Turn on thread page Beta

Look Too Young To Be In Uni :'( watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, well i have a really big problem which bothers me ALOT. I recently turned 18 and am applying for university. I am dreading it because i look way too young for my age and am worried that i will be the 'odd one out' and wont be treated like my age because of my appearance. Hope i am making sense.
    Ive been told that i look like a 15 year old and no one ever belived that i was 17 let alone 18...
    sooo for any of you out there who are in uni, what would you think if you saw a girl like me? someone whoo looks too young to be in uni?
    i know that as soon as i walk into the building i will feel like crying...my self confidence drops when someone reminds me of this problem...ive been told many times that i look pretty so i suppose that makes me feel better as sad as that may sound...but i feel so insignificant when people mention that i look too young and feel really small...
    like the other day i was early for a class at 6th form and some girls in yr 10-11 were walking past me and one of them said 'she's in 6th form but she looks so little blah blah'...
    it makes me feel like crap

ReputationRep:
    Nearly all the girls I see going to uni look too young to me...

:sad:

I'm getting old!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opensesame)
    Hi, well i have a really big problem which bothers me ALOT. I recently turned 18 and am applying for university. I am dreading it because i look way too young for my age and am worried that i will be the 'odd one out' and wont be treated like my age because of my appearance. Hope i am making sense.
    Ive been told that i look like a 15 year old and no one ever belived that i was 17 let alone 18...
    sooo for any of you out there who are in uni, what would you think if you saw a girl like me? someone whoo looks too young to be in uni?
    i know that as soon as i walk into the building i will feel like crying...my self confidence drops when someone reminds me of this problem...ive been told many times that i look pretty so i suppose that makes me feel better as sad as that may sound...but i feel so insignificant when people mention that i look too young and feel really small...
    like the other day i was early for a class at 6th form and some girls in yr 10-11 were walking past me and one of them said 'she's in 6th form but she looks so little blah blah'...

I look about 15 too. Sound about 25. I haven't been treated any different in uni than anyone else, don't worry about it. People will just randomly come up to you in clubs though and ask how old you are though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoody555)
    I look about 15 too. Sound about 25. I haven't been treated any different in uni than anyone else, don't worry about it. People will just randomly come up to you in clubs though and ask how old you are though.
    Do they constantly ask you for you ID if you hold a drink?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, try to look at the positives, you are pretty and you have youth on your side. So so many people want to look younger when they get older, it looks like you'll have no problem. :p: I reckon if you had more confidence and realised that any decent person would like you for your personality and not how you look (which is pretty as you've said anyway, then people would think you're fine

I really think if anyone judges you for your appearance they're quite lame.:yes: x

ReputationRep:
    try some anti-anti-ageing cream.

ReputationRep:
    You'll love it when you're older

ReputationRep:

Don't worry about it, I've got the same problem but it's really not that big an issue. I'm 18 and at uni at the moment and believe me it won't be that bad. I get ID'd wherever I go out but it's fine. Besides, we're at uni to learn, not just go out all the time...

Saying that, I'm off out later :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, try not to worry about it. Sure, you get some petty people at uni but nowhere near as many as you get in highschool. People won't care how young you look! I'm 20 at uni and the other day I was buying my gran a lottery ticket and I got asked for ID! I find it's far easier to laugh this sort of stuff off... you might get the odd comment about looking young at uni, but I seriously doubt that it'll be anything callous. I just don't think people care, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    You can never look too young - especially in Uni.

*licks lips*

ReputationRep:
    We've got a medic in our block who genuinely doesn't look older than 14 (she's 18), she doesn't get flak from anyone, no one really cares about these things, we're all here for a good time. Don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    If you have ID you'll be fine for going out and things, but just be confident about yourself! Maybe a new hair cut or if you change the way you dress or do your make up it might make you look older. Depending on how I dress/wear make up I can get IDed and get told I look 15 yet sometimes people think I'm 5 years older than I actually am.

Try not to let it bother you, but like I said try and make yourself look older. Look at how other people dress or whatever. You are actually 18 so it's not like you need to prove yourself. Everyone looks different. Personally I wouldn't change myself but if your self esteem is low -change things to make yourself feel better!

ReputationRep:
    It sucks now but trust me its better that than
    looking older than you are; when I was 14/15 I could have passed for 18
    & I hated it, especially when men started chatting you up.

You'll grow into your looks trust me;
    in the meantime just try and make the best of it,as long as you have ID you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Some dudes like that, the 'cute' look.

ReputationRep:
    spend a few more years in school.

ReputationRep:
    I also have this problem, people say i look like im in year 8/9 but im on year 12 :confused: I don't understand why people think that because i wear my own clothes and the year 8/9 wear uniform, im not even short either.
    When you're older you might look a lot younger than your peers.

ReputationRep:
    There are so many good things to looking young: childrens tickets, buying childrens clothes (which are cheaper, but I guess thats only if you're short), not aging as quickly, gives you a topic of conversation with people (?). OK maybe not so much the last one, but still
    PS I'm really short, so I kind of get how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    Do they constantly ask you for you ID if you hold a drink?
    Nah, it's mainly drunk women shouting "DID YOU KNOW YOU LOOK YOUNG? :eek: "
    Thank god they tell me these things.

ReputationRep:
    You're not alone - I know a few people (myself included) who think we look/feel too young to be (nearly) at university.
    Although I'm pretty sure A Levels will turn my hair grey, so problem solved

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, i'm 21 but look about 15 too! I get I'd for alchohol and to get into clubs etc.

But I don't think 'looking young' should affect you when going to uni, you'll have to carry I'd wth you whwn you go out.

Are you worried people aren't going to take you seriously because you look so young?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.