50 you cant have both in life so its who you want more some girl or your best friend...... "hard choice not"

ReputationRep:
    He said it was okay!

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like he wouldn't care if he cheated on her, saw it only as sex and has told you it wouldn't bother him.

However, if you do start seeing her, be prepared for the inevitably endless jibes from him to you about sloppy seconds etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    Legen- wiat for it (and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the next word is)- Dary comment!

This ismy advice also, btw. Also He says he is fine with it but it might be a little weird. What if she compares you (haha) or is just using you to get back at him?

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing, I was quite good friends with her when they were together ...

They both seemed to move on pretty quickly and she keeps reiterating that she's interesting in having something with "a good guy" (as she defines my best mate as a total ****).

I don't know if this makes a difference, but the girl he cheated (if he did ACTUALLY CHEAT? I'm not sure) on her with, he's still seeing her now so he didn't exactly take too long to move on.

I've read a few threads on here and people say it's a definite no no, if they were together a long time and properly together, but they weren't. At the end of the day, I know he'd probably do the same if he was me, so I think i'm gna go for it!

She's often working away (other country) and leaves for month spells at a time, but she basically told me she just needs a "good friend who means a little bit more ..." and i think that could be me ...

We'll see what happens I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd avoid the best friends ex like the plague. Friends is okay, but more? Nah. Also, ex's best friend is not a good way to go either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    This. /Bro fist.

ReputationRep:
    Do it but be prepared for the consequences

ReputationRep:
    He's given you 'permission', so to speak, and they're not together anymore because he couldn't keep it in his pants, so I'd imagine he didn't really care emotionally for her very much at all. I say you're good to go!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a bad idea. Whatever your friend says, he will still think something of you for going after a girl he used to see. Either he'll disrespect you as a bad friend, or disrespect you for not being able to find someone for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    People quoting the 'bro code' have never been in this situation. Basically, it's a way for people to look like they know what they're talking about. Most people that quote it are probably virgins anyway.

I'm in the same situation, there's far too many taboo's around relationships and sex. My friend cheated on her multiple times in a few months. He won't be exactly pleased that we're getting together, but at the end of the day - our relationship is between two people, he's not involved.

tldr; go for it. he'll get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    People quoting the 'bro code' have never been in this situation. Basically, it's a way for people to look like they know what they're talking about. Most people that quote it are probably virgins anyway.

I'm in the same situation, there's far too many taboo's around relationships and sex. My friend cheated on her multiple times in a few months. He won't be exactly pleased that we're getting together, but at the end of the day - our relationship is between two people, he's not involved.

tldr; go for it. he'll get over it.
    It's nice to know i'm not alone!

To be honest, my friend probably won't give a crap, he'll **** countless other girls so he doesn't really care i guess! Also, if he values our friendship, he'll still keep it, 'cos i want to!

Oh ye, one more complication I was just made aware of ...

My best mate had chlamydia, and most probably gave it to this girl, I've tried telling my friend to tell her (I've read about what can happen with infertility etc) but I don't want to be the one to have to tell her ...?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.