Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On BBC News, the headline was something the effect of "BNP member given 11 year sentence for making bombs and guns".

What the hell has his alligence to a legal political party got to do with him being convicted for making bombs and guns? I hardly think he was making guns for the BNP, or acting on behalf of the BNP so what the hell has his political alligence got to with with making bombs and guns?

I'm sure there are Labour Party members who commit significant crimes, yet you wouldn't know, because they'd never say "Labour party member convicted of murder", or "Labour Party member convicted of rape".

Hell, I'd be willing to bet some of the Muslims arrested in this country and convicted of terrorism related charges have been members of mainsteam political parties in the UK, but they would never tell you that, as it's not relavent.

The BNP may not have particularly nice views, but I think treating them as a terrorist organisation in the same light as Al Qaeda or a similar group is just plain wrong. Last time I checked the BNP is not, nor does it condone commiting violent acts against foreigners or other races. They are not a terrorist organisation.

I dislike the BNP as much as the next bloke, but nor am I in the business of making false accusation based on pure spite rather than fact.

I think a legally registered political party in the UK should be treated as fairly as any other legally registered political party. I think cases like this don't sum up the average BNP member any more so than terrorists don't sum up the average Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree that the media has went a bit over board with this claim and that the BNP is not a terrorist organization at present.

PS: terrorists who kill in the name of GOD are not true muslims as they go against Islamic priciples of peace. So they are not to be called so.**** them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    On BBC News, the headline was something the effect of "BNP member given 11 year sentence for making bombs and guns".

What the hell has his alligence to a legal political party got to do with him being convicted for making bombs and guns? I hardly think he was making guns for the BNP, or acting on behalf of the BNP so what the hell has his political alligence got to with with making bombs and guns?

I'm sure there are Labour Party members who commit significant crimes, yet you wouldn't know, because they'd never say "Labour party member convicted of murder", or "Labour Party member convicted of rape".

Hell, I'd be willing to bet some of the Muslims arrested in this country and convicted of terrorism related charges have been members of mainsteam political parties in the UK, but they would never tell you that, as it's not relavent.

The BNP may not have particularly nice views, but I think treating them as a terrorist organisation in the same light as Al Qaeda or a similar group is just plain wrong. Last time I checked the BNP is not, nor does it condone commiting violent acts against foreigners or other races. They are not a terrorist organisation.

I dislike the BNP as much as the next bloke, but nor am I in the business of making false accusation based on pure spite rather than fact.

I think a legally registered political party in the UK should be treated as fairly as any other legally registered political party. I think cases like this don't sum up the average BNP member any more so than terrorists don't sum up the average Muslim.
    You could say the same for when they use religion or nationality in the headline.

(Original post by ak56)

Actually, I'm pretty sure they would if they found out. For example, I read somewhere yesterday that MP's (I don't remeber from which party) niece got jailed for murdering someone... and I just thought why would they link her with the MP, it's not like he told her to do it. But this is media, so it's no surprise really :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Well, if he was making bombs to target ethnic minorities, that does have relevance to the BNPs policies which negatively affect ethnic minorities. Similarly, people belonging to environmental/animal rights organisations would have their membership mentioned if they carried out bombings on, say, companies who used animal testing.

If the implication was that the BNP was supporting his actions or were a terrorist organisation then that would be bad journalism.

(Original post by SomeStudent)
    Actually, I'm pretty sure they would if they found out. For example, I read somewhere yesterday that MP's (I don't remeber from which party) niece got jailed for murdering someone... and I just thought why would they link her with the MP, it's not like he told her to do it. But this is media, so it's no surprise really :dontknow:
    Ya, agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxy402)
    PS: terrorists who kill in the name of GOD are not true muslims as they go against Islamic priciples of peace. So they are not to be called so.**** them.
    It's a good job you mentioned this, otherwise it might not have been brought up! D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiderP1g)
    You could say the same for when they use religion or nationality in the headline.
    Except it's quite clear that, in a lot of cases, the religion or nationality is a direct influence on the person's decision to make weapons and attempt to use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxy402)
    I'd argue the opposite. Any 'moderate' Muslim is purposefully watering down their religion to make it compliant with western society, and a respectable moral code.

Whereas Islam, as it is intended, contains neither, thus leading people to kill in its name.

ReputationRep:
    Becuase it will make more people want to read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Except it's quite clear that, in a lot of cases, the religion or nationality is a direct influence on the person's decision to make weapons and attempt to use them.
    Agree with this - Especially in the case of Islamic extremism. I think it's very nessesary to point out the fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    I'd argue the opposite. Any 'moderate' Muslim is purposefully watering down their religion to make it compliant with western society, and a respectable moral code.

Whereas Islam, as it is intended, contains neither, thus leading people to kill in its name.

I am a muslim and i know it is forbidden to take life in my religion. And i rather not discuss religion with you or anyone else as iam not a scholar myself hence its not place to argue on Islam but yes Islam does have a moral code.

ReputationRep:
    I think that there's a comparison to be made with the way in which the BNP dub all of Islam as being terrorists/evil/whatever other trash they promote. Perhaps the article was picking up on that?

ReputationRep:
    There's also the fact that he was only a member of the BNP for a year, and then he quit.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.