Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people that go to uni move away from family and friends and spend three years living in a place that they are not familar with and where, initially, they don't know anybody.

Did your university do anything to help you feel more at home and make new friends?
    What was it?
    Did it work?
    If it didn't, what could/should they have done?

I had a facebook group to use, which was reasonably useful.

ReputationRep:
    I found all my flatmates on a facebook group before I'd met them.
    My halls are a kind of student village and in the first week people were just randomly knocking on eachother's doors to say hello.
    Going out with my new flatmates was fun as well and helped us get comfortable with eachother.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we live in a student village type thing aswell so you were never really alone enough during freshers to feel homesick imo.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i spent enough time concious during freshers to feel homesick lol, seriously though, freshers did offer plenty of chances to meet ppl.

But how about before freshers, like, did the university do anything when you had applied for a place or recieve an offer. I read something about Uo Bradford doing some online stuff for new students and (according to a Dean anyway) it was useful. Did anybody experience anything like this

ReputationRep:
    We had a peer guide system. Basically 2nd years from the same subject as us met up with us on our first day here. My peer guide was really good and took us out on the first couple of evenings to show us around where all the good pubs are etc. I met this one girl in my peer group who I'm quite good friends with now, becuase we met on the first day here .
    Then we had also had a lot of event organised by my department, like a pub quiz and treasure hunt.

ReputationRep:
    @Flinchalot - that sounds like a pretty good set-up, peer guides and events organised by departments.

I know that some people have no problem meeting new people, but some do struggle - both the peer guide system and deparment events sound like good ways to break the ice and to get to know the area around the university.

ReputationRep:
    Any body else have any good, bad or indifferent experiences?

How much should universities help us to settle in?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.