Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I need to put all the 5th roots of unity into the form of x+iy, but I've totally forgot how, also could someone describe to me in simple words a little bit what exactly roots of unity are, I know that there's 4 fifth roots of unity though

MEI FP2?

Can you multiply complex numbers using modulus-argument form OK? Visualise a unit circle, centre 0 on the Argand diagram. Now visualise starting at 1 and moving anticlockwise through one-fifth of a rotation (2pi/5). Do that five times and you're back to where you started. So the first move was a fifth-root of 1. There are four other numbers that share this property. Plot them all on the Argand diagram and admire the pattern.

If you're still on FP1, observe that you're trying to solve x^5-1 = 0. Spot one root easily, and divide out the factor you get using the factor theorem. Get a pretty quartic. You know that you are looking for roots in conjugate pairs, so the quartic will split into two quadratics. A bit messy.

Thank you, after I did hours of research last night, my head finally got round it all
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.