Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    52, offer.

ReputationRep:
    How did you all find out your results? I haven't heard anything about mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The English Kiwi)
    42 and rejection pre interview, 43 was the band cut off. Did anyone get a score less than 43 and get an interview?
    A fair bunch of people do. I got 38 last year and had an interview, and someone who's posted earlier on the thread scored 33 and had an interview last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zulaimersmith)
    How did you all find out your results? I haven't heard anything about mine
    After you sat your ELAT you should have received a blue slip with your PIN on it. You then have to register with the ELAT website and get your results online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rocks_and_mountains)
    48 and offer. (Last year I got 44 and rejection) Does anyone know if there's a graph available again like last year showing the spread of results? And what were the bands?
    On the webpage that shows your results there are two links on the left. They will show you the graph and the bands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The English Kiwi)
    42 and rejection pre interview, 43 was the band cut off. Did anyone get a score less than 43 and get an interview?
    Yes, I did. I suppose I got interview because I'd sat my highers - which are more difficult than GCSEs though easier than A-levels - already and got 5 As, though my personal statement and the essay I sent in may have had something to do with the fact that I got to interview stage too.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone who read my post on the ELAT last year before you sat the test please, in light of having now gone through the whole process, PM me if they have any ideas, either for additions to it or anything they think wasn't needed? Was it useful? Whether you read it or not, how did you prepare for the test? Did it help? How would you prepare if you did it again? I intend on adding it to the Wiki or at least getting it into a sticky thread (by bullying hobnob, perhaps), but a) I'd like to know if it actually helped anyone yet and b) my knowledge of the test is now a few years out of date.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MSB)
    Can anyone who read my post on the ELAT last year before you sat the test please, in light of having now gone through the whole process, PM me if they have any ideas, either for additions to it or anything they think wasn't needed? Was it useful? Whether you read it or not, how did you prepare for the test? Did it help? How would you prepare if you did it again? I intend on adding it to the Wiki or at least getting it into a sticky thread (by bullying hobnob, perhaps), but a) I'd like to know if it actually helped anyone yet and b) my knowledge of the test is now a few years out of date.
    Having it on the wiki as well would be good, I think, but if you don't have the time to do it, you can just have another sticky thread in the English forum. You'll have to re-post the information, though, because presumably you'll want proper credit for your work, and I don't think there's a way for me to copy individual posts from existing threads to other forums.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    41 and a pre-interview rejection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    The only thing I'd say is not to get bogged down reading stuff about practical criticism and worrying about that. Just go do your thang etc.
    Reading prac crit stuff is fun though. But not to worry about and think "Oh my god im not as good as eagleton et al".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Having it on the wiki as well would be good, I think, but if you don't have the time to do it, you can just have another sticky thread in the English forum. You'll have to re-post the information, though, because presumably you'll want proper credit for your work, and I don't think there's a way for me to copy individual posts from existing threads to other forums.
    I'll put it in a thread first, then see about adding it as an article. I would like to hear a few more people's thoughts, though, before I do anything.

Thank you to those who've PMed me already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fever skin)
    On the webpage that shows your results there are two links on the left. They will show you the graph and the bands.
    Thank you. My school sent me my result in the post so I haven't actually logged into the website yet, will do now.

(Original post by MSB)
    I found it really helpful. I'm going to have a look back at what I did to prepare and then I'll PM you.

ReputationRep:
    47, offer. I did no prep! The sample paper terrified me! I went in with no idea about practical criticism or anything- just basic A level (lang-lit) knowledge and having read widely

ReputationRep:
    51 offer, my college said they didn't see it as a huge factor though. Think it just varies! ELAT, in hindsight, was pretty fun you really can't prep for it soo just go ahead and enjoy it the best that you can (as exams go)

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i think colleges vary in how much they use it as a factor. i think it might be starting to be relied on a bit more now it's been around for a couple of admissions cycles though, and now that my year (the first year to all take it) has got some oxford exam results to compare it to. according to one tutor, it's quite a good indicator for mods (first year exams) results.

ETA: just need to stress this - don't worry about this correlation if you have an offer!! clearly the tutors thought that you were worth taking and have every chance of doing well. the ELAT is one exam. worrying about mods before you've even started is ridiculous and will just make you needlessly stressed.

ReputationRep:
    44 and offer. why am i strangely proud to be the lowest-scoring successful applicant so far?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ITISCLARISSAHESAID)
    44 and offer. why am i strangely proud to be the lowest-scoring successful applicant so far?
    Actually you're not (unless I misread this post).

ReputationRep:
    damn. cruelly denied my moment of glory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigrrmilk)
    yeah, i think colleges vary in how much they use it as a factor. i think it might be starting to be relied on a bit more now it's been around for a couple of admissions cycles though, and now that my year (the first year to all take it) has got some oxford exam results to compare it to. according to one tutor, it's quite a good indicator for mods (first year exams) results.
    I hope not.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I win then.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.