Turn on thread page Beta

Applying to be a pilot in the RAF help. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Beware. It may have "worked for you" in that you were selected, but you're probably unlikely to find out about the internal wrangling that went in to offering you a place on IOT, or how the PAB saw your application. It may be the case that you lucked into a last slot because they questioned your commitment post-IOT if you failed flying training.
    What I'm trying to get at is that you are not doomed to failure if you only put one branch choice down.

Bad advice. Remember, OASC are trying to select the best people to serve as officers in the RAF. A candidate who desperately wants to be a pilot, but second to that would rather be an RAF officer in any capacity, is a lot better than someone who'll be out the door as soon as they fail a medical or get chopped from flying.
    That's not what I mean. The poster I commented on said for example he'd put ATC down or something as well. I was highlighting that this would be what he would do and therefore that in his case, being an officer in the RAF was more important to him than the job itself.

I would never suggest that anyone puts down a job they don't want to do, because that'll never work in their favour, but if I were PAB I'd be much happier picking someone who considered ATC, logs and flt ops than someone who gave me the impression that they'd leave if they couldn't be a pilot.
    This is what I was trying to get at; If it is the case that all an individual wants to be is a pilot and indeed they would leave if they couldn't be one then it's bloody well pointless to put anything else down that you don't want to do.

Essentially, what my posts were trying to get at is:

If you -only- want to be a pilot and wouldn't do anything else, then put pilot -only- on your forms. If being in the RAF is more important to you, make sure you think long and hard about whether you'd be willing to do that job for 6 or 12 years, no matter what it may bring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm_UK)
    If you -only- want to be a pilot and wouldn't do anything else, then put pilot -only- on your forms. If being in the RAF is more important to you, make sure you think long and hard about whether you'd be willing to do that job for 6 or 12 years, no matter what it may bring.
    I did this too, although I can see the argument for people advising to take an interest in, and learn about the other careers available in the RAF.

The road to being successfully accepted for an aircrew role is littered with various obstacles and challenges you need to overcome. By no means are any of the other career selection processes any easier, however the additional medical requirements for aircrew are a good example of the extra hurdle you need to overcome.

If Pilot/WSO/WSop etc.... is the only thing you would like to see yourself doing, then putting that one selection down is no problem. You will however, be encouraged to take an active interest in the other careers available to you as you may/may not be eligible for your first choice, but be completely suited to another option.

If for instance you arrive at OASC and make it to the last day, but are then told your eyesight is just not good enough, it will be in your favour to have researched other jobs that may interest you, as you may be asked if you want to continue your application with a different branch choice. What I’m trying to get at is that having no knowledge of any other career in the RAF will leave you stumped if faced with this dilemma.

I’m not 100% sure that you are given the option to put a second choice down if you fail the Aptitude section, however I have heard of some people failing medicals and still furthering their application with a different branch choice...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.