Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: Prenuptial agreement for marriage? watch

ReputationRep:
    If you were to be getting married with a guy but he asked you to agree to a prenuptial agreement (which is like an official contract) that states you're not entitled to any of his wealth, property, assets etc. in the event of a divorce...would you accept?

So if a divorce does happen, you will get absolutely nothing that isn't yours (if property mortgages are in both of your names and you've each contributed to it then that's divided) but otherwise what's his remains his and what's your remains yours.

Also, question for the guys...would you consider a prenuptial agreement to protect your money or are you okay with them ripping off your balls through your wallet with a divorce?

EDIT: could be other way around with women having more wealth, I'm just going with the general trend though and it's usually the woman getting the money rather than giving it in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    If I was asked to sign something like that before getting married I'd be concerned about whether the guy was fully committed, to be honest. I'd be quite hurt by the idea that "this marriage couldn't last and what's mine is mine, biatch".

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't consider it(as a guy). I have faith in my ability to choose who to marry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    If I was asked to sign something like that before getting married I'd be concerned about whether the guy was fully committed, to be honest. I'd be quite hurt by the idea that "this marriage couldn't last and what's mine is mine, biatch".
    But think of it from a guy's point of view. If you didn't sign something like that then he'd be concerned about your intentions and whether you're with him for his money...and plan to get some of it through a divorce, in which case your committment to the marriage comes into question.

It could be either way though, if the wife's got more wealth then who's to say the guy's not with her for her money?

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** are you only asking it one way round? :eyebrow: Maybe girls want to ask guys to sign pre-nups. Oddly enough, there are some females who plan on earning a lot of money too.

ReputationRep:
    Insulting to be honest, and I would only get married if I trusted my partner and vice versa. Also they would know me, and know that I wouldn't go through a legal battle to take money I didn't earn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    Why the **** are you only asking it one way round? :eyebrow: Maybe girls want to ask guys to sign pre-nups. Oddly enough, there are some females who plan on earning a lot of money too.
    Might want to read the post above yours.
    I just did it one way around because that's the more common scenario, and women are generally more favoured by law during divorce.

ReputationRep:
    Divorce would not be an option, I think that if two people are committed enough to each other then they can find other ways to resolve their differences than to become divorcees.

So in response, no I wouldn't sign a prenuptial agreement!
    =)

ReputationRep:
    I'd understand. I would never get married without signing a pre-nup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    If you were to be getting married with a guy but he asked you to agree to a prenuptial agreement (which is like an official contract) that states you're not entitled to any of his wealth, property, assets etc. in the event of a divorce...would you accept?

So if a divorce does happen, you will get absolutely nothing that isn't yours (if property mortgages are in both of your names and you've each contributed to it then that's divided) but otherwise what's his remains his and what's your remains yours.

Also, question for the guys...would you consider a prenuptial agreement to protect your money or are you okay with them ripping off your balls through your wallet with a divorce?
    There are plenty of couples where the girls earns more than the guy. Anyway, if there is child maintainance involved prenups are irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    I would consider it.

ReputationRep:
    If you have to get a prenup, then you shouldn't be getting married.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Prenuptials aren't recognised by the courts in this country, so they're not really worth the paper they're written on.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bad idea, things can change over such a long period of time.

ReputationRep:
    Girl : Yes, of course.. because I'm going to ask him for one as well whether or not he did ask one from me in the first place. I'm not going to be blinded by love to share my stuff..

I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    I actually wouldn't mind. He would also have to sign so he can't anything off me. A lot of things could happen in a marriage that would make one partner want their spouse's money so why not.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd sign one and I'd make him sign one too, only fair tbh. not like I'd wanna get divorced so no harm in signing it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    If you have to get a prenup, then you shouldn't be getting married.
    Oh get real. We dont live in a fairy tale. Anything can happen in a marriage. One may stray, differences between you may surface in later years... A pre nup is smart.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    The general trend is that men make more money than women (sorry 'womyn'), more aggressively pursue promotions and high earning jobs, and are more likely to be in high up positions, then add to that that women generally skive off of work to look after children and generally her overall earning will be comparatively low. Men get raped in divorce courts, women do not. Divorce is generally quite profitable for women; it rarely is for men. There's your answer, now cut the PC bull**** - you know that this is usually true.

As for the original Q: I wouldn't get married at all - it's very foolish for a man, but if I did I'd get a pre-nup and if she didn't like it then no marriage.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.