Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I have a question about hygiene as a career.
    Do hygienists get paid an hourly wage or do they get paid based on how many patients they do in a day? Kind of like a commission?
    What happens if a patient doesn't show up or if the surgery isn't getting much business that day- does the hygienist lose money?

ReputationRep:
    i think it varies from surgery to surgery in one of my practices teh hygienist got an hourly wage in the other it was per patient so i presume in teh 2nd instance they could lost money if surgery wasnt busy - but in the first instance the hygienist had 30 mins per patient and in the 2nd the hygienist only got 15 minutes which was atight push!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJH090384)
    i think it varies from surgery to surgery in one of my practices teh hygienist got an hourly wage in the other it was per patient so i presume in teh 2nd instance they could lost money if surgery wasnt busy - but in the first instance the hygienist had 30 mins per patient and in the 2nd the hygienist only got 15 minutes which was atight push!
    Thanks for your reply. How much roughly would a hygienist make per hour or per patient? I have looked at salary websites online but they generally give an annual figure- I understand that this would be based on full time hours however many hygienists only work part time.

ReputationRep:
    i did a wee bit of research google etc and it seems to range from £25-£35 per hour dont know about per patient.

but also most hygienists are self employed so you would need to work out ur own tax etc

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I saw that too £22-£35
    If you were a Hygienist at a NHS and Private mixed clinic, Is the hygiene work in the case of NHS patients still graded under the UDA eg 1 UDA? = £X amount .... So the same as the Dentist gets? I guess most NHS work is from referrals from the dentist? But guess some would be some non referal NHS patients just wanting scaling/routine work done.
    My local hygienist charges on private £35 for 20 mins or £45 for 30 mins appointment. -Im guessing this is the self employed private rate. So how does it work if your self employeed but doing NHS also?

ReputationRep:
    You see the thing I worry about is that the career may become obsolete. Dentists might decide to start doing the hygiene work themselves and make more money themselves?
    Do you think that could happen?

ReputationRep:
    I have also worried about that too. But then again, Ive also read that Dentists love employing you esp if you have the therapy in addition rather than just hygiene.
    I think the reason is for the cosmetic teeth whitening side of it and doing things like making mouth gaurds etc, I think it depends on how busy he/she is, I know theyd rather do fillings as even on UDA NHS they get more than they would on a time spent per patient wise to revenue, than it takes to do a scaling which is alot longer and only 1 UDA.
    Well last couple of times I went to the dentist- First time he did a scaling, second time he said oh Im not sure if the hygienist is availiable any time soon as she's on holiday... Guess he was too busy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James77)
    I know theyd rather do fillings as even on UDA NHS they get more than they would on a time spent per patient wise to revenue, than it takes to do a scaling which is alot longer and only 1 UDA.
    I don't know what UDAs are... but basically the dentist would rather let someone else do the easier work because he could spend the time then doing something more technical himself?

ReputationRep:
    FOUND THIS IN GOOGLE dentists have been paid according to how many "Units of Dental Activity" they do in a year.

One UDA is worth between £15 and £25 - it varies around the country, and the more desperate an area is for NHS dentists, the more a UDA is worth. The actual cash value of a UDA is set by the local NHS Primary Care Trust, in discussion with the Dental Practice. If a dentist does a "simple" course of treatment, involving perhaps Exam, Radiographs, OHI, Perio Care, they will be awarded 1 UDA.

A treatment that involves fillings or extractions will earn the dentist 3 UDAs, and a course of treatment that needs lab work (like dentures or crowns) earns 12 UDAs.

This is rather similar to the "points" system you work with as a student. The difference is that UDAs go by the completed treatment, not the number of items in the treatment plan.
    - If you do a treatment with crowns, you will get 12 UDAs. (£180). It doesn't matter if it is 1 crown or 20 crowns, you still get a total of 12 UDAs.
    - If you do a treatment involving endo, you get 3 UDAs (£45). Again, it doesn't matter if it is a simple upper incisor, or 5 difficult molars - the "payment" is the same. (If you then restore the teeth with normal fillings, that is also included in the 3 UDAs for that course of treatment.)

the dentist i currently work with doesnt believe there is a need for hygienists but thats his own opinion. in the last practice i worked at teh dentists were far to busy to do their own scaling so always referred to the hygienist (we had 2) and they were both booked up 3 months in advance - this was a private one. teh practice charged £40 per scale (2 patients an hour) and the hygienist got paid around £30 an hour i think.

ReputationRep:
    A UDA is a “Unit of Dental Activity” undertaken by an NHS dentist.

A UDA depends on the type of work undertaken. A dentist is contracted by his PCT (Primary Care Trust) to do a set number of UDAs and dentists have to be within 4% of their targets. If dentists don’t achieve their contracted number of UDAs they are financially penalised by their PCT. If dentists do more than their contracted number of UDAs they don’t get paid any more.

The 3 Band System

This determines what patients pay and the amount of UDAs a dentist gets.

• Band 1 excluding urgent treatment – 1 UDA
    • Band 1 urgent treatment only – 1.2 UDAs
    • Band 2 – 3 UDAs
    • Band 3 – 12 UDAs
    • Issue of prescription – 0.75 UDA
    • Repair of dental appliance (denture) – 1 UDA
    • Repair of dental appliance (bridge) – 1.2 UDAs
    • Removal of stitches – 1 UDA
    • Stopping bleeding – 1.2 UDAs

Band 1
    Diagnosis, treatment planning and maintenance
    Examination, x-rays, scale and polish, preventative work, for example an assessment of a patient’s oral health, minor changes to dentures.

Band 2
    Treatment
    Simple treatment, for example fillings (including root canal treatment), extractions and periodontal (gum) treatment.

Band 3
    Complex treatment that includes a lab element, for example bridges, crowns and dentures (excludes mouth guards).

Urgent treatment
    Examination, x-rays, dressings. Re-cementing crowns which have become loose, up to two extractions and one filling.

A UDA is variable, one UDA might be worth anywhere between £15 and £25, but can be more than this or less. The actual UDA varies according to where in the country a dentist is located (although it might vary street to street) and the amount of work previously carried out by the dentist before the new contract. It is thought that the more desperate a PCT is for NHS dentists, the more a UDA might be worth.

What does this mean for the dentist?

Example – One Crown
    A dentist is allocated 12 UDAs for doing a crown. So if the UDA is valued at £25 it means a dentist is paid £300 for doing one crown (£25 x 12 UDAs). If a dentist does 2 or 3, or more crowns he still only gets paid £300 even though he has a lot more lab work to pay for.

Example – Several fillings, x-rays, scale and polish
    A dentist is allocated 3 UDAs for doing the above work, so a dentist is paid £75 (£25 x 3 UDAs).

Example – One filling
    A dentist is allocated 3 UDAs for one filling, so a dentist is paid £75 (£25 x 3 UDAs)

Example – One extraction
    A dentist is allocated 3 UDAs for one extraction, so a dentist is paid £75 (£25 x 3 UDAs)

Example – Root filling (a complex and time consuming process to do properly)
    A root filling might take 1-2 hours or more. A dentist is allocated 3 UDAs for a root filling so a dentist is paid £75 (£25 x 3 UDAs)

Above is from a dental forum. So Im wondering does this apply to hygienists?? (obviously on the appropriate banding) But you are right... he/she would prefer to do the quicker turnaround more money per time spent jobs

ReputationRep:
    mustve been googling at the same time RJH090384

ReputationRep:
    It worries me, because studying hygiene is going to cost me a LOT of money (I'm not eligible for maintenance loans and my status for tuition loans is dodgy) so I want to make sure the jobs are there.

What is the job market like for hygienists at the moment? Is it hard to get 4/5 days a week work?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen generally there seem to be more jobs in London and southern UK advertised. (Not saying there isn't any elsewhere as there is, but alot more seem to be down that way). I definetely feel though that I would have to be like an associate dentist and work at a few practices, kind of like having alot of part time jobs added up to make a full week. But it would depend as some practices want to employ you.
    Maybe contact the BSDHT ? http://www.bsdht.org.uk/
    It's abit sad that there isn't generally alot of info on dental hygienst's -either income, job market, demand

ReputationRep:
    lucky leaf i though everyone got the general student loan of £3000? if you do the diploma rather than the degree the nhs fund it - no tuition fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJH090384)
    lucky leaf i though everyone got the general student loan of £3000? if you do the diploma rather than the degree the nhs fund it - no tuition fees
    I am from Ireland and spent a year outside the EEA so I am not guaranteed a tuition loan, and the NHS will not fund anything for me because I'm not from the UK.

ReputationRep:
    OH POOP
    sorry out of advice!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.