Turn on thread page Beta

I applied for an "urgent" part time chambermaid/housekeeper position and... watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is a bit of a rant.

I saw this add on a B&B and I applied for the position. I handed the owner my CV and it went fine, we had a long chat and he "sort of" offered me not the chambermaid job but to train me for a managerial position (as in, doing everything around from helping cook breakfast to bookings to telephone to working on the desk dealing with customers, etc).

BUT :rolleyes:

1) He said "Call me back in a months time as I'm travelling abroad and won't be back until February". WTF, I thought they needed help urgently?

2) I asked a couple of time about money but he didn't give me a number. He said he pays chambermaids per room and that we could work out an amount later when he's back.

3) He also said that there isn't a fixed schedule, that I would work roughly from 8 to 2 or so, and that I would need to be "on call" for the rest of the day :confused: even though I told him I only want a part time job, and I don't want to be tied up to that place every time the phone rings.

Gosh, it's never straightforward is it? There's always something.

In this case, I'm sort of having second thoughts. I mean, he seems like a really nice guy but he also seems to be a bit all over the place. The office, at the back is just room full of junk and he sometimes even sleeps on a bed in there, which is also VERY messy. Why not pay a chambermaid to sort out THAT shambles? It's a H-O-T-E-L for god's sake.

He also happens to be a psychotherapist and the "interview" kind of ended up with him analysing me :confused: Ehrm, awkward! :eek3:

Also, why having me waiting for a whole month when he apparently needed help urgently?

Should I continue looking for jobs or should I sit on my arse for another two/three weeks waiting for this one or what? All in all it sounded like a nice position that I'd like to try and it's possible the money is much better than a chambermaid's salary, but all this wait is making me sort of uneasy about it all and I can't quite put my finger on it... hmmm :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! Sounds really dodgy and if the hotels around by me are anything to go by it'll be a complete rip off and it sounds like the stuff they do round here all teh time.

ReputationRep:
    Look for more jobs, OP. This doesn't sound like an unmissable opportunity, so there's absolutely no harm in looking around. If you don't find anything you like more before february, you can always call this guy back. I'd ask more properly about wages, though, as it'll almost definitely be cash-in-hand, and so he may try and pay you less than minimum wage - this may be a bit hard on him, but it's happened to me before where he ended up paying me a little less than agreed as it was a bit below board so he didn't have to pay any tax/etc on the wages to us. I wouldn't worry, just make sure you know where you stand before you agree to anything, and keep looking around for other opportunities

ReputationRep:
    If it was me I really wouldn't waste my time. The owner sounds skittish. Who advertises for immediate help only to go away at the same time? He might come back after a month and not get in contact with you and that leaves you without work and waiting for a phone call in the meantime that might not come. Look for work elsewhere and use the interview as practice for others that will come up.

ReputationRep:
    There must be people in the area that have knowledge of this employer, he must have a rep? Ask around, get your parents to ask around.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your feedback

I'm definitely going to keep looking, although I'm finding it hard now that there are no seasonal obvious positions around anymore :woo:

I guess I'm going to call this guy in a couple of weeks just to see what he has to say, although I'm not too keen on it as I'm a big fan of straightforwardness and this particular employer doesn't seem to be offering any. Tut tut :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    I just had a chat with the B&B owner again (he called me).

And, well, initially I just went there to ask about a chambermaid position (there's still a handwritten sign on the window that says "Housekeeping, chambermaid, urgent" ) but he offered me to run the whole show, bookings, cleaning, cooking and whatever else that might arise...

I haven't got any prior experience. And he's offering cash in hand in the beginning... That's four days a week, running the whole place by myself that is. Or I can just cook and clean, SEVEN times a week, early start :eek3:

Would it be stupid of me to turn it down completely now when there aren't many jobs around? I just have the feeling I would be running around like a headless chicken doing the job of two or three people for just over the min. wage :eek:

:pinch: On top of that, I should let him know today because now he's on a rush. The chef slash chambermaid is leaving and he needs to sort out something asap (after he took one moth off on vacation) :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tongolele)
    I just had a chat with the B&B owner again (he called me).

And, well, initially I just went there to ask about a chambermaid position (there's still a handwritten sign on the window that says "Housekeeping, chambermaid, urgent" ) but he offered me to run the whole show, bookings, cleaning, cooking and whatever else that might arise...

I haven't got any prior experience. And he's offering cash in hand in the beginning... That's four days a week, running the whole place by myself that is. Or I can just cook and clean, SEVEN times a week, early start :eek3:

Would it be stupid of me to turn it down completely now when there aren't many jobs around? I just have the feeling I would be running around like a headless chicken doing the job of two or three people for just over the min. wage :eek:

:pinch: On top of that, I should let him know today because now he's on a rush. The chef slash chambermaid is leaving and he needs to sort out something asap (after he took one moth off on vacation) :woo:
    How long does he plan to keep you for? Do you think you'd be able to leave if it turned dodgy? Safety first... Cash-in-hand..... it's not like a regulated grad-management scheme but you may be getting the same training!!

ReputationRep:
    Uh, I'm not sure, at first we would see how we get on and I suppose it's a permanent position, or at least permanent while it gets busy, during the spring and summer I suppose.

And I'm not so sure about "training", I mean it's like he's just gonna talk me through how he does things and then leave me on my own :lolwut: I guess I could call it experience but I'm not sure I can handle it!

I just have a niggling feeling about this guy. He strikes me as very disorganised and like he's all over the place, and I don't like that one bit. I tend to be very methodic and fussy. And there are a few awful/dodgy reviews online about this place as well. But, on the other hand it seems irresponsible to turn a job down now that it's so hard to find paid work :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I loved chambermaiding. Its something about getting the room from looking like a sh** pit to all clean & shiney! Better in large chain hotels though, because their furniture is better condition & uniformal. B & B's seem a bit slap dash & unmatching furniture etc.
    I miss chambermaiding. But they didn't pay per room like your place is offering, thats good.
    I'm not sure I could be doing it 6 hours a day though, its exausting work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tongolele)
    Well, this is a bit of a rant.

I saw this add on a B&B and I applied for the position. I handed the owner my CV and it went fine, we had a long chat and he "sort of" offered me not the chambermaid job but to train me for a managerial position (as in, doing everything around from helping cook breakfast to bookings to telephone to working on the desk dealing with customers, etc).

BUT :rolleyes:

1) He said "Call me back in a months time as I'm travelling abroad and won't be back until February". WTF, I thought they needed help urgently?

2) I asked a couple of time about money but he didn't give me a number. He said he pays chambermaids per room and that we could work out an amount later when he's back.

3) He also said that there isn't a fixed schedule, that I would work roughly from 8 to 2 or so, and that I would need to be "on call" for the rest of the day :confused: even though I told him I only want a part time job, and I don't want to be tied up to that place every time the phone rings.

Gosh, it's never straightforward is it? There's always something.

In this case, I'm sort of having second thoughts. I mean, he seems like a really nice guy but he also seems to be a bit all over the place. The office, at the back is just room full of junk and he sometimes even sleeps on a bed in there, which is also VERY messy. Why not pay a chambermaid to sort out THAT shambles? It's a H-O-T-E-L for god's sake.

He also happens to be a psychotherapist and the "interview" kind of ended up with him analysing me :confused: Ehrm, awkward! :eek3:

Also, why having me waiting for a whole month when he apparently needed help urgently?

Should I continue looking for jobs or should I sit on my arse for another two/three weeks waiting for this one or what? All in all it sounded like a nice position that I'd like to try and it's possible the money is much better than a chambermaid's salary, but all this wait is making me sort of uneasy about it all and I can't quite put my finger on it... hmmm :erm:
    You don't know what the hourly rate is. I could be as low as £4.83 if you're under 21 (minimum wage for 18, 19, 20 year olds)

ReputationRep:
    Hotel industry is notoriously low pay, avoid if you can.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I just turned it down, the guy wouldn't specify neither hours nor wages, and although I kept asking direct questions about it I kept getting vague answers. Crazy. If it was my B&B I'd have everything written down with all sorts of details.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.