Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ah ill definitely loose a few marks then... hopefully only a few
    2 for first part of 9 - and say 3 for the last bit of 7 with another 2 for error carried forward?

ReputationRep:
    7 partt 2 varience = 67 - mewsquared =67-64= 3

also iv its the probability of P(x>or equal to 2)= 1-P(x< or equal to 1)

= 1-[e^-3m multiplied by (1+3m)]
    and then u plug the 1.29 and 1.3 to get 0.898 and 0.901 so 0.9 must lie between the two...

ReputationRep:
    yeh... i did that - sorry if i didnt explain it very well... by no means those answers are right - just what i put

ReputationRep:
    It's a good place to start, though.

ReputationRep:
    Also the question about comment on the claim... I think it would be valid to say u do not have enough evidence to reject the claim since u rejected hnaught but that doesnt make the claim correct either... there was a similar qu. in june 06 or jan/june 07 i think

ReputationRep:
    What was the reason that the last part of the final question was an approximation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallant92)
    I accepted H0 for 4 time wasn't underestimated

I rejected H0 for 5, mean number of customers had increased.

q 7 I put central limit theorem
    err can't remember all the figures but none that i'm sure are different except 5.

7 ii var was 3 because you have to minus mean^2 (64)

?
    for question 4 time was underestimated... n i think u have to justify central limit theorem for qu7 by saying n was more than 30 and it was not normal distribution...

ReputationRep:
    oh for the comment i wrote there wasnt really enough evidence - 1 mark and such an ambiguous question

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Mr. M may pop along and sort out any confusion? 0: ) I may pm him, It doesn't half seem a bit cheeky though.

ReputationRep:
    eeek how'd everyone do q 8 iii??
    i did 1/2[ P(type 2 | p = 0.4) + P(type 2 | p = 0.7)] and got something like 0.633.... i did get 0.3669 initially but then crossed it out in the last minute
    nothing makes any sense ahhh.....

ReputationRep:
    6) last part i got 19.1 as my standard deviation...what did every1 else get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korobeiniki)
    Hopefully Mr. M may pop along and sort out any confusion? 0: ) I may pm him, It doesn't half seem a bit cheeky though.
    I'm pretty sure Mr M hates stats, so don't get your hopes up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhyMath)
    Oh fair enough, have to wait 'til monday and get a teacher to go through then.

(Original post by musicluva)
    eeek how'd everyone do q 8 iii??
    i did 1/2[ P(type 2 | p = 0.4) + P(type 2 | p = 0.7)] and got something like 0.633.... i did get 0.3669 initially but then crossed it out in the last minute
    nothing makes any sense ahhh.....
    I got 0.183 for this as P (Type II | p=0.7) = 0, i think, as 0.7 is what is being tested, and P(Type II | p=0.4) was found to be 0.3669 in 8ii
    so 0.5(0 + 0.3669) = 0.183 (3sf)
    anyone care to step in on that, I had a feeling it may be wrong when I first wrote it.

(Original post by examhunter)
    6) last part i got 19.1 as my standard deviation...what did every1 else get?
    Yeah I got that. Was a bit worried as my probability value for the standardised "z" value came to 0.6999 instead of 0.7
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PhyMath)
    :p:

All true.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have taught this to my further maths lot this term so i did a solution sheet for them. feel free to have a look.

Mr Ward
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ward309)
    Hi

I have taught this to my further maths lot this term so i did a solution sheet for them. feel free to have a look.

Mr Ward
    You've made a small error on the unbiased estimator for the variance in the first question, you seem to have used the wrong value for sigma x^2, using 1154.88 rather than 1154.58.

Thanks a lot though, really helpful, the rest of the answers tally up with everything I got, so if my written answers are substantial I might be on for a decent score. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    You've made a small error on the unbiased estimator for the variance in the first question, you seem to have used the wrong value for sigma x^2, using 1154.88 rather than 1154.58.

Thanks a lot though, really helpful, the rest of the answers tally up with everything I got, so if my written answers are substantial I might be on for a decent score. :woo:
    Agreed, apart from the little mistake with the variance I got almost identical answers. I made a couple of ridiculous mistakes like not doing 1 minus the probability though so I threw away a couple of marks.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't looked at these yet but I made the ridiculous mistake in the exam of writing P(X>7) = P(X>=6). Despite my meticulous checking that somehow escaped me. B******. Only 2 marks I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ward309)
    Hi

Mr Ward
    Very useful - thanks

ReputationRep:
    the formula for variance of a crv is integral of x^2f(x)dx - mu^2 which is 67-64=3

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.