Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd be in shock! Must be something about your PS I should think. Poor you.

your subject combination i guess and your gcses :/

ReputationRep:
    This happened to my mate yesterday too.
    He is sitting on AAA atm, and is predicted A* A* A in the summer. He is studying Economics, but not maths I should add.
    I, on the other hand, am sitting on ABC, am predicted A* A A and got an offer today of ABB. Very odd.

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't heard from them, I've got all the minimum requirements and then some, but needless to say im worrying like mad now.

ReputationRep:
    sheffield used to be soooo easy to get in to for economics. you could get in with BCC if you had a good personal statement, i think a lot of people may have started to put it down as an option because it's still a good university (even though its average for economics). the social life is amazing at sheffield too.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to do law there with AA(--)(extenuating circumstances) at AS; and predicted AAAA in A2 :/
    I have really average GCSE's (CCCCCCCBBB)
    I'm still waiting to hear from them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdude)
    This happened to my mate yesterday too.
    He is sitting on AAA atm, and is predicted A* A* A in the summer. He is studying Economics, but not maths I should add.
    I, on the other hand, am sitting on ABC, am predicted A* A A and got an offer today of ABB. Very odd.
    The lack of maths by your mate sounds like it was the significant factor. What did he get at GCSE btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattjames)
    I still haven't heard from them, I've got all the minimum requirements and then some, but needless to say im worrying like mad now.
    Good Luck.

What other unis have you applied to and how have you got on?
    Does your reference explain that your school is academically weak?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to be rude but I don't understand why people come on here and ask tsr why they were rejected all the time. After all there is a function whereby you can ask the university, the ones who rejected you, and get a specific and accurate reason rather than speculation from a load of people who know very little about the details of your case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceDiveFresh)
    I'm not trying to be rude but I don't understand why people come on here and ask tsr why they were rejected all the time. After all there is a function whereby you can ask the university, the ones who rejected you, and get a specific and accurate reason rather than speculation from a load of people who know very little about the details of your case.
    Unis in my expereience rarely give precise reasons for rejection.
    e.g. often the reason is something like "there were other candidates who were academically stronger" or "the PS failed to show sufficient interest in economics".

and on TSR:
    i) by comparing with other applicants can often work out what the significant factor is.
    ii) help future applicants to know how tight certain unis are when giving out offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Good Luck.

What other unis have you applied to and how have you got on?
    Does your reference explain that your school is academically weak?
    Birmingham, Bristol & Cardiff. Got an offer from Cardiff of AAB and a rejection from Bristol. Birmingham still not replied.
    My year in my school came top of the GCSE league tables in 08, will that be a help or hinderance?

ReputationRep:
    My year in my school came top of the GCSE league tables in 08, will that be a help or hinderance?
    Depends whether you did well, if you did, it's expected, if you did average-bad then it will be an indication of stupidity, laziness or confirmation that extenuating circumstances were at work!

ReputationRep:
    9A's and 3Bs (2 in DiDA). seemed just above average at school. people got better "points" due to their early AS's which boosted the school up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefgH18)
    Me too
    for economics?
    have you had offers for anywhere else?
    yhep, lancaster and manchester, you?
    just waiting for durham now but i dont expect an offer from them haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Yes.
    Commiserations.
    was it BA or BSc?

Obvious weakest point is Accounting.
    (What were your GCSE grades BTW?)
    It was BSc,

I got 5A*6A at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham, Bristol & Cardiff. Got an offer from Cardiff of AAB and a rejection from Bristol. Birmingham still not replied.
    Well good that you have one offer.
    Good Luck with Birmingham.

Sorry I thought your profile meant your GCSE grades were the best in your year. Is that not the case?

ReputationRep:
    oh no ha, best change that. I go to Lawrence Sheriff, in which my year came top of the league tables for GCSES.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone phoned Sheffield?, looks like they're going to ignore emails

ReputationRep:
    also go declined on the 14th.

Will be phoning either tomorow or thursday.
    Will post what they tell me.

Its just my luck this is. Wanted to go sheffield and get declined, not too keen on manchester and get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaknffc)
    also go declined on the 14th.

Will be phoning either tomorow or thursday.
    Will post what they tell me.

Its just my luck this is. Wanted to go sheffield and get declined, not too keen on manchester and get an offer.
    Sorry to hear about your rejection. What is your academic record like?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.