Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good afternoon everyone, this is my first post on the studentroom forums, however I've browsed these forums in the past in search of more 'in-depth' information into the Armed Forces, especially the RAF.

I'm 17 and have been wanting to join upto the RAF for some time now, I've searched the jobs on the RAF Careers website and two jobs caught my eye. WSOp and Regiment Gunner. I decided on the Regiment because I felt I was to young to apply for WSOp and wanted to get some experience in the RAF before applying. My 'plan' if you like stands today to apply to be a gunner, and then after my first term of service, apply to change for WSOp if all goes well.

Now, I have my Initial interview on Wednesday over in Brighton, and if I'm perfectly honest, I'm really not sure what to expect. I've read on other forums that I should wear a suit (I don't have one!) and others to just go smart/casual. Speaking to someone who is in the RAF the other day said to go in a smart pair of black trousers, black shoes and a smart shirt. However I'm really not sure, that's why I seek to answers from current serving service men/women and people have had interviews at AFCO's.

I'm also unsure what there going to ask me question wise. I'm sure obvious questions such as 'Why do you want to join the RAF?' and 'Why do you want to be a gunner?' will pop up, but other then that I'm lost. Will they ask me questions on RAF history or current RAF affairs?

Sorry for ALL the questions, this long post would have probably scared most people away however I have one more to ask. How does the selection/joining process to be a gunner go? I know I have to attend PGAC and health, fitness tests, but other then that I'm unsure what will happen. I'm expecting this process to expand through a few months, am I right?

Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    Youll have to buy a suit in any case for your interview, so buy one this weekend if you can. Its better to be overdressed rather than underdressed. In these days of recession, the forces can pick and choose who they want (even for infantry type roles) and first impressions make a difference. The process will take a few months. If you dont already exercise every day, then start doing so. If you dont enjoy being active, then you wont enjoy being a gunner, as its essentially an infantry role.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Go smart but don't worry about a suit. Shirt, tie, trousers & shoes, not trainers. You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ub2008)
    Youll have to buy a suit in any case for your interview, so buy one this weekend if you can. Its better to be overdressed rather than underdressed. In these days of recession, the forces can pick and choose who they want (even for infantry type roles) and first impressions make a difference. The process will take a few months. If you dont already exercise every day, then start doing so. If you dont enjoy being active, then you wont enjoy being a gunner, as its essentially an infantry role.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm very active, that's one of the reasons why I'm applying which helps. I'm going to start at the gym in the next week or so to really push my fitness.

Go smart but don't worry about a suit. Shirt, tie, trousers & shoes, not trainers. You'll be fine.
    Might have to go shopping tomorrow, I guess it's worth investing in some new smart clothes that could help decide my future career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.Anderson)
    Good afternoon everyone, this is my first post on the studentroom forums, however I've browsed these forums in the past in search of more 'in-depth' information into the Armed Forces, especially the RAF.

I'm 17 and have been wanting to join upto the RAF for some time now, I've searched the jobs on the RAF Careers website and two jobs caught my eye. WSOp and Regiment Gunner. I decided on the Regiment because I felt I was to young to apply for WSOp and wanted to get some experience in the RAF before applying. My 'plan' if you like stands today to apply to be a gunner, and then after my first term of service, apply to change for WSOp if all goes well.

Now, I have my Initial interview on Wednesday over in Brighton, and if I'm perfectly honest, I'm really not sure what to expect. I've read on other forums that I should wear a suit (I don't have one!) and others to just go smart/casual. Speaking to someone who is in the RAF the other day said to go in a smart pair of black trousers, black shoes and a smart shirt. However I'm really not sure, that's why I seek to answers from current serving service men/women and people have had interviews at AFCO's.

I'm also unsure what there going to ask me question wise. I'm sure obvious questions such as 'Why do you want to join the RAF?' and 'Why do you want to be a gunner?' will pop up, but other then that I'm lost. Will they ask me questions on RAF history or current RAF affairs?

Sorry for ALL the questions, this long post would have probably scared most people away however I have one more to ask. How does the selection/joining process to be a gunner go? I know I have to attend AGAC and health, fitness tests, but other then that I'm unsure what will happen. I'm expecting this process to expand through a few months, am I right?

Thanks for reading.
    OK, I'm going to overlook most of the questions to address what I think is the most important point: your plan to join as a gunner, then transfer later to WSOp.

It seems that WSOp is what you ultimately want, in which case - why not apply? Providing you meet the basic criteria such as age, education and nationality, you have nothing to lose by applying. You say you feel that you are too young for WSOp - if I were you I'd apply, get your filter interview out of the way, then prepare for OASC thoroughly and give it your absolute best shot, and let them be the arbiter of that. The worst that can happen is that you won't pass, in which case you can either apply as a Regiment Gunner (assuming you could genuinely see yourself as a gunner, and it isn't just a means to an end), or go and address the weaknesses highlighted in your OASC feedback, to give you a better chance of passing next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBazza)
    OK, I'm going to overlook most of the questions to address what I think is the most important point: your plan to join as a gunner, then transfer later to WSOp.

It seems that WSOp is what you ultimately want, in which case - why not apply? Providing you meet the basic criteria such as age, education and nationality, you have nothing to lose by applying. You say you feel that you are too young for WSOp - if I were you I'd apply, get your filter interview out of the way, then prepare for OASC thoroughly and give it your absolute best shot, and let them be the arbiter of that. The worst that can happen is that you won't pass, in which case you can either apply as a Regiment Gunner (assuming you could genuinely see yourself as a gunner, and it isn't just a means to an end), or go and address the weaknesses highlighted in your OASC feedback, to give you a better chance of passing next time.
    Valid question, I'll try and explain my reasons best I can. I have the grades (Just). I passed my GCSE's with C's and B's. I didn't take part in the Duke of Edinburgh awards sceme offered to me at school, so naturally I'll be second to people who completed these awards. I left my 6th Form in November knowing fully that I wanted to join the RAF as either a Gunner or WSOp. I had a full time job I fell back on as a trainee chef, I'm not really enjoying it if I'm honest I'm just there to save up some money and to get me out the house. Because of this, I want to get into the RAF ASAP. Therefore if I apply for the position of WSOp and fail OASC, that'll back-log me a few months while I re-apply, if that makes sense. I've looked around and from what I hear OASC is very competitve and hard to pass. I'm not saying that I wont pass if I was to go off to OASC, but there is a higher chance of failing and delaying my time in joining the RAF, rather then if I just applyed for a Gunner. Don't get me wrong, the training and selection to be a Gunner is also hard, but from what I've read I'll have a better chance.

Hopefully this explains your question. I'm desperate to get into the RAF and feel this is the fastest way. I'm not saying that I wont be happy to be a Gunner because I'm perfectly happy to be one if I was given the chance and would love to serve in the Regiment. And possibly after a few years of being in the regiment and still interested in being a WSOp can apply if I want.

ReputationRep:
    Couple of thoughts.

Try and dress up as smart as you can for any interview. First impressions do count. However I really would not go out and buy a suit just for this interview. They will be able to tell if you have tried your best to look smart with whatever smart clothes you have.

However do remember all interviews are important and you should always make the best impresion you can in all aspects at each stage.

I really would think again about applying for Regiment and then trying to get in WSOp later.

Fine if you really want to be an RAF Regt Gunner then go for that.

However if you want to be a WSOp then go for that. If you dont succeed then RAF Regt is still an option.

Lots of people on here talk about the challenges of moving from an airman trade to aircrew. Some people do it but it is not easy.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You are talking about something you might do for the rest of your working life - which is a long time. A few more months is nothing in the big scheme of things. Have some aspiration and aim high - you have to give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Aim high and see where the arrow falls. If youre not sucessful in your application for wsop, at least you have tried. It will only go in favour of your gunner application to say that you gave OASC a bash, it shows you have balls if nothing else. Have you thought about regiment officer? Youd need to get yourself back into education though, but its a role within the regiment that would offer a similar level of respnsibility to a wsop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ub2008)
    Agreed. Aim high and see where the arrow falls. If youre not sucessful in your application for wsop, at least you have tried. It will only go in favour of your gunner application to say that you gave OASC a bash, it shows you have balls if nothing else. Have you thought about regiment officer? Youd need to get yourself back into education though, but its a role within the regiment that would offer a similar level of respnsibility to a wsop.
    Correct, I'd need to go back into education for 2 years to gain my A-Levels which isn't an option for me. Thanks for the reply though.

Can anyone enlighten me on what sort of questions they'll ask me?

ReputationRep:
    Correct, I'd need to go back into education for 2 years to gain my A-Levels which isn't an option for me. Thanks for the reply though.
    If returning to full time education is not an option have a look at night school/evening classes. I did two A Levels in a year doing night classes in order to get myself some more qualifications

Can anyone enlighten me on what sort of questions they'll ask me?
    The questions will be fairly standard asking about your current information as you have supplied on your application form and your motivation for joining nothing too taxing. There are threads about this and OASC on the forum.

Good luck in whichever path you follow.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    You are talking about something you might do for the rest of your working life - which is a long time. A few more months is nothing in the big scheme of things. Have some aspiration and aim high - you have to give it a go.
    Seriously, do this!

An extra 8 weeks or so isn't remotely worth worrying about in the grand scheme of things. If you want to be a WSOp, you'd be better off getting another job entirely for a couple of years rather than joining the RAF in a different role; there's absolutely no guarantee at all that you'll be able to apply for another job once you're in.

This forum appears to be filling up with people who have, for no sensible reason, decided that they're not fit for one job or another. There is a selection centre there filled full of experts who'll tell you, so go and let them make up their minds! You could be at OASC pretty quickly, and if you don't have any luck, you can accelerate the procedure of joining as a gunner because you've already got a pile of paperwork and certificates seen by the AFCO.

Do not join in a job you don't want for some bone reason with a half-hearted hope that you might be able to switch jobs in a couple of years. In all likelihood you won't, and in this case a possible 8 week delay in your application versus an extra 3-4-5 years as a WSOp?

You shouldn't even need to ask.

ReputationRep:
    Hey W.Anderson.

First of all, Welcome to the TSR forum!

Secondly, take the advice in this thread. If WSOp is what you want to do, then apply for that! Put Regt. Gunner down as your second choice. You might think you won't get in as WSOp, but you never know what could happen. A friend of mine has just been given a provisional placement in IOT as pilot and he originally didn't apply for that position as he thought it was too competative. It was only because he was told he has the right requirements (age, height, grades etc.) that he applied, and now he's off to Cranwell in May!

If WSOp is what you ultimately want to do, then apply for WSOp. If you don't get in, then at least you won't have that "what if" in the back of your head if you just applied as a Gunner.

GO FOR IT!

ReputationRep:
    I'd of thought that applying to be a WSOp would be better as the RAF Regiment is currently overflowing with people and the whole process takes ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugelr)
    I'd of thought that applying to be a WSOp would be better as the RAF Regiment is currently overflowing with people and the whole process takes ages.
    That's another concern of mine.

ReputationRep:
    That's another concern of mine.
    Mate there is no point joining something you don't want to stay doing. Join as a WSOp. If you are too young or immature or whatever to do the job, you won't get in. If the RAF sees you as too young to be a WSOp you defiantly won't be a gunner as it is (supposedly) a combat job.

The RAF Regiment is picking and choosing the crop at the moment, as there is a recruitment increase. It could be anything up to 9 months or more to even start training for Rock Apes.

Go with what you want to do and stick at it. Best of luck.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by flugelr)
    as it is (supposedly) a combat job.

I don't know what axe you've got to grind with a stupid post like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    I don't know what axe you've got to grind with a stupid post like that.
    I don't know why you have such a sense of humour failure but we can't all be winners can we

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I would say that there are proportionately more people applying for wsop than there are for the RAF regiment, although the sucess rate is much lower (for wsop).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Aren't you still at school and in the TA? Or is it just TA now? It could be banter if there were any RAF Regt regularly posting on here - and if you had any understanding of what they do. There aren't. You don't.
    Given my mates that have been on the wrong end of IED's and suffered the consequences, as RAF Regt - and the guys currently out there - you should learn when to wind your neck in. Gobby sprogs who have never deployed and regurgitate what the bigger boys say are very silly indeed. This is for careers advice, not snide sniping.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.