Turn on thread page Beta

Definitive Answer to a Much-Asked Question about Oxford Masters watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I would share this, as I know it got asked a lot both this year and last.

Applicants have asked whether it is OK to submit more than one application for postgraduate study at Oxford, and whether the departments are aware of the numerous applications.

The answer often given is that they will probably know within one deparment if you have submitted more than one, but not if you have submitted applications to different departments/schools/faculties.

Well, I submitted 2 applicants to the History Faculty, and 1 to the School of Interdiscipinary Area Studies. In a recent email, the History Faculty asked if I had received news on my THIRD application, so they are obviously aware it exists.

It may also be of interest that the History Faculty will not finish processing its applications until mid-next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tony_ron)
    but not if you have submitted applications to different departments/schools/faculties.
    Good post! However, how definite is the answer? I mean, what if only some departments/schools/faculties exchange information in this manner? Or if they only do so if the applicant has sent in a certain number of applications? (And whatever similar factors someone else can come up with.)

ReputationRep:
    Well, although there are links between the two faculties, I can't see them as so strong as to be different from other faculties. It appears highly probable that the faculties receiving an application just get a form which lists everything you've applied for on it. Alternatively, it could be the number at the top of the application (for mine, each had a number on the system - 1,2,3).

I appreciate it might not perhaps be definite, but I can't imagine these two departments simply have some special relationship where they and they alone exclusively share information on applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

do you think it will be to our disadvantage if you applied for both PhD and Masters in the same department?

I initially applied for Oxford's nuffield PhD studentship but when I met the supervisor (informal interview to know more about the project at hand) she admitted that the studentships were competitive and that they usually prefered MSc students. (Im currently a 3rd yr Bio undergrad at Imperial but Ive done quite a fair bit of research during all my summers)

so I decided to apply for their MSc in integrated Immunology also if I am unsuccessful in getting any direct PhD offers.... Im hoping they are not wondering why Im applying to both MSc and PhD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.