Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was really annoyed tbh, I was all ready to smash it like all the past papers and low and behold, they change half the paper..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EasyTiger)
    I was really annoyed tbh, I was all ready to smash it like all the past papers and low and behold, they change half the paper..
    ditto.

ReputationRep:
    which exam board are you on about??? the first post completely shocked me, i don't even remember there being a qn 8
    (i did edexcel)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anastasia(*^.^*)jam)
    which exam board are you on about??? the first post completely shocked me, i don't even remember there being a qn 8
    (i did edexcel)
    this is AQA MM1B

ReputationRep:
    I had a clash with Core 3 and MM1B, maybe it's because I only had one lesson a week for Mechanics or that I'm just that stupid. But I found the paper herrendous (maybe answered enough to get a D ); on the other hand I found the Core 3 paper quite easy. Aparently everyone else in my year who took it found it hard, I didn't discuss since I had mechanics straight after :p:

ReputationRep:
    M1 was horrible

ReputationRep:
    bump* anyone got the paper? if so, PM me or email? quote for reply! thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weeman5872)
    I had a clash with Core 3 and MM1B, maybe it's because I only had one lesson a week for Mechanics or that I'm just that stupid. But I found the paper herrendous (maybe answered enough to get a D ); on the other hand I found the Core 3 paper quite easy. Aparently everyone else in my year who took it found it hard, I didn't discuss since I had mechanics straight after :p:
    I was the opposite i found core 3 really hard and the m1 quite easy.

ReputationRep:
    so if the exam was overall performed poorly, is it possible that marks are worth more UMS than usual? i really need like 88/100 UMS in this, or would this just be like 88% in the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyH)
    so if the exam was overall performed poorly, is it possible that marks are worth more UMS than usual?
    Yes, most certainly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfus3d)
    bump* anyone got the paper? if so, PM me or email? quote for reply! thanks
    why would you want to do that to yourself :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zak93)
    Yes, most certainly.
    it will never go low enough :sad:

I can't decide whether it's better or worse knowing that no amount of preparation would have made me more prepared for that exam?
    God I felt like screaming/crying by the time I got to question 8 and had missed out loads of questions already... I've worked out that I'm probably going to get a mark in the 40's. FFS. I really don't want to have to resit this ******* exam....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zak93)
    You had to calculate the times the particle was at 8ms^-1.
    Urm you had to take the modulus of V you found in the part before it and set it equal to 8.

Ie. sqrt[(60-3t)^2 + (40-2t)^2)] = 8

Then square both sides, expand the brackets and solve the quadratic in t.

_____

I think the paper was so much different to past papers agreed, but it wasn't that bad! Half the paper was SUVAT and there was loads of 'show that' questions. And I suck at mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ****, I've just realised all answers were suppose to be given to 3.s.f. I gave all mine to 2dp!

Does that mean 0 accuracy marks? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam92)
    Oh ****, I've just realised all answers were suppose to be given to 3.s.f. I gave all mine to 2dp!

Does that mean 0 accuracy marks? :/
    I'd have thought you'd get error carried forward? So lose a mark the first time you do it, then not again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I'd have thought you'd get error carried forward? So lose a mark the first time you do it, then not again?
    I sure hope so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    it will never go low enough :sad:

I can't decide whether it's better or worse knowing that no amount of preparation would have made me more prepared for that exam?
    God I felt like screaming/crying by the time I got to question 8 and had missed out loads of questions already... I've worked out that I'm probably going to get a mark in the 40's. FFS. I really don't want to have to resit this ******* exam....
    I totally feel your pain =( i feel like i wasted so much time revising all the past papers for an exam im clearly going to have to resit as i needed atleast a B grade. I am well ****** off with AQA they have sneakily changed 50% of the paper to see how we do, knowing as its a jan module we can resit. But we also have C3 & C4 to get through :/ The spec paper they provided was nothing like the exam either so we had no preparation!! People were coming out of the exam crying their eyes out because they are so worried they will not get to go to their first choice or even insurance choice uni after doing a hell of a lot lower than their targets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paula3412)
    I totally feel your pain =( i feel like i wasted so much time revising all the past papers for an exam im clearly going to have to resit as i needed atleast a B grade. I am well ****** off with AQA they have sneakily changed 50% of the paper to see how we do, knowing as its a jan module we can resit. But we also have C3 & C4 to get through :/ The spec paper they provided was nothing like the exam either so we had no preparation!! People were coming out of the exam crying their eyes out because they are so worried they will not get to go to their first choice or even insurance choice uni after doing a hell of a lot lower than their targets.
    I know it's awful... I need an A in maths... I could still do that if I get a B in this module cos last year's higher % will pull it up & if I do well in C3 and C4.
    do you have an offer with a B in maths in it?

I want to work out how badly I can do in this exam and not slip a grade... why don't you do the same :p:

I think I got 257/300 last year? there abouts anyhoo... so if I get minimum of err lets go with 80 in C3 and C4 that gives me 417/600.. which is scraping a B. Need 480/600 to get an A so have to get 63 in this exam. What grade is that? a low C? I think it's pretty shocking that I'm not confident I will get that.

So if I get below 65 I'm going to have to resit I think. FFS. I hate mechanics and really wanted it to be over now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I know it's awful... I need an A in maths... I could still do that if I get a B in this module cos last year's higher % will pull it up & if I do well in C3 and C4.
    do you have an offer with a B in maths in it?

I want to work out how badly I can do in this exam and not slip a grade... why don't you do the same :p:

I think I got 257/300 last year? there abouts anyhoo... so if I get minimum of err lets go with 80 in C3 and C4 that gives me 417/600.. which is scraping a B. Need 480/600 to get an A so have to get 63 in this exam. What grade is that? a low C? I think it's pretty shocking that I'm not confident I will get that.

So if I get below 65 I'm going to have to resit I think. FFS. I hate mechanics and really wanted it to be over now
    Well loughboro uni's offer is AAB and i decided i would get the B in maths as its the least strong of my 3 subjects. Im currently on a High B not sure of the UMS marks at present. Hmm im very unconfident about my grade i mean you need to get 40% of the paper correct just to get a grade E which works out to be 32/80, a grade D is 50% which works out to be 40/80, a grade C would be 48/80, a grade B would be 56/80 and a grade A would be 64/80. I think thats correct anyway and i am not sure what i roughly got as didnt have time or the patience to look through at all the blanks again lol! I need to have got a High C/Low B to maintain my grade so if ive got any less than 54ish, which i most likely have done. i will have to resit or aim for an A* in one of my other subjects :/ same im fed up already and it was my first exam but its really knocked my confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with most here about it being awful from Q5 onwards. Completely different to any past paper, so after doing a load of mocks and getting over 90% each time, I came out thinking what the hell.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.