Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: Prenuptial agreement for marriage? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    Might want to read the post above yours.
    I just did it one way around because that's the more common scenario, and women are generally more favoured by law during divorce.
    Ah, missed that.
    I just really hate it because I grew up with literally all the men I know either stealing from their wives/being the ones who got all the money after divorce. Men can be financial drains too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see the point in them - if you truly believe you're going to be with someone forever, then why do you need an agreement to decide what happens if you split up? IMO if you don't think you're going to be together 'til death do us part' then getting married is completely pointless.

That said, although I'm never getting married, if hypothetically I had to, then I would want a pre-nuptial agreement because I could never truly believe that I would be with that one person for the rest of my life (and thus in reality won't marry them) and would want to protect my wealth.

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm I'm undecided. My mom wants me to have one when I get married because I'll inherit quite a bit and she wants to keep it in the family. But then, I don't want to think about getting divorced from someone I chose to marry! I'll consider that when the time comes, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    I'd understand. I would never get married without signing a pre-nup.
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    But think of it from a guy's point of view. If you didn't sign something like that then he'd be concerned about your intentions and whether you're with him for his money...and plan to get some of it through a divorce, in which case your committment to the marriage comes into question.

It could be either way though, if the wife's got more wealth then who's to say the guy's not with her for her money?
    If my gf happened to be really rich I wouldn't refuse to sign, I would probably just decide against marrying them. If there is not trust in your relationship, and if you don't see yourselves being together forever why the **** would you get married? What is wrong with just being girlfriend and boyfriend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshyEls)
    There are plenty of couples where the girls earns more than the guy. Anyway, if there is child maintainance involved prenups are irrelevant.
    Statistically men are far more likely to lose out in divorce courts, its really as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose the intention only is to cover your back, so that you dont have to dish out loads of money when you get divorced... but I might be slightly offended that he'd think that I'd even do that, or even suggest i was a bit of a golddigga ..

So if I was to sign one, so would he.. though I dont really want to be divorced....

ReputationRep:
    If you were to be getting married with a guy but he asked you to agree to a prenuptial agreement (which is like an official contract) that states you're not entitled to any of his wealth, property, assets etc. in the event of a divorce...would you accept?

So if a divorce does happen, you will get absolutely nothing that isn't yours (if property mortgages are in both of your names and you've each contributed to it then that's divided) but otherwise what's his remains his and what's your remains yours.

Also, question for the guys...would you consider a prenuptial agreement to protect your money or are you okay with them ripping off your balls through your wallet with a divorce?
    Yeah because only men earn enough money to justify a prenup. OBVIOUSLY.
    Personally, as I'm not a gold-digger, I'd be pretty offended if I was asked to sign one. It shows there's no trust in the relationship-so what's the point in marriage? Also, what about any children born during the mariage?

ReputationRep:
    I'd want a prenup if I got married. I also don't ever intend on owning a joint bank account.

I'm such a romantic at heart :P

ReputationRep:
    Oh get real. We dont live in a fairy tale. Anything can happen in a marriage. One may stray, differences between you may surface in later years... A pre nup is smart.
    Again, if one is going to stray, why the **** would you get married? Why can't you just be sure you want to be with that person, no matter what happens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    Statistically men are far more likely to lose out in divorce courts, its really as simple as that.
    Usually in situations where the woman has given up her job to look after the guys house etc, or where there are kids involved. That is kind of fair enough in my opinion. I agree sometimes they get too much though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FootPrints)
    Yeah because only men earn enough money to justify a prenup. OBVIOUSLY.
    Personally, as I'm not a gold-digger, I'd be pretty offended if I was asked to sign one. It shows there's no trust in the relationship-so what's the point in marriage? Also, what about any children born during the mariage?
    Youdon't have to be a gold digger from the start. If you get married and have a nasty breakup you can guarantee you will want to get everything you are entitled to.

I've seen it so many times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Again, if one is going to stray, why the **** would you get married? Why can't you just be sure you want to be with that person, no matter what happens?
    Life doesnt work like that! Lets not be idealistic. Nobody knows if someone is going to stray and you dont know if you wont either. Thats why when you marry, you are taking a risk - hence the existence of pre-nups. My parents were married 12 years before my father had an affair. My mum didnt have a clue.

ReputationRep:
    I understand why a man would want a pre-nup, but personally I would want the marriage to not need one - I'd want there to be enough trust and goodwill there - even if we were to break up - that we'd trust each other to be fair, and know what each of us deserves. It's a nice idea, but I think if I got to the stage of wanting to spend the rest of my life with someone, I could acheive it.

ReputationRep:
    It would very much depend on the marriage, but in most cases I'd be inclined to say no.

If my husband expected me to take time out of the work force to have children and spend time raising them... only to divorce me a few years later I would be a fool to accept the pre-nuptial. After the divorce I would be poor (having sacrificed years of earning) and would struggle to get a new job (since in most industries I would be behind the times with technological advances and thus not particularly desirable). A marriage is a joint partnership and in that kind of set up the 2 parties both make sacrificies (the woman sacrifices her own career for the family, and it is therefore the man's duty to sacrifice money he has earnt after a divorce). Likewise, if I had the chance to pursue a career and the man stayed at home because we both mutually agreed our family dynamic would work best that way, there is no way I'd deny him money after a divorce. It would be cruel and pretty scummy.

My mother was in a similar position (although my dad died, there was no divorce) where she supported him in his career, moved countries because it was what he wanted... only to be left high and dry a bit later on. It wasn't a massive disaster because she's really smart and got new qualifications etc so did well on her own, but there were a few years when it was harder on her financially.

Most households don't have that extreme a setting any more, but the point is still there. Marriage is a partnership and you work together, there could be times in the future where my husband is out of a job or wants to be a mature student or whatever, and I would support him there. Likewise, if I were out of a job my husband would support me. Separating finances is impractical when you essentially stop acting as an individual entity when you get married, you become one half of a new entity.

If I were an old lady and the man was old then I wouldn't see the point in a pre-nup though, we've both had our careers and earnt money separately. But assuming it's a normal + youngish marriage I wouldn't ask my husband for a pre-nup and I wouldn't expect him to ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Life doesnt work like that! Lets not be idealistic. Nobody knows if someone is going to stray and you dont know if you wont either. Thats why when you marry, you are taking a risk - hence the existence of pre-nups. My parents were married 12 years before my father had an affair. My mum didnt have a clue.
    A prenup suggests that you're going to divorce. It predicts it. If you go into a marriage predicting that it'll fail, why are you getting married?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshyEls)
    If my gf happened to be really rich I wouldn't refuse to sign, I would probably just decide against marrying them. If there is not trust in your relationship, and if you don't see yourselves being together forever why the **** would you get married? What is wrong with just being girlfriend and boyfriend?
    You two (and probably some I've missed) are really quite naive. "if one is going to stray blah blah blah" yeah, because people who stray plan it before they get married, right? When people get married I'm sure they genuinely think they will stay together for ever but it doesn't always work out like that - things change.

A prenup suggests that you're going to divorce. It predicts it. If you go into a marriage predicting that it'll fail, why are you getting married?
    It doesn't predict it at all. It's just in case because no one knows whether you will get divorced or stay together.

ReputationRep:
    Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of couples that divorce each year. They all marry with good intentions, but things don't always pan out the way you hope. You're so delusional it's unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    It doesn't predict it at all. It's just in case because no one knows whether you will get divorced or stay together.
    If you think at any point you'll get divorced, you shouldn't be getting married. IF you were to get divorced or stray, you can sort it out. A bit of paper that says what will happen when your marriage breaks down predicts it will break down.

ReputationRep:
    Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of couples that divorce each year. They all marry with good intentions, but things don't always pan out the way you hope. You're so delusional it's unbelievable.
    I wouldn't get married if I was under the impression that the bloke would steal all my money and cheat on me. I'd be SURE. I wouldn't get a piece of paper that predicts that it wont work out. You shouldn't be getting married if so.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.