Turn on thread page Beta

How Do You Approach Shy Guys? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Rouge*)
    this is exactly what i wanna know...i'm very chatty so i don't wanna intimidate him..!

haha!!! me too!

i haven't seen your picture OP so i'm not making a comment on your appearance here.

just to say, just because he's shy, it doesn't mean that he'll just take anyone who approaches him...chances are he still has standards.

it's not like good looking shy men are there so that ugly girls can get someone attractive. if he's good looking, the fact that he's shy doesn't automatically put him in the same league as ugly girls, or automatically make him willing to settle for ugly girls. there will still be good looking girls who want him.

ReputationRep:
    If he is anything like me, he probably like you as well but is to self concious and fearful of rejection to do anything about it. Just say "hey" and don't be put off by his shyness, just chat as normal and he should go with the flow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Make sure your alone it would make him feel more comfortable i guess. I'm quite shy but I would much rather be approached when im on my own! :yes:

Emperically speaking, likely the most successful approach would be to grab one's penis and say "i want this".

ReputationRep:
    Don't- rationalise (which is hard to do for a girl) why you want to approach him
    If he's shy, I can only assume there's not much of his personality you know to be interested and your interest is looks driven. You face the chance of conversation being awkward.
    Go for a more confident bloke, with reasonable concessions to looks (if you want)- I'm sure you'll be happier.
    That's my input

(Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    Don't- rationalise (which is hard to do for a girl) why you want to approach him
    If he's shy, I can only assume there's not much of his personality you know to be interested and your interest is looks driven. You face the chance of conversation being awkward.
    Go for a more confident bloke, with reasonable concessions to looks (if you want)- I'm sure you'll be happier.
    That's my input
    that'd be my input too, as a shy/introverted person.
    i'm generally not interested, and i don't like it when girls show too much interest, especially if they're not very attractive, but somehow think that because i'm quiet, i'll be willing to go out with them, perhaps even going as far to think that they're actually doing me a favour.
    i'd usually rather they left me alone. and if i really wanted someone, but wasn't willing to initiate anything with her, then i'd be unlikely to respond if she tried to initiate anything with me.

ReputationRep:
    sly tug on the winkle

(Original post by Anonymous)
    that'd be my input too, as a shy/introverted person.
    i'm generally not interested, and i don't like it when girls show too much interest, especially if they're not very attractive, but somehow think that because i'm quiet, i'll be willing to go out with them, perhaps even going as far to think that they're actually doing me a favour.
    i'd usually rather they left me alone. and if i really wanted someone, but wasn't willing to initiate anything with her, then i'd be unlikely to respond if she tried to initiate anything with me.
    i also agree about the "unmatching personality" thing. you might have unreasonable, specific expectations of this shy person, and chances are you'll be let down, and he'll feel crap because he didn't meet what you wanted and basically was a disappointment to you. shy people can have a wide range of personalities. don't assume he's some perfect match for you.

also on the looks thing, i agree. i can only assume that the girl is after me purely for my appearance. this makes me uncomfortable. i hate it when loud, obnoxious, ugly girls try it on with me. as if they think my shyness means they can use me to get an attractive looking shag that they couldn't normally get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asha5692)
    Thats alot of smiley faces:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Thats alot of smiley faces:rolleyes:
    Yes well... you made me smile!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asha5692)
    Yes well... you made me smile!!
    I'm glad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tenement_funster)
    aww thanks i will try that!!! will it be weird cos we're going as a group? x
    Course it wont !
    If you want.. you two could go off on your own and then meet your friends later on or something. yaay!

I feel I'm more qualified than most to answer this, since I am one of those "shy guys" you're talking about.

1. Approach when they're alone - it eases the pressure on both of you. Dealing with women is easiest for us when it's just one on one, because it saves us any potential embarrassment if a group is present.

2. Don't be too forward, or you'll freak them out. Some of them (I) tend to be paranoid and may think you're trying to play mind games. Just keep the conversation light, and don't be overly flirtatious.

3. Try not to make them commit to anything on the first encounter. That means don't ask for a date or contact details. They need time to figure out whether they actually like you, so just focus on getting to know them.

4. Since they're shy, chances are they won't like partying and drinking, so don't ask about that. Try to find out what they're into, and talk about that.

5. Give them a chance to speak. Women who talk too much and don't listen are a turn-off.

6. Try to be interesting, or they may just tune out. A lot of these "shy guys" have very active minds, so you’ll need to be at least as interesting as what's going on inside their heads, otherwise the conversation will be bland.

Of course, this is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. Guys will be flattered whenever a woman approaches them, so they'll be off-guard and you'll have the upper hand. It shouldn't be too difficult.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.