Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is convergent and divergent? In sequences and series watch

ReputationRep:
    Write down the first six terms of the following sequences, and decide which of the sequences appear to be convergnet and which appear to be divergent. For those which appear convergent, determine the limiting value to which they are tending.

a) u_n = 2n+1
    = 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13

e) u_n = \frac{1}{n}
    = 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6

i) u_n = n(n+1)(n+2)
    = 6, 24, 60, 120, 210, 336

ReputationRep:
    2n +1 is divergent
    1/n is converging to 0
    n(nplus1)(nplus2) js divergent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon1212)
    2n +1 is divergent
    1/n is converging to 0
    n(nplus1)(nplus2) js divergent
    Why though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Why though?
    If a sequence is divergent the differences between terms either stays the same or gets bigger. in the case of 3,5,7,9 the difference is clearly the same. for the other divergent sequence the differences between terms is clearly getting bigger for each one.
    For a conergent sequence the differences between terms gets smaller moving through the sequence which is clearly evident from 1 to 1/2 to 1/3 etc...the sequence will keep on going till its 1/10000000000000000 to 1/infinity - the tiniest fraction, and is therefore converging towards zero.

OP: what level are you studying at?

ReputationRep:
    Convergent is when the numbers come together.

Divergent is when the numbers climax seperately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    OP: what level are you studying at?
    AS level, C2.
    So just the basics I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon1212)
    If a sequence is divergent the differences between terms either stays the same or gets bigger. in the case of 3,5,7,9 the difference is clearly the same. for the other divergent sequence the differences between terms is clearly getting bigger for each one.
    For a conergent sequence the differences between terms gets smaller moving through the sequence which is clearly evident from 1 to 1/2 to 1/3 etc...the sequence will keep on going till its 1/10000000000000000 to 1/infinity - the tiniest fraction, and is therefore converging towards zero.
    Not true, consider sqrt(1),sqrt(2),sqrt(3)....

I can't think of a good way of explaining this to someone doing C2, but I'll give it a shot: Basically, if the sequence looks like it's getting bigger than any number you could possibly think of, we say it 'diverges to infinity'. Like 2n+1, well, if I guess 100 then you might say 'but putting n=100 in there gives me a bigger number!'
    Similarly, if it's the other way round and getting smaller (more negative) than any number you can imagine then it's probably diverging to -infinity. Like -1,-3,-5,.... will go to - infinity .
    If the number looks like it's getting closer and closer to another number- so close that however 'close' you want it to get it will eventually get that close...then we say it's 'converging' to that number . Like for example, 1/n^2, well the first few terms are 1/1, 1/4, 1/9, 1/16... hmm, looks like these denominators are getting bigger and bigger, and when that happens the number is getting closer and closer to 0. Infact, however close we want it, like, if we wanted it within 1/16 of 0, it'll eventually get that close! So it converges to 0.

ReputationRep:
    Are you good at visualising things? Graphs?

The graph of  y = \frac{1}{x} can be seen to be getting closer and closer to a finite point (in this case the x-axis -> so it's converging on 0)

The graph of  y = x^2 is getting further and further away from any finite point.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer...
    Attached Images

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.