The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Smack
Much better than you, it appears. Nor do I seem to have some sort of feminist agenda.

Are you suggesting that a feminist agenda is stupid/bad?
Muffinz
After 7/8 years you know if someone's going to change. I'm saying I wouldn't jump into a marriage. If you think jumping into a marriage and risking divorce with the protection of a prenup is better than what I'm proposing, then you can do that, it's nothing to do with me. I'm just saying what I think here.

I wouldn't jump into a marriage lol. And the person you have been with for 7/8 years has changed over those 7/8 years and would over the next 7 years, lots of factors could cause them to be unpleasant, like stress at work which could cause them to be irritating or make them drink which could make them abusive or cheat or whatever the long list of things that could happen leading to eventual divorce, you wouldn't know that was gonna happen in the first 7-8 years.
Muffinz
Are you suggesting that a feminist agenda is stupid/bad?

In this case, yes, because we cannot say factual things like a lot of girls are only after money nowadays without being called a sexist. Although, if I'm upsetting the feminists, I must be doing something right.
Reply 123
Smack
In this case, yes, because we cannot say factual things like a lot of girls are only after money nowadays without being called a sexist. Although, if I'm upsetting the feminists, I must be doing something right.

If you noticed, I stated that your suggestion that all men are only after sex is sexist, too. I just don't generalise. You obviously have something against women, since you're villifying me. What happened? You wanna talk about your ex?
Reply 124
woozeybear
I wouldn't jump into a marriage lol. And the person you have been with for 7/8 years has changed over those 7/8 years and would over the next 7 years, lots of factors could cause them to be unpleasant, like stress at work which could cause them to be irritating or make them drink which could make them abusive or cheat or whatever the long list of things that could happen leading to eventual divorce, you wouldn't know that was gonna happen in the first 7-8 years.

Eh, I'm just saying I wouldn't do it if there was any kind of doubt. This is a moral issue, not a factual one. I don't like the idea of prenups, but you do. Both opinions are fine.
Muffinz
Eh, I'm just saying I wouldn't do it if there was any kind of doubt. This is a moral issue, not a factual one. I don't like the diea of prenups, and you don't. Both opinions are fine.

I like the idea..but fair enough :biggrin:
Reply 126
woozeybear
I like the idea..but fair enough :biggrin:

Woops, typo xD I'll change it
Thats has to be the best way of saying "I dont trust you biatch" and why o why did you target it to guys?
Muffinz
If you noticed, I stated that your suggestion that all men are only after sex is sexist, too. I just don't generalise. You obviously have something against women, since you're villifying me. What happened? You wanna talk about your ex?

I've never suggested that all men are only after sex. Quote me saying that, please.

However, I wouldn't content that there are a lot of men, particularly between 18 and 30, only really after sex, and very very casual 'relationships', if you can call them that.

Now how do I have something against women?
Reply 129
Butterflyleg
I don't get this thread... why OP made an assumption that only men should take prenuptial agreement into account? Sorry, but I wouldn't get married without it too. I won't stay at home and look after kids and who knows? Maybe I'll earn more than my husband? This thread is sexist. Most women don't get married for money.

If you read a few posts after the original, I did say it could be either way around...I just did it this way because this is indeed the more common scenario and British law generally favours women more in divorces. I'm just going with the general trend, it's statistically proven but that's beside the point...this is not a man vs woman thing, it's purely about the prenup concept.
Reply 130
Smack
I've never suggested that all men are only after sex. Quote me saying that, please.

However, I wouldn't content that there are a lot of men, particularly between 18 and 30, only really after sex, and very very casual 'relationships', if you can call them that.

Now how do I have something against women?

Bah, sorry, I confused you with another person. Getting quoted too many times T.T You're right, I can't read properly.

I still think that in your assertion that women are mostly after money and your comments about my "feminist agenda", you sound bitter. It's also pretty sexist to group us all in that manner.
IQ Test
Divorce would not be an option, I think that if two people are committed enough to each other then they can find other ways to resolve their differences than to become divorcees.

So in response, no I wouldn't sign a prenuptial agreement!
=)

Don't over 50% of marriages end in divorce nowadays? I'm sure a large number of those people thought they were fully committed to eachother at the beginning (or thought the other person was).

As to the original question, saying they are allowed nothing is too harsh but there could be some sort of limit on the amount the "poorer" partner gets.
Muffinz
Bah, sorry, I confused you with another person. Getting quoted too many times T.T You're right, I can't read properly.

I still think that in your assertion that women are mostly after money and your comments about my "feminist agenda", you sound bitter. It's also pretty sexist to group us all in that manner.

For the love of god!

I never said that all women are only after money!

I said that some are, and this is true, because I've heard many admit as such. I have no reason to be bitter against this because, as a student, I have no money to lose anyway.
Would not marry a guy who asked this. It's not romantic and I'd be asking why doesn't he trust me? Is he not commited. Marriage to me is for life and I wouldn't go into it thinking about the possibility of divorce. I wouldn't take what isn't mine in the even of divorce anyway though so doesnt really matter.
Reply 134
My wife will be getting one. Not gonna be blinded by love, money is money

(most) people don't go into marriages intending to get divorces, **** happens
Reply 135
Smack
For the love of god!

I never said that all women are only after money!

I said that some are, and this is true, because I've heard many admit as such. I have no reason to be bitter against this because, as a student, I have no money to lose anyway.

I didn't say all, I said women are mostly, which is what you implied. Have you lost your reading specs now? :p:

Anyway, this isn't going anywhere. Let's just agree to disagree.
Smack
It's not sexist at all. And a lot of girls are only after money nowadays anyway. It's not unreasonable to assume that a percentage of the girls in here who would be offended at the prospect of a pre-nup are after money. There is no other reason to be offended.

Excuse me but that's frankly not true.

I am female, not interested in the pre-nup because I think it undermines trust - and if you don't trust the person not to cheat you over when you inevitably get divorced (great basis for a marriage that) it is essentially pointless in any case because it doesn't prevent them from doing so legally.

If you think this is because I'm after my future husband's money, I'll mention now (and why I am anon because I don't intend to boast) but I'm actually set on a pretty high pay career.

I'd be unlikely to find a husband earning more, and without a husband I could quite happily support myself. Money is only a means of obtaining happiness anyway. A better way of obtaining happiness is to marry someone you love.

Decent people aren't unfair. I'm a decent person and I'll marry someone decent.

I'm sorry for you that you have such a low opinion of women and their motives. Do you suppose you're the product of a marriage that is essentially legalised prostitution? Do you suppose your mother decided to be with your father because she's after his cash?
Muffinz
I didn't say all, I said women are mostly, which is what you implied. Have you lost your reading specs now? :p:

Anyway, this isn't going anywhere. Let's just agree to disagree.

I never implied them all. In fact, I specifically devised a fool proof - or so I though - plan that would avoid people misrepresenting what I meant by explicitly stating, in basic English words, that I am not referring to every woman with my post.

Alas, my plan failed. :frown:
Anonymous
Excuse me but that's frankly not true.

I am female, not interested in the pre-nup because I think it undermines trust - and if you don't trust the person not to cheat you over when you inevitably get divorced (great basis for a marriage that) it is essentially pointless in any case because it doesn't prevent them from doing so legally.

How the **** does it undermine trust? Would you refuse to wear a seatbelt in someone's car because it undermines the trust you should have in them not to crash into a tree?
I couldn't marry someone who asked for a prenup... Not becasue I care about money. But quite frankly anyone who is even thinking about getting divored BEFORE marriage seems wrong to me :frown:.

Latest

Trending

Trending