Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applying to be a pilot in the RAF help. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, my first post so be gentle .

I have been thinking about applying for the RAF for sometime and have always been focused on wanting to be a pilot.
    I have had a good look on the internet at the requirements and training but everything seems to be very vague (doesn't seem to be that much information on the MOD website either 'http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/pilot.cfm')

I am going to ring up and book an appointment at my local AFCO but was wondering if I could get a heads up first.

So I was just wondering if there was anybody here who has been through the process and if you could give me a more detailed idea on the application process and training/tests etc.

Also are there any requirements that they prefer that are not listed on the website? i.e certain qualifications?

I know its a lot of questions, I am a little inquisitive.

Thanks in advance guys,
    Rick.

Details about myself: Male, 18, 10 GCSE's A*-B, AS levels in Biology, Psychology, Sociology and English language. Going back to college (Sept `10) to do a BTEC (Equiv to 3 A levels) in graphic design.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    OK - I'll be fluffy.
    Stop posting, use the search function, read the answers to your questions that have been asked and eloquently answered many times. The RAF Careers website isn't vague - it is quite specific. What do you think you need to know that isn't there? You don't need anything before you go to the AFCO - they are there to answer - it is their job.
    If they require a qualification, it is explicit. If they don't, then they don't. The educational requirements are a hoop to jump through - a basic sift.
    Now go and read.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    And make sure, from the AFCO, that the RAF considers a BTEC in Graphic Design is equivalent to 3 A levels, or indeed, sufficient for Officer entry.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Ooohhhh - very good point there TPD - agree on that one. It does sound a bit Underwater Basketweaving to be 3 x A Levels to the RAF.

ReputationRep:
    From the RAF website:
    2 A-levels or 3 Highers or equivalent,
    What you want to do is get down to the AFCO, start the process and do the presentation. I have just done my presentation yesterday and the CO went through everything I would need to know for the filter interview. They give you the application forms and if I remembered correctly, you have a year to hand them in.

You may want to have other jobs you would like to do other than Pilot; since there is stiff competition for the branch. You can have up to 6 jobs on the application.

Side note: Majority of information you need to know is on the RAF website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samuel1508)
    You may want to have other jobs you would like to do other than Pilot; since there is stiff competition for the branch. You can have up to 6 jobs on the application.
    Massive warning on that one. If you want to be a Pilot soooo much and, of course, that is very justifiable, think how you would feel if you didn't get in as a Pilot and you spend 20 years of your career as a blunty with a chip on your shoulder.

Aircrew knobbishness aside, if all you want to do is be a Pilot, then only put Pilot down, you may massively regret it if not.

Oh, also, get a degree. I didn't, it's worth doing. You get paid more and people don't patronise you quite as much if your rank is a bit thicker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm_UK)
    Massive warning on that one. If you want to be a Pilot soooo much and, of course, that is very justifiable, think how you would feel if you didn't get in as a Pilot and you spend 20 years of your career as a blunty with a chip on your shoulder.

Aircrew knobbishness aside, if all you want to do is be a Pilot, then only put Pilot down, you may massively regret it if not.

Oh, also, get a degree. I didn't, it's worth doing. You get paid more and people don't patronise you quite as much if your rank is a bit thicker.
    If you just want to be a pilot and only put that on your application then it makes them think that it is the only reason you joining, which isnt a good move imho. At the end of the day, if you really want to be in the RAF and at the end of selection they say, "well you dont quite have the aptitude for pilot but have the aptitude for ATC", for example, I personally would consider it. Otherwise its a years wait to do it all over again and you might not get the scores for pilot still.

As for the degree, you do not have to go and get a degree before joining. I asked this question during the presentation and it is quite feasable to do a degree while serving. Yes you have a lower rank and pay after passing out, however, this increases after a certain period of time anyway.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you just want to be a pilot and only put that on your application then it makes them think that it is the only reason you joining, which isnt a good move imho. At the end of the day, if you really want to be in the RAF and at the end of selection they say, "well you dont quite have the aptitude for pilot but have the aptitude for ATC", for example, I personally would consider it.
    However, if all you REALLY want to do is fly, stick to just wanting to fly. Some people don't want to do anything else as 'being in the RAF' is a bit of a broad brush and like saying 'I want to work for Honda' if you want to be an F1 driver and nothing else.

Otherwise its a years wait to do it all over again and you might not get the scores for pilot still.
    Which isn't that long if you are taking about what might do until you are 55 years old.

As for the degree, you do not have to go and get a degree before joining.
    Factually correct, however...

I asked this question during the presentation and it is quite feasable to do a degree while serving. Yes you have a lower rank and pay after passing out, however, this increases after a certain period of time anyway.
    It isn't easy to find the time to study along with everything else. Your pay and rank will be behind your peers by 3 years - which is lot.

I joined without a degree. I would advise anyone to go and get a degree first, when life expects you to, then join. It is a win win.

ReputationRep:
    just a quick thing I don't think anyone has mentioned...

is your eyesight good enough and are you not too tall/short to be a pilot.....I know a guy who went all the way...but got rejected for bieng 1cm too tall....
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    I know a guy who went all the way...but got rejected for bieng 1cm too tall....
    You mean you know a guy who applied, and was rejected; getting as far as a medical isn't "all the way" at all!

Another comment on in-service degrees. Especially as a pilot, there is no way at all you will have time in your first 1.5 tours or so to even think about starting a degree. Yes, it's feasible, but almost impossible practically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    You mean you know a guy who applied, and was rejected; getting as far as a medical isn't "all the way" at all!

Another comment on in-service degrees. Especially as a pilot, there is no way at all you will have time in your first 1.5 tours or so to even think about starting a degree. Yes, it's feasible, but almost impossible practically.
    Well, it said on his rejection letter that he was immense in all other aspects and would have recieved it, however due to his height, they were unable to....but as you say....don't even think about an in-service degree I'd say for the first 2-3years....
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Dea Dude

You wuz immense in it all man. You rocked evry test to thu max. Too tall tho dude. Soz.

OKTHNXBAI

Perhaps not.

ReputationRep:
    Pro has a sense of humour...? What's the world coming to!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If I didn't laugh, the truly bone questions and obtuse individuals would have me in tears.

ReputationRep:
    I have no need to laugh, I simply wait for you to turn up and reply to such questions... Therein lies my amusement.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Schadenfreude is such a terrible thing. You are a bad person.

ReputationRep:
    If you just want to be a pilot and only put that on your application then it makes them think that it is the only reason you joining, which isnt a good move imho.
    It worked for me.

At the end of the day, if you really want to be in the RAF and at the end of selection they say, "well you dont quite have the aptitude for pilot but have the aptitude for ATC", for example, I personally would consider it.
    Then you clearly don't just want to be a pilot.

...you do not have to go and get a degree before joining. I asked this question during the presentation and it is quite feasable to do a degree while serving.
    Yeah, see what Wzz wrote. The -last- thing on my mind right now is a degree.

SuperTP - Listen to the people who've been there, done it and know what it's all about.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It worked for me.
    Beware. It may have "worked for you" in that you were selected, but you're probably unlikely to find out about the internal wrangling that went in to offering you a place on IOT, or how the PAB saw your application. It may be the case that you lucked into a last slot because they questioned your commitment post-IOT if you failed flying training.

Then you clearly don't just want to be a pilot.
    Bad advice. Remember, OASC are trying to select the best people to serve as officers in the RAF. A candidate who desperately wants to be a pilot, but second to that would rather be an RAF officer in any capacity, is a lot better than someone who'll be out the door as soon as they fail a medical or get chopped from flying.

Someone who shows commitment to the service by even considering other jobs is naturally a better bet. I would never suggest that anyone puts down a job they don't want to do, because that'll never work in their favour, but if I were PAB I'd be much happier picking someone who considered ATC, logs and flt ops than someone who gave me the impression that they'd leave if they couldn't be a pilot.

It's a myth that someone with 6 branches who's perfect for pilot might be offered ATC instead because they might take it. If you put down 6 branches, and would make an excellent pilot, then they're going to offer you pilot; that worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Schadenfreude is such a terrible thing. You are a bad person.
    You love it.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Remember, OASC are trying to select the best people to serve as officers in the RAF. A candidate who desperately wants to be a pilot, but second to that would rather be an RAF officer in any capacity, is a lot better than someone who'll be out the door as soon as they fail a medical or get chopped from flying.

Someone who shows commitment to the service by even considering other jobs is naturally a better bet. I would never suggest that anyone puts down a job they don't want to do, because that'll never work in their favour, but if I were PAB I'd be much happier picking someone who considered ATC, logs and flt ops than someone who gave me the impression that they'd leave if they couldn't be a pilot.
    Just to reiterate this. Remember that the RAF invests a great deal of officer training in you before you get to professional training. If you say that you are only prepared to do one job, a very challenging job with many opportunities to fail, then they are taking an even greater risk on you. If you fail pilot training they not only lose all the costs of training so far, but if you don't want to remain in the RAF they lose an officer.

It also implies that you may be one of those 'two winged master race' types who doesn't fit in well to the team. Those that believe being a pilot is somehow the only valuable job in the RAF, because it's the only job you'd do. It implies that you haven't done your homework on other branches, specifically WSO and that you aren't that committed to the RAF per se.

It makes sense if you also have an offer from BA for pilot training, otherwise, it just makes you look superficial and a training risk.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.