Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Never deployed you say? Ive done one herrick already and am due for another pretty soon. How many herricks have you done ********?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Read the post and don't get so defensive - I was pointing that at Flugelr.
    Calm down princess. Some of us were there before you left school.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies. I had to listen to a bunch of drunks having a fight/****ging match outside my window last night so am a tad grumpy this morning. Ha.
    Anyway, back to the thread topic! I dont quite understand why the thread starter seems to think that applying as a wsop will get him into the RAF more quickly than applying as a gunner, with the current wait times for OASC being three to six months (from looking at the OASC thread), even with PGAC factored in itd probably take around the same time to get accpeted/get a start date. He should consider night school, it never does any harm to get a couple of A levels as it opens up doors like getting yourself to a decent uni after leaving the RAF and, more importantly, he could try for RAF regt officer. I understand from a friend who is a rock ape (met him on op herrick whilst passing through KAF) that the regt is in dire need of more officers. If the thread starter wants a role with responsibility in the RAF and is interested in the gunners, he should definitely give regt officer a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ub2008)
    the regt is in dire need of more officers.
    Glad to hear this as this is what I'll be applying for in late April/early May

If anyone does know any Regt Officers what would be willing to have a conversation with me about the trade (via email for their convenience and mine) it would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    At least if you join the RAF Regt you get to do your business in a flushing toilet back in Bastion along with a selection of fine fresh foods and welfare facilities. Common sense says join them.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by NFI)
    At least if you join the RAF Regt you get to do your business in a flushing toilet back in Bastion along with a selection of fine fresh foods and welfare facilities. Common sense says join them.
    You appear to be a little out of date with the RAF Regt op profile.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for all the advise and replies. I have my AFCO appointment on Wednesday so hopefully they'll be able to advise me on what's best to do.

I'm torn between applying to be a Gunner or WSOp. Here's a question, is it possible to apply for BOTH trades and go through selection for both, at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    You appear to be a little out of date with the RAF Regt op profile.
    Am I not correct in saying that the RAF Regt are based in the larger camps like KAF and BSN then?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yes - but they are now spending far longer out on patrol rather than the out and back of old. Days and days longer.
    Also - the new ablutions units are on trial out there at the moment - so nearly everyone will have a decent trap to relax in no matter how small their base.

I know too much about some odd things - I really do.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you still at school and in the TA? Or is it just TA now? It could be banter if there were any RAF Regt regularly posting on here - and if you had any understanding of what they do. There aren't. You don't.
    Yup, still a student. Glad you don't know anything about my understanding of the RAF Regt. I suppose training exercises with them and the fact my OH's dad is in the Regt's No. 3 Sqn means nothing then?

Given my mates that have been on the wrong end of IED's and suffered the consequences, as RAF Regt - and the guys currently out there - you should learn when to wind your neck in. Gobby sprogs who have never deployed and regurgitate what the bigger boys say are very silly indeed. This is for careers advice, not snide sniping.
    Most people serving have mates who have been on the wrong end of a bullet/IED/IDF etc myself included. Don't think I'm just some nig posting hearsay.

On the other hand, I apologise for the banter/sniping if it caused offence and will curtail it in future, particularly on career threads.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - but they are now spending far longer out on patrol rather than the out and back of old. Days and days longer.
    Also - the new ablutions units are on trial out there at the moment - so nearly everyone will have a decent trap to relax in no matter how small their base.

I know too much about some odd things - I really do.
    But they still have hot running water, flushing toilets and decent scoff after they've been out for a few days

When are these ablutions getting rolled out? The sooner I don't have to use a wag bag on a daily basis the better!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by flugelr)
    Yup, still a student. Glad you don't know anything about my understanding of the RAF Regt. I suppose training exercises with them and the fact my OH's dad is in the Regt's No. 3 Sqn means nothing then?
    Given he probably doesn't post on here, save your banter for when you are round his house. Gobbing off about how non-operational units are when they are on ops and you are a student is not big or clever.

ReputationRep:
    Given he probably doesn't post on here, save your banter for when you are round his house. Gobbing off about how non-operational units are when they are on ops and you are a student is not big or clever.
    As I said in my previous post, I'll tone it down and cut it out of career posts

ReputationRep:
    The RAF regt do go out on patrols for a few days at a time. However, as there are probably many lurkers around here, its worth saying that if one is interested in the offensive side of infantry work,then the infantry or RM is what they should be looking at joining, not the RAF regt. RAF regt essentially secure the areas immediately outside bases such as KAF and bastion and aim to reduce the threat of insurgents and IEDs in these areas. They also do quite a lot of forward air controlling. Not to demean the RAF regt in any way, but their job is very different to that of infantry units and, indeed, the FSTs of the royal artillery.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to apply for 2 trades at the same time? And undergo selection for both?

ReputationRep:
    Wsop is NCA, rock ape is airman entry so no. You can put two choices of job down as long as they are within the same selection stream, e.g. if you are applying for officer then you can put down 2 officer positions, or if applying for airman two airman positions. NCA is different from both of these, but SOME people put down NCA as one of their choices at OASC if their others are officer ones. You would have to be prerpared to answer questions on why you mixed both commisioned and non-comissioned positions on your wish list, but it is not uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from my initial interview at my local ACFO and to be honest, I'm slightly disappointed. I turned up nice and smart in a suit, and had some useful documents with my incase they needed to check them over. I was offered a seat in a small interview room, the guy that I had seemed more interested on what was going on outside then in me. He basically told me everything I already knew about the training and selection for WSOp and Gunner. Little bit of a let down as I was hoping to have some more in depth information given to me. Nevermind though, I was given my official applications forms so I'm going to fill them out and my ACFO are going to put me on a presentation all about Non-commissioned aircrew. Hopefully I can find out some more in-depth information and see if it's really for me. If not, I always have the choose to apply as a Gunner if that trade is open.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    What you mean is you went to your first visit, not your first interview; there was no need to dress up or bring anything at this stage! He may have told you "everything you already knew," but there's no way he could know what you knew, so was just telling you what he'd tell everyone who expresses an interest.

If you want to know more in-depth stuff, you should have asked some questions; or ask them here.

ReputationRep:
    It always looks good to dress smartly, your appearance is always noted, particularly in AFCOs.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Not one of the recommends I read from AFCOs at OASC mentioned what the candidate was wearing when they first walked in the door to pick up some information and have an informal chat about the branches or trades they were interested in.

At a P2 presentation, maybe, and a filter interview, yes, but if I read a recommend which criticised someone for dressing casually when they'd just walked in off the street, then it'd tell me a lot more about that AFCO's OC than it would about the candidate!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.