Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: Prenuptial agreement for marriage? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notker)
    The general trend is that men make more money than women (sorry 'womyn'), more aggressively pursue promotions and high earning jobs, and are more likely to be in high up positions, then add to that that women generally skive off of work to look after children and generally her overall earning will be comparatively low. Men get raped in divorce courts, women do not. Divorce is generally quite profitable for women; it rarely is for men. There's your answer, now cut the PC bull**** - you know that this is usually true.

As for the original Q: I wouldn't get married at all - it's very foolish for a man, but if I did I'd get a pre-nup and if she didn't like it then no marriage.
    So much is wrong about this post. First, I think you need reminding that children are not just women's responsibility - a man probably wouldn't be able to 'aggressively pursue promotions' if his wife didn't have to give up work or reduce her hours to look after his children. That's why divorce settlements aren't as simple as what everyone earned during the marriage. Also, divorce isn't profitable for anyone involved, unless one partner has considerable wealth. Many women are left in a worse position than before they were married after divorce - it is less true for men. This is because they're generally the ones who've had to sacrifice their career. Yes, he has to pay her maintenance, but many men do get out of paying it if their ex-wives are too humiliated to ask for it or report him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    A prenup suggests that you're going to divorce. It predicts it. If you go into a marriage predicting that it'll fail, why are you getting married?
    You dont sign a pre-nup because you think you'll get divorced - you sign a pre-nup just in case you get divorced. Its better to protect yourself, rather than to give over to blind faith and risk ending up with no money, no home and no children - all because you didnt sign a pre-nup.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't get married if I was under the impression that the bloke would steal all my money and cheat on me. I'd be SURE. I wouldn't get a piece of paper that predicts that it wont work out. You shouldn't be getting married if so.
    So you think that all the couples that do marry and end up divorcing with one of them getting a large share knowingly married despite being under this impression?

They all think like you do, that they're getting married because they trust each other and love each other and will be together forever. Then the time of a divorce comes, they despise each other and want to take as much and give as little as possible.

I feel so sorry for whoever ends up marrying you :nah: if that time even comes :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    You dont sign a pre-nup because you think you'll get divorced - you sign a pre-nup just in case you get divorced. Its better to protect yourself, rather than to give over to blind faith and risk ending up with no money, no home and no children - all because you didnt sign a pre-nup.
    I still retain that if you're not 100% sure it'll work out, hence the need for the prenup, you shouldn't be getting married in the first place.

(Original post by Playboy King)
    I feel so sorry for whoever ends up marrying you :nah: if that time even comes :rolleyes:
    U mad?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't get married if I was under the impression that the bloke would steal all my money and cheat on me. I'd be SURE. I wouldn't get a piece of paper that predicts that it wont work out. You shouldn't be getting married if so.
    Read my earlier post where someone says they aren't a gold digger.

You might marry a guy who you think you can trust etc and wont take your money if you split up but if you do split up then in the majority of cases he will take everything he is entitled to.

Saying it predicts divorce is stupid. You know if you sign a pre-nup you can still stay together forever if it all works out?

ReputationRep:
    not for me no. and no i wouldn't accept tbh. hmm.

ReputationRep:
    I still retain that if you're not 100% sure it'll work out, hence the need for the prenup, you shouldn't be getting married in the first place.
    Something tells me, since you're so idealistic, you're gonna be in for a few nasty life surprises. And one day, you just might end up really, really regretting your decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    Read my earlier post where someone says they aren't a gold digger.

You might marry a guy who you think you can trust etc and wont take your money if you split up but if you do split up then in the majority of cases he will take everything he is entitled to.

Saying it predicts divorce is stupid. You know if you sign a pre-nup you can still stay together forever if it all works out?
    If there's ANY doubt whatsoever, you shouldn't be getting married. It's dead simple.

ReputationRep:
    I would personally be offended. My boyfriend and I actually discussed this before. He makes twice the money without a degree than I will after I get my degree. I will be highly dependant on him financially, and we've decided we're both okay with that. He also knows that, in the event of a divorce, he'd still care about me enough that he'd want to take care of me a bit until I could get back on my feet. No, I wouldn't take him for all he's worth and he trusts that. If you can't trust that from your partner, you shouldn't be marrying them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Something tells me, since you're so idealistic, you're gonna be in for a few nasty life surprises.
    Not really - at least I'm not going to leap into a marriage I have doubts about. That's just asking for trouble. If you want to do so, be my guest.

ReputationRep:
    Pre nups aren't a legal document in the UK so it wouldn't count anyway. I think I'll be making enough of my own money without needing to take my husbands anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If there's ANY doubt whatsoever, you shouldn't be getting married. It's dead simple.
    It's not doubt. It's a back up. Taking travel insurance isn't predicting something is gonna go wrong on holiday or whatever, it's just IN CASE something does go wrong..

ReputationRep:
    So you think all those people who have been divorced had doubts before they got married?

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woozeybear)
    It's not doubt. It's a back up. Taking travel insurance isn't predicting something is gonna go wrong on holiday or whatever, it's just IN CASE something does go wrong..
    That's a good analogy :yy:

ReputationRep:
    If you have to get a prenup, then you shouldn't be getting married.
    I totally agree. If my partner can't trust me, then what is the point?? If he asked me to sign a pre-nup, I'm afraid the marriage would be over before it began. I would NEVER EVER want to take any of his money, no matter what happens, I am not a bitter old woman out to make some money off a poor bloke I had strung along.
    I intend to be making about the same wage as my current bf anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    So you think all those people who have been divorced had doubts before they got married?

No.
    So what? I'm espressing my opinion. Whether people agree with me or not is irrelevent. In my view, you shouldn't be getting married if you have doubts, and that's the way I'll look at it throughout my life. I think that if you live for a partner for 7/8+ years, then it's a sign it'll work indefinitely and you could get married. My view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woozeybear)
    When you go on holiday, you don't know whether someone will hit you or lose your luggage or you'll fall ill, because you just don't know. Having lived with someone for a long time and got along with them, you'll know whether it'll work or not. You shouldn't get married if you have any doubts whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Any guy that watched Two and a half men can understand to reason why you'd want one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    Pre nups aren't a legal document in the UK so it wouldn't count anyway. I think I'll be making enough of my own money without needing to take my husbands anyway.
    But what if one of you decided to take time off work to have children? Would it be fair if you didn't give your husband any money after he had taken time off work to look after your children? My problem with pre-nups are that they don't take into account the unpaid labour that supports the working partner and allows him/her to progress in their career. Surely the other partner is entitled to some of that money that they indirectly earned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    Any guy that watched Two and a half men can understand to reason why you'd want one.
    The guy in Two and a Half Men is constantly referred to as spineless. He's even ridiculed for the amount of money he pays his wife. He wont stand up for himself, and it's not a good example.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.