Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

London February 2010 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In February Ill spend two weeks in London so I would like to see answers to some o my questions:

1. Stansted Airport, how do i get to london in a CHEAP way??

2. How much does a 2 week subway pass cost?

3. My hostel is near hyde park, is it a good area??

4. Cheap places (other than the supermarket) to eat

5. Where can I find a good Blues Bar in London?

6 ANy other suggestion....

I have a friend that told me allot already, still more information is always better .

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    a monthly tube ticket is about 40 quid, personally id get a oystercard and just top it up and that.

use the train service into london from stansted.

hydepark is sortof on the outskirts a bit, but thats a good thing.

well there isnt much diffrence to the rest of england for places to eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniellebrace)
    a monthly tube ticket is about 40 quid, personally id get a oystercard and just top it up and that.

use the train service into london from stansted.

hydepark is sortof on the outskirts a bit, but thats a good thing.

well there isnt much diffrence to the rest of england for places to eat.
    Are you actually stupid? Hyde Park is smack bang in central london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad m05)
    Are you actually stupid? Hyde Park is smack bang in central london
    i didnt say it was i said it was SORT OF & A BIT, the reason for:
    its not near traff, the eye, nor oxford street, and thats why most people come to london.

i know geograpichly it isnt on the outskirts but to the sights it is.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so is it a good area or not???

And the other questions please

ReputationRep:
    yeah its a posher area, and not too many thugs and that around.

ReputationRep:
    With regard to Question 1:

The cheap (not necessarily the quickest) way from Stansted Airport to London is the TerraVision Coach costing £9 one-way, or £14 for the return ticket.

This will take you to either Liverpool Street Station or Victoria Coach Station - both are within easy reach of London Underground stations to get you to Hyde Park and your hostel.

Hyde Park is in a lovely park of town - you won't have any problem there.

Cheap places to eat - Pret a Manger, Eat, etc lots of little deli/sandwich bars, erm, Mother Mash is good for a cheap bite.

In terms of a Blues Bar, apparently a place in Soho called Ain't Nothing But or Charlotte St Blues near Googe Street are the more genuine places in London.

ReputationRep:
    WTF? How much more central do you want to get than Hyde Park?
    Yes OP Hyde Park is a perfect location to be near.
    Go on www.tfl.co.uk for oyster/subway prices
    and if you go on www.viewlondon.co.uk you can do a search for blues bars/places of interest/eating

ReputationRep:
    Stuff blues (not like me to say that, but bear with me here), if you're in London you NEED to go to Ronnie Scott's at some point.

China Town is good for a central but cheap place to eat, and so is Borough Market if you catch it at the right time, but that's slightly out of your way in terms of sight-seeing.

An Oyster card may be a little confusing - I've had to catch myself several times when I almost haven't tapped in and out properly. It's just something to watch out for if you're not used to using something like the underground.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all.

Just one more question: what about cinema??

Where can i see classic movies both america and european??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKI)
    In February Ill spend two weeks in London so I would like to see answers to some o my questions:

1. Stansted Airport, how do i get to london in a CHEAP way??
    Get an easyjet shuttle bus, or any shuttle bus actually, easy to pick up from airport and much cheaper (but slower) than the tube.
    2. How much does a 2 week subway pass cost?
    Depends on which zones, but zone 1 and 2 for ONE week is £18 and includes buses
    3. My hostel is near hyde park, is it a good area??
    Where near Hyde Park? Hyde Park is massive; from Hyde Park Corner (next to Park Lane/Oxford Strt) to Bayswater, to Kensington... whatevs, it doesn't go anywhere bad so I'll hazard it's a good location. It'll be very central anyway.
    4. Cheap places (other than the supermarket) to eat
    Nandos? Wetherspoons have cheapppp food; I don't quite know what you mean here. To eat out or buy food?

5. Where can I find a good Blues Bar in London?
    Dunno

6 ANy other suggestion....
    What do you like?

I have a friend that told me allot already, still more information is always better .

Thank you
    ^^^

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all.

What i like?? Well Cinema , football (i would love to see a premier league game), literature, etc

not much you can take from there.

I willl do some of the tourist stuff (spots) and then just walk around getting to know the city

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKI)
    Thanks to all.

Just one more question: what about cinema??

Where can i see classic movies both america and european??
    Try. http://www.princecharlescinema.com/

Tis cheap.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt say it was i said it was SORT OF & A BIT, the reason for:
    its not near traff, the eye, nor oxford street, and thats why most people come to london.

i know geograpichly it isnt on the outskirts but to the sights it is.
    I have a flat in Lancaster Gate, basically right on Bayswater Road and it takes 10 minutes to walk to Oxford Street, 7 minutes to walk to Marble Arch, 15 minutes to walk to Harrods..
    I'd say that's pretty central really.

ReputationRep:
    thanks agian.

Im going alone and staying there for 13 days so : how is and where is the london night life??

ReputationRep:
    nor oxford street
    Speakers Corner is right next to Primark :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killerjane)
    I have a flat in Lancaster Gate, basically right on Bayswater Road and it takes 10 minutes to walk to Oxford Street, 7 minutes to walk to Marble Arch, 15 minutes to walk to Harrods..
    I'd say that's pretty central really.
    well london isnt exactly massive.....
    but yeah i was trying to explain that your not gonna have all the drunk piss heads on your doorstep, like you do at night down by charring cross, totty coart road. (btw i would know cause a year ago i was the drunk teenager hanging around there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Speakers Corner is right next to Primark :fyi:
    yeah and what does that matter? primark isnt just for pikeys, i know well off people that shop there.....

or is that not the point your trying to make?

ReputationRep:
    yeah and what does that matter? primark isnt just for pikeys, i know well off people that shop there.....

or is that not the point your trying to make?
    You said Hyde Park is not near Oxford Street. Oxford Street adjoins it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah near marble arch (its hyde park just behind the roundabout) i do know... i wouldnt talk about **** i dont know. but hyde park is a big arse park and the hostle is probally the other side, so its like a 10 minute walk, which in london is long.

btw wtv i cba with this i just gave my opinion, you give yours, dont start litlle stupid ******* arguements, people like get make me hate being english.

the adult thing to say is that hyde park adjoins oxford street, depends what part your staying on.

btw im not replying to this ****, i got better things to do, like actually help people, maybe get a life and stop searching tsr to be a *****.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.