Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can't seem to live a normal life watch

Announcements

I always have a deep horrible nasty anxious feeling all the time expecially when Im away from family. Ive always had it though its not that I have a panic disorder I remember at infant school I was anxious all the time. The thing is its making me hate doing normal things Ive quit college cause of it I just hated the feeling every morning of travelling on a bus with cars, fumes, the colour grey everywhere yet I love peaceful green sunny areas I don't know how people can live in cities. Anyway Im thinking of applying for uni accomodation as im doing childrens nursing Im don't think i'l complete the course even im not exactly enthusiastic even though i was last year when i applied, Im hoping if I live in accomodation, make friends etc (as I have none now) the enthusiasm will come back. But then theres this anxiety feeling I always have the worst thing about all this is Im 25 and still have got nowhere in life. Im only happy and confident engaging in small things like sport and doing odd jobs for family, things where I can always run home if I can't stand being there.

It sounds dramatic but I don't know how else to put it, I don't know if the anxious feeling will calm down if I get out there and try to live on my own etc but I can't see how. The time im most calm is at night so for years Ive tended to be awake all night and sleep during the day, when I try to alter this I get the on edge anxious feeling:confused:

ReputationRep:
    It looked too long to read and I'm quite tired.
    http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...ilies/hugs.gif

(Original post by Ham22)
    it sounds like its just your personality. i can relate quite a bit. i have always been an anxious person. i remember at primary school feeling anxious over things that no one else was bothered about at all, i didnt understand why i was feeling so paniced about some things (not like i had any bad experiences to fear things). ive jsut come to the conclusion its how my body reacts and i can't control when it goes off. (mostly)

if you want to achieve things, but aspects of the task make you anxious, all you can do is just persevere through it. if you do something enough your body will realise its ok and the feeling of anxiety and panic will reduce, and maybe go entirely.

there have been lots of things i've done which have made me so nervous (school, interviews, university, jobs) i hated it and just wanted to get out- but eventually the feeling goes with perseverance.

you need to develop a drive to succeed. tell yourself you won't be a quitter. if i'd listened to my anxiety over the years, i'd be living in a cave by now.
    True, its weird but I don't mind the type of anxiety I get before a presentation, before seeing the dentist its just a nervous/excitable feeling to me but I also get like an horrible deep anxiety in my chest area for no reason that generally can last for an hour then I'l feel relief when it goes away, sometimes it just suddenly goes away. Its a bit like when you have a pain somewhere and then it just suddenly goes away and you feel relief..except its an anxious feeling ..lol its the only way I can explain. Ive noticed I feel a lot better during the summer months so maybe it is state of mind or whatever but your right I guess its just something that needs to be coped with.

(Original post by Aninja)
    It looked too long to read and I'm quite tired.
    http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...ilies/hugs.gif
    lol its ok

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a social anxiety disorder tbh. Doctors can help you through this, though from experience, having a trusting friend who'll throw you in to the deep end but help you swim is a very good thing to have.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.