Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: Prenuptial agreement for marriage? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    Out of interest, what % of marriages do you think ends in divorce?
    Judging by my family, a lot. Probably 65-70%. I'll look up the figures now.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) found 45% of marriages will end in divorce before a couple's 50th anniversary if 2005 rates continue, with almost half of these splits occurring before couples reach 10 years of marriage. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/ma...ntity.divorce)
    Lol oops I overestimated, then again that datas a teency bit dated.

ReputationRep:
    pre nups arnt usualy to say you wont get *any* wealth its just limiting it.
    but yeh i would be a bit worried about it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosrush)
    Any guy that knows who Derek Jeter is can understand the reason why you don't get married.
    FYP

(Original post by Muffinz)
    If you're not going to get divorced, why do you need the prenup?
    Let's say for examples sake that I live in Chicago.

"I'm not going to crash.............why do I need to wear this helmet?"

ReputationRep:
    well then do you not think it's ridiculously idealistic of you to assume that your marriage will not end in divorce? People don't INTEND to get a divorce when they get married, but these things happen, and you shouldn't pretend there's no chance of it occurring.

ReputationRep:
    Then I'm surprised you think like you do if you think it's that high. I was expecting you to say like 10-20%.

It's actualy around 45%.

ReputationRep:
    I'd discuss it with the guy first. those are valid points, but I still wouldn't sign the prenup, and if he insisted upon it then what does that say of his impression of me? He obviously doesn't trust me to be fair and rational. Should we really be getting married in that case? I'd argue no.
    I guess it depends on the person asked.. I'd sign it cos I'd want him to sign one, doesn't mean I don't trust him it just means if something happens I'll get my stuff, he'll get his..I can see your point of view though, I just don't agree with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-breaker)
    Let's say for examples sake that I live in Chicago.

"I'm not going to crash.............why do I need to wear this helmet?"
    You don't knwo the condition of the road, or if anyone's going to hit you. They're uncertain variables, which is why you have a helmet. You're not 100% sure. I think you SHOULD be 100% sure before you get married, which is possible by living with eachother (happily) for 7/8 years or so.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm this is an interesting one. I think for American/British actors and such, people with a LOT of money on both sides of the partnership, then yeah I think a pre-nup is pretty much essential.

For the average nobody, I wouldn't really find it appropriate tbh. I wouldn't feel too happy if my boyfriend asked me to sign a pre-nup if I'm totally honest. I'd wonder if our mutual trust was really on an even keel.

I would understand though, as he's a musician and might one day be earning a heck of a lot more money than me, but I doubt he'd be the kind to ask for a pre-nup, he's very much 'what's mine is yours' kinda guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    well then do you not think it's ridiculously idealistic of you to assume that your marriage will not end in divorce? People don't INTEND to get a divorce when they get married, but these things happen, and you shouldn't pretend there's no chance of it occurring.
    Exactly. I'll marry when I'm sure, and no sooner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woozeybear)
    I guess it depends on the person asked.. I'd sign it cos I'd want him to sign one, doesn't mean I don't trust him it just means if something happens I'll get my stuff, he'll get his..I can see your point of view though, I just don't agree with it
    Then I guess we can just agree to disagree then, right? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Then I guess we can just agree to disagree then, right? :p:
    Yup! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    Then I'm surprised you think like you do if you think it's that high. I was expecting you to say like 10-20%.

It's actualy around 45%.
    Mhmm. I just don't think I'll marry until I know the relationship will be everything I want indefinitely. I don't want to be like my aunty and get married three times.

ReputationRep:
    Not really - at least I'm not going to leap into a marriage I have doubts about. That's just asking for trouble. If you want to do so, be my guest.
    Yeah cos thats so much worse than losing everything you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Yeah cos thats so much worse than losing everything you have.
    As I said, it's your choice.

Maybe, as long as he still helps pay for the kids, I don't see why we shouldn't have one. I prefer to earn my own money, I don't like to feel that I am using someone else's money to buy things.

ReputationRep:
    Pathetic. :/

ReputationRep:
    I've never been a fan of prenups. To me it seems like dooming the marriage before its even started, sort of expecting you's to get a divorce.

Celebrity manages I can understand. Most of the time they're PR stunts and theres loads of money involved. If you get what I mean.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I wouldn't marry a girl who refused to sign a prenuptial agreement. Marriage is very risky for men nowadays, in that it has a ~50% failure rate, and in these failed marriages the courts really shaft you.

Only a foolish man would marry today without a pre-nup.

Of course, they work both ways, which a lot of girls here don't seem to get. K-Fed really took Britney to the cleaners. It's just that you rarely hear about women getting financially raped in the courts because women very rarely marry men who have less money than them.

I suspect a lot of the girls offended by the prospect of a pre-nup are only offended on the basis that it means that they no longer have nearly all the power in the marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Personally marriage isn't part of my new life plan, so I just don't care. I want to work, earn a **** load of money, and then die. Because girls are, I have decided, simply too much hard work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I suspect a lot of the girls offended by the prospect of a pre-nup are only offended on the basis that it means that they no longer have nearly all the power in the marriage.
    Dismissive and sexist. Why are you marrying someone who you think only want power and money?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.