Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AisAis)
    I hope not.
    well i did badly on the elat, and i did quite well in mods. so there are exceptions and that. i think it's just a kind of general trend.

ReputationRep:
    44 and an offer though there's a guy on one of the freshers facebook groups who got 41 and an offer.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: @ the fact Wadham bothered interviewing me last year with a 33.

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody get like 50+ and a rejection post interview? (Assuming they got the interview) Just wanted to look at it the other way around!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josilaphina)
    Did anybody get like 50+ and a rejection post interview? (Assuming they got the interview) Just wanted to look at it the other way around!
    :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    I love your bike by the way! Which college did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josilaphina)
    I love your bike by the way! Which college did you apply for?
    thanks
    lmh.

ReputationRep:
    48, rejectionnnnnnnn

ReputationRep:
    39 and post-interview rejection. I can't help but feel I could have done better if I compared two passages instead of three and focused more on constructing a coherent essay instead of rambling on about certain comparisons and contrasts. Ultimate lesson: you can prepare for anything. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I also wonder if that's what kept me out . . . .

ReputationRep:
    Eliastor, what were your grades?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by The English Kiwi)
    Eliastor, what were your grades?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=363

ReputationRep:
    I got 52, and a rejection without an interview.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by -Prufrock-)
    I got 52, and a rejection without an interview.
    :eek: What were your grades?

ReputationRep:
    My academic profile is admittedly strong, so that's probably what got me an interview regardless of my 39. I was sick and poorly-rested on the day of the ELAT, but they didn't know that, and I won't use it as an excuse. I do, however, go to a remarkably unremarkable school, and I'm mostly self-taught in literary analysis--so yes, although it's not possible to study for the ELAT, it's impossible to deny that you have an advantage if you're well-educated and more importantly well-practiced in that sort of thing. I'm not trying to excuse myself, merely presenting as much information as I can.

According to my college I was right below the cutoff to get a place. Better luck next year, I hope.

ReputationRep:
    On the bright side they seem to rate your IB grades higher than my A levels, so at least you got an interview. I suppose your amazing reference would've helped too

ReputationRep:
    Being in a bad way for exams sucks, unless it's english then it's a bit easier to still do something even if it's less focused and has a million grammatical errors..probably like mine lol. My brother was admitted to intensive care prior to my ELAT sooo they said only do it if you can, but it's fine if not..I did it anyway but they said consideration doesn't actually adjust the mark. Your tutors just become aware that you may get a shocking mark haa.
    I think everything varies with Oxford, grades, elat, interview..ultimately I think they want someone who is enthusiastic, passionate and they are comfortable working with for 3 years idkkkk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostHorizons)
    :eek: What were your grades?
    I got AAAC, but the C is in Theatre Studies and under appeal at the moment anyway. I got 95% in my English exam. I also have an AEA in English a year early, so I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, GCSEs?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by -Prufrock-)
    I got AAAC, but the C is in Theatre Studies and under appeal at the moment anyway. I got 95% in my English exam. I also have an AEA in English a year early, so I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong.
    Hm, very strange I feel glad that I at least know why I got rejected - my ELAT was a low-ish score, my written work was appalling and I got a B in my AS Lit exam. Seems strange when they don't interview very impressive sounding applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostHorizons)
    Hm, very strange I feel glad that I at least know why I got rejected - my ELAT was a low-ish score, my written work was appalling and I got a B in my AS Lit exam. Seems strange when they don't interview very impressive sounding applicants.
    I think the case this year was that there were like thousands of applicants for a hundred or so places, higher than other years. My teacher got a letter about it as no one at our school (minus one) got an interview from oxford, and I think it might be to do with numbers at least partly.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.