Turn on thread page Beta

How to deal with having my blood pressure taken watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Might I suggest an arterial line?

Femoral.
    Just looked up arterial lines and weirdly enough, I genuinely think that I'd rather have one of those than a standard armband pressure reading! ... Still pretty bad though, hahaha :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    Ooh even just reading what it does makes my stomach turn... oh dear oh dear

Yeah I'm not even afraid of the reading because I know if anything, my blood pressure is on the lower end of the normal spectrum. I just HATE hearing the band inflate and then feeling the tightness and feeling my pulse when it's that strong... I just don't like knowing that that's MY blood inside me being restricted like that, and even that was difficult to type because I started to imagine it. Ahgejg I think it's worse than I remember!

And yeah, I really don't like being able to feel my pulse at ANY time (after exercise or if I accidentally touch one of my pulse points etc.), because it just makes me feel queasy. It's a really difficult thing to make people understand, because for most people it's just a normal thing that they wouldn't think twice about, but then I guess it's the same with all phobias.

I last had it done in April 2008 I think, and it was HORRIBLE. I had it done like four times in one day the year before, which was bad, and then having it done again stressed me out so much. I was thinking about it today and thinking 'Oh come on, it's just a pulse, it won't hurt you!' but unfortunately I just can't rationalise it at all. It makes it worse that I can't even escape because you HAVE to feel it, it's not like you can get rid of your arm for a few seconds :/

Weirdly enough, the last injection I had I was also fine :p: I'd take an injection over a blood pressure reading anyday...

I really am SO glad I made this thread, as I'm always made to feel like such a weirdo! I always refused to take pulses in Biology It's such a relief to find someone else who gets what I mean about the wanting to run away but obviously not being able to! I'd LOVE to get rid of this phobia, because obviously I can't get through my life without ever having it done again!
    Well that was quite awhile ago...it might be a little better than you imagined!
    I don't think anyone can rationalise their fears...I have a load of messed up phobias haha It's weird though when I HAVE to face something I hate in the presence of others my shyness stops me from telling them I'm scared so I just get on with it...then I feel alright! haha bit weird. I always find it helps to pretend that I'm okay with something I'm not

(Original post by Quail)
    I really am SO glad I made this thread, as I'm always made to feel like such a weirdo! I always refused to take pulses in Biology It's such a relief to find someone else who gets what I mean about the wanting to run away but obviously not being able to! I'd LOVE to get rid of this phobia, because obviously I can't get through my life without ever having it done again!
    I thought I'd be fine - I'm not scared of much. I ended up having my pulse taken 4 times. Each time I was like 'ffs, get over yourself, it's a machine, it didn't chop your arm off last time why would it now, you can do this' etc etc (that's why you can't talk out a phobia) and then when it would start squeezing my arm I'd be like OMG get it off me. The good news is having your BP taken is quite rare for healthy people until you get old... hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    Yeah, it's not so good!

Do you think it'd make a difference if I did the whole putting-my-head-between-my-knees thing to stop me from feeling light-headed? I'd ASSUME it wouldn't affect the result, might just look a bit weird... no idea if it actually helps, but I'll try anything if there's a chance it will!
    It might affect the reading, theoretically speaking you're supposed to keep your elbow roughly at heart-level, if my memory doesn't fail me (or just below it), so for example comfortably resting on a reasonably high table while sat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    And that's what TSR's here for; for weirdos of the world to unite and share their problems with each other. (Alltogether: Awwwwwww)

/joke
    hope you find it's not as bad as you imagined tommorow

ReputationRep:
    I'm not necessarily scared of having my pulse taken but it does freak me out a little bit because I don't like people touching my veins! Same with having blood taken, it's the needle going into a vein which gets me. On Wednesday I had an operation and it was my worst nightmare because after it was all over I wasn't coming round properly, my pulse hit 160, queue ECG infront of many medical students and like every minute I'd have someone come and prod me and find my wrist.

I can laugh about it now but at one stage I wouldn't get a blood test, no way. Now I've had about 50 I'm over it, I think as time went by and all the blood draws were fine I just learnt it would most likely always be that way. Hopefully it will be the same for you and I'm sure after a couple of appointments you'll be more confident you can handle it. I'd explain to the nurse beforehand too that you are anxious and they'll most likely be able to help put your mind at rest a little.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing you can do is let your nurse know! I'm a student nurse so have to do blood pressures all the time and because i could possibly be doing 20 patients in a row i'd just get on with it! but if i knew someone was scared i'd make sure I reassured them a lot! Plus then I could take it into account of you got a high reading!

But you can always just refuse :P I wouldn't recommend it if you had a serious condition but if it's just for routine purposes and you're normally fine then just say no!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hay.hay)
    The best thing you can do is let your nurse know! I'm a student nurse so have to do blood pressures all the time and because i could possibly be doing 20 patients in a row i'd just get on with it! but if i knew someone was scared i'd make sure I reassured them a lot! Plus then I could take it into account of you got a high reading!

But you can always just refuse :P I wouldn't recommend it if you had a serious condition but if it's just for routine purposes and you're normally fine then just say no!
    Can you refuse?! My friend and I were going to go to see a nurse about going on the pill and last time I went she just told me she was going to do it... maybe that's one of the situations where you can't refuse actually, seeing as they need to check you're OK to get it... I've really no idea about anything to do with doctors as fortunately I never need to go, touch wood!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    Can you refuse?! My friend and I were going to go to see a nurse about going on the pill and last time I went she just told me she was going to do it... maybe that's one of the situations where you can't refuse actually, seeing as they need to check you're OK to get it... I've really no idea about anything to do with doctors as fortunately I never need to go, touch wood!
    The nurse can't tell you she is going to do something as they need to have consent for everything. If she says 'i need to take your blood pressure' and you put your arm out though it's taken as implied consent. I think in that case though, the nurse can just refuse to put you on the pill as it is important to have your BP taken i think.

In general though, you can refuse anything! Even if you where an inpatient you can refuse anything the nurse wants to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    Hello pals and gals.

I have a problem which some people will think is weird or pathetic no doubt, but I really would like some help with it.

Basically, tomorrow, I might need to have my blood pressure taken... however I HATE having it done. It makes me go all light-headed and panicky and hot and feel faint. I'm actually feeling a bit funny just thinking about it. I hate the fact I can feel my pulse, as I'm a bit squeamish and weird about blood and things, and the whole process is just really stressful. Last time I had it done I almost had a panic attack, and I was physically shaking throughout. The nurse was incredibly unsympathetic too which made it worse, even though I'd told her how much I hated it before she put the band on my arm.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, is there ANYTHING anyone can suggest to help me deal with it? Obviously I can't avoid having it done forever, so I'd like to conquer this ridiculous fear now ideally. Or is my only option to tell the nurse and hope she's nice to me?

Thanks in advance

Without sounding a *****- there are much worse things a nurse can do to you than taking blood presure, i'm not surprised she didn't seem sympathetic, some nurses dont have much patience i'm afraid.

It's you thats reacting to having your blood pressure taken, NOT the procedure that is causing these symptoms, it is a ridiculous fear! Whats it going to do to you?!

Try this, when its being done, imaging 10 stepping stones to a big island, with palm trees, blue sea, crips white sand and a hunky man...and take 10 deep breaths in, through the nose and out the mouth, after each cycle, imagine you're getting one step closer towards this island- its a good relaxation tip i use when giving injections, or people are being sick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)

You can refuse, but i wouldn't reccomend it as it is something you do need to get over and learn to deal with, if you ever had kids you'd have to have your BP taken a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Without sounding a *****- there are much worse things a nurse can do to you than taking blood presure, i'm not surprised she didn't seem sympathetic, some nurses dont have much patience i'm afraid.

It's you thats reacting to having your blood pressure taken, NOT the procedure that is causing these symptoms, it is a ridiculous fear! Whats it going to do to you?!

Try this, when its being done, imaging 10 stepping stones to a big island, with palm trees, blue sea, crips white sand and a hunky man...and take 10 deep breaths in, through the nose and out the mouth, after each cycle, imagine you're getting one step closer towards this island- its a good relaxation tip i use when giving injections, or people are being sick
    I know it's ridiculous, but I really can't help it! Believe me, if I had the choice I'd get rid of it in a shot, but unfortunately, as with all phobias, it doesn't work like that. I don't want to make the nurse's job any harder than it already must be, and I'm just desperate to shake this off now.

Whenever I've tried doing the relaxation imagine-y things in the past, I've never been able to keep my mind of them, because then I just feel what's going on and it stresses me out. I tried reading up on blood pressure yesterday to see if exposing myself to it and trying to understand it would do anything, but now I know what it does it's just made it worse!

Aggh this is so frustrating, really it is...

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, loads of people hate it. Count yourself lucky you don't have medical students taking your blood pressure retaaaaaaardly slowly and inflating the cuff way too much. I tend to hold my breath personally... probably doesn't help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    Seriously, loads of people hate it. Count yourself lucky you don't have medical students taking your blood pressure retaaaaaaardly slowly and inflating the cuff way too much. I tend to hold my breath personally... probably doesn't help!

meh, they're amateurs at it! I find its much quicker doing it manual than a machine

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.