Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: Prenuptial agreement for marriage? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd be hurt and wouldn't sign it. Why bother marrying if you think perhaps the marriage won't last?

ReputationRep:
    I'd sign it as long as I'm happy with all the details. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    When you go on holiday, you don't know whether someone will hit you or lose your luggage or you'll fall ill, because you just don't know. Having lived with someone for a long time and got along with them, you'll know whether it'll work or not. You shouldn't get married if you have any doubts whatsoever.
    If everyone thought that way, no one would get married. Everyone changes over time, you don't even know how you will turn out tbh. Impossible to predict whether someone will cheat or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    The guy in Two and a Half Men is constantly referred to as spineless. He's even ridiculed for the amount of money he pays his wife. He wont stand up for himself, and it's not a good example.
    Extreme case, ok. But the thought of your wife screwing you over, divorcing, then taking money you earn after the divorce is kinda scary. You'd never catch a break.

ReputationRep:
    No I wouldn't sign one. A marriage can break down, but you should at least trust your partner to be decent and fair about it if that happens.

If you don't trust your partner to be decent in the event of divorce:
    a) Don't marry them
    b) Prenuptial agreements aren't really gonna stop them being a tosser

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt mind getting one, but my bf wouldnt ask and he has nothing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woozeybear)
    If everyone thought that way, no one would get married. Everyone changes over time, you don't even know how you will turn out tbh. Impossible to predict whether someone will cheat or whatever.
    People stay together their entire lives, too. Some people actually trust one another and how their relationship will turn out, and magically enough some people make compromises for their marriage rather than breaking it off. Personally I think cheating is unecessary and strictly betrayal of trust on the half of that person's partner, and if they think they'll do it they shouldn't even be in a relationship full stop (but that's another issue entirely - doubtless I'll get TSR-flamed for saying so). At least I know I wont get into a dooomed marriage that will ultimately crush me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    Extreme case, ok. But the thought of your wife screwing you over, divorcing, then taking money you earn after the divorce is kinda scary. You'd never catch a break.
    It would be awful, but then again if you think they're capable of it, why are you marrying them, y'know?

ReputationRep:
    If I was going to get married(unlikely) It'd all depend on how wealthy I was at that point:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely adore the idea of a pre-nup.

ReputationRep:
    People stay together their entire lives, too. Some people actually trust one another and how their relationship will turn out, and magically enough some people make compromises for their marriage rather than breaking it off. Personally I think cheating is unecessary and strictly betrayal of trust on the half of that person's partner, and if they think they'll do it they shouldn't even be in a relationship full stop (but that's another issue entirely - doubtless I'll get TSR-flamed for saying so). At least I know I wont get into a dooomed marriage that will ultimately crush me.
    Yes I know people stay together their entire lives, I plan to do the same my parents are doing that and my grandparents etc. But I don't think there's anything wrong with signing a pre-nup if you know you're not gonna get divorced anyway, no harm in it is there? Doesn't mean you're doomed to divorce.

ReputationRep:
    Question: What is the exact law on divorce in UK? Does it require the consent of both husband and wife?

ReputationRep:
    She would have to sign a pre-nup. Women are fickle things.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know people stay together their entire lives, I plan to do the same my parents are doing that and my grandparents etc. But I don't think there's anything wrong with signing a pre-nup if you know you're not gonna get divorced anyway, no harm in it is there? Doesn't mean you're doomed to divorce.
    If you're not going to get divorced, why do you need the prenup?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    But think of it from a guy's point of view. If you didn't sign something like that then he'd be concerned about your intentions and whether you're with him for his money...and plan to get some of it through a divorce, in which case your committment to the marriage comes into question.
    I can't think of anyone going into a marriage being concerned about things like that. Except for maybe millionaires or celebrities. THEN it'd be something to take into account. But really, people get married because they want to spend the rest of their life together.. I'm sure only a minority of people do it for their partner's money. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Kind of defies the purpose of marriage...

ReputationRep:
    If you're not going to get divorced, why does signing the prenup matter?

If the guy I was marrying asked me to sign one I wouldn't think of it as he didn't trust me/he doubted the relationship I'd think he was right in asking me to sign one cos we might end up hating each other (you don't know how people are gonna turn out) and if we had kids, it'd be better for them for us to get a divorce, and we'd each be entitled to our own earnings to support the kids.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, what % of marriages do you think ends in divorce?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I'd want to sign one, regardless of whether I was wealthier than my prospective wife or vice versa. It makes it far fairer. It's completely idealistic for all the girls on here saying "Lol if he wants to sign one, he doesn't truly love me". He probably does love you - he just wants to make sure you aren't a golddigger. and to be honest, these days, who could blame him? Also, even if you aren't a golddigger, which I presume the majority of girls aren't :p:, a lot can change during a marriage. Do you REALLY think people get married with the intention of ever getting divorced? (Works both ways of course.)

ReputationRep:
    If you're not going to get divorced, why does signing the prenup matter?

If the guy I was marrying asked me to sign one I wouldn't think of it as he didn't trust me/he doubted the relationship I'd think he was right in asking me to sign one cos we might end up hating each other (you don't know how people are gonna turn out) and if we had kids, it'd be better for them for us to get a divorce, and we'd each be entitled to our own earnings to support the kids.
    I'd discuss it with the guy first. those are valid points, but I still wouldn't sign the prenup, and if he insisted upon it then what does that say of his impression of me? He obviously doesn't trust me to be fair and rational. Should we really be getting married in that case? I'd argue no.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.