Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crosh119)
    I got pretty much the same answers as all of you lot.
    One thing bothering me since the exam was that in the population questions

me intercept was slightly smaller at = log1.8 ( so 63.1)
    and my gradient was = 0.0118 so 0.012 ish
    therefore my population of Africa at 2050 was slightly smaller at around 1024 Million.
    Your answers can really vary dependant on what your intercept and what your gradient was/

Do you think i will still get the marks? because iknow in the mark schemes it usally gives you quite a big leeway with these log graph questions as peoples answers vary
    I think you must have done something wrong with the plotting or calculating. The intercept I got was 1.9 and made the a ~100 and the gradient was basically what you got. So theres no way you were that far off with a similar graph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by microfatcat)
    Totally agree. Last year's sequences stuff I could NOT do in the exam (but when revising found it fine!)

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed calculators in the exam that can do integration.
    I hate to burst your bubble but the FX991ES can differentiate and integrate for you and most graphic calculators have this ability too. however, you are not allowed a calculator which has a CAS (computer algebra system) which can do calculus symbollically (like you put in 2x^2 +3x^2 and it will differentiate it into 4x+6x and give you that as an answer. I highly recommend this calculator or, if you want a better one which will help A LOT in C3 the Casio FX9860G (slim or not) will do everything you want it to do.

I got pretty much the same answers as all of you lot.
    One thing bothering me since the exam was that in the population questions

me intercept was slightly smaller at = log1.8 ( so 63.1)
    and my gradient was = 0.0118 so 0.012 ish
    therefore my population of Africa at 2050 was slightly smaller at around 1024 Million.
    Your answers can really vary dependant on what your intercept and what your gradient was/

Do you think i will still get the marks? because iknow in the mark schemes it usally gives you quite a big leeway with these log graph questions as peoples answers vary

I got my gradient as 0.0115 which seems pretty damn close to yours haha. My intercept was 2.0 so it was ~100. Can the fella who said hes got the paper he can please get the ball rolling by uploading it?

ReputationRep:
    Here's the paper!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snake91)
    I got my gradient as 0.0115 which seems pretty damn close to yours haha. My intercept was 2.0 so it was ~100. Can the fella who said hes got the paper he can please get the ball rolling by uploading it?
    i got the same intercept aswell....but the answer that i got for iv i think definitely wrong...got something like 104

what was your equation for part 3

ReputationRep:
    mine was P= 100 x 10^0.11....t. My gradient was definitely 0.11 something. Also, im pretty sure they will have a big range on this question as for example intercept of 2 and 1.9 or 1.8 will produce a big difference in final answer.

ReputationRep:
    what were your answers to the trapezium rule question and lower bound one. Also did you integrate that long decimal question with limits of 12 and 0?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dev360)
    what were your answers to the trapezium rule question and lower bound one. Also did you integrate that long decimal question with limits of 12 and 0?
    around 40-50 for most people

ReputationRep:
    ye but a lot of people seemed to have used 9 rectangles to work out the lower bound which is why their answer is in the 50s. Can you remember what you put for Q11 (iii)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snake91/)

I got exactly the same gradient and intercept and equation.
    HIGH FIVE!
    Hey you could be my "line of best fit" twin!

ReputationRep:
    nice one! are you doing c3 on wednesday? someone needs to get their teacher to do the paper and upload answers =]

ReputationRep:
    I'll do the answers for all except Q12 later.

ReputationRep:
    1) \frac{x^2}{2} + 3x^{-1} + C
    2) i) 5
    ii) 165
    3) \frac{\sqrt{14}}{7}
    4) 6.5cm
    5) i) Q(0,4) P (-0.5,2) R(2,2)
    ii) Q(0,4) P (-4,2) R (16,2)
    6) i) 205
    ii) 25/3
    7) i) 40.9 degrees
    ii) 10.4 cm
    8) 4y = 3x + 80
    9) i) sketch
    ii) x = 0.55
    10) i) dy/dx = 3x^2 -6x - 9
    so stationary at x = 3, x = -1
    min at x = 3, max at x = -1
    ii) x = 0, x = \frac{3 \pm 3\sqrt{5}}{2}
    iii) min at (3,-27) max at (-1,5) intersect axes at points found earlier
    11) i ) 47.625
    ii) 43.05
    iii) 47.664
    iv) y(7.5) = 5.300625 so fairly close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinesquared.)
    I got exactly the same gradient and intercept and equation.
    HIGH FIVE!
    Hey you could be my "line of best fit" twin!

haha im glad im not the only one

doing c3 on wednesday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snake91)
    haha im glad im not the only one

doing c3 on wednesday?
    Indeeeed...im so tired i can concentrate ive had so exams

ReputationRep:
    how do you do question 8, im doing it as practice for my C2 in may and don't know how to differentiate sqrt's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickiC)
    how do you do question 8, im doing it as practice for my C2 in may and don't know how to differentiate sqrt's
    6x^0.5

that help?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 9, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.