Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    awwww don't crush his dreams, that's rather mean. Let him be. Being deluded is one of the things that gets you through the med course. There's too many negative things about medicine to always maintain to be realistic all the time. Most med students don't know how well they'll fare as a doctor let alone med applicants.

As for the OP's question why the hell would you care how good a med student you're going to be? You don't need to impress the uni of you're worth, they're already convinced of it when they accept you. You can be stupid, squeamish of blood, scared of patients, all of those things. And you can still get through med school and go on to become a great doctor if you try hard enough and pass the exams. For example if you were squeamish with blood, you can force yourself to get over it if you really want to just keep trying (if you do dissection for example, keep dissecting) and you'll get used to it.

Most med students will hate some things about the course and most doctors will hate stuff about their job. For example like you I hate memorising all these medical terms but I'll still learn them as my goal is to finish med school and become a doctor.

As for having doubts, loads of medics have doubts about medicine. If you don't have any doubts at all then you're probably deluded (which as I've said before probably helps lol). If Medicine and becoming a doctor looks like the most favourite option at the point of applying to ucas, go ahead and take it. If things don't work out for you, you can always switch course. Just make sure you know what you're getting into with medicine before you apply that's all. I still have doubts whether I'll enjoy being a doctor even though I'm a med student as I won't actually know what being a doctor is like until I actually do it for myself.
    thanks for the honest answer (for a second there i thought you had to be a dead cert before you even enter the school :p: )

i was looking at some college exam papers there to see what it entails.
    For anyone else who wants them:

https://www.mis.nuigalway.ie/regexam..._main_menu.asp type in 'medicine'

I cant put my finger on what i like about it, i just like the non-stop atmosphere of a hospital compared to sitting in an office for the rest of my life:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    You sound like an obsessive idealist who will get his dreams crushed the first time someone dies on him, or he has a crappy shift.

If you think you can honestly say with any confidence, when you appear to be at the very least 7 years away from graduating, that you know you're going to make a good doctor, you need to be sectioned.
    No, I'm not obsessed, but thinking like that gives me the ambition to pull out through the work I need to do.
    It's just positive thinking. :p:
    Oh, and everyone gets their dreams crushed when someone dies on them. That's normal, but I believe you eventually learn to cope with it, and learn from your mistakes.

(Original post by blonde-beth)
    doubts about doing medicine are completely normal and healthy. with anyone applying who has never had any doubts, i would be doubtful that they really realised what the career entails...
    its about having doubts, and realising that you want it despite the negatives.
    Yes, having doubts is normal, but you have to get past them in order to cope with all the work a med student has to do.

ReputationRep:
    Being a med student is one thing, being a doctor is another. It requires a lot of dedication and later on once you erase those doubts, enthusiasm esp if you want to be a consultant. GP's on the other hand, i think they are overpaid medical wikipedias. My mum works in royal brumpton, and ive heard all sorts of stories, and i think to be a doctor you make it a mission to save other peoples lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logan)
    Being a med student is one thing, being a doctor is another. It requires a lot of dedication and later on once you erase those doubts, enthusiasm esp if you want to be a consultant. GP's on the other hand, i think they are overpaid medical wikipedias. My mum works in royal brumpton, and ive heard all sorts of stories, and i think to be a doctor you make it a mission to save other peoples lives.
    harder than you think to be a GP. Remember they do treat 90% of cases, only 10% of cases go to the hospitals.

Making a diagnosis in a few minutes after hearing the patient's story of what's wrong with them (which isn't always so accurate or specific) is tough.

They do generally work fewer hours and get paid more though. Most GPs seem to love their career too. But of course consultants can always go private if they want extra cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    No. As Lyra would say, we all have choices, and while you are alive, your duty is to the living and to live in this world. If we only ever did what we knew we could do, the world would be a drab and lonely place indeed.
    This.

And... Another HDM fan?

ReputationRep:
    I think if you are struggling to choose between medicine and something contrasting like business its maybe not a great idea to apply for medicine. The sheer drive and commitment involved means you need to want to do it 100%.

Its fine to have some doubts if you know that's its what you ultimately want to do, but have niggles.

But then again I know someone who wanted to be a doctor for their whole life who started studying medicine but loathed it, so...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.