Turn on thread page Beta

Look Too Young To Be In Uni :'( watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry OP - I really don't look my age either. I tell people I'm 18 and they're like 'really?'. Yes, I think I'd know how old I am.

ReputationRep:
    im turning 18 this year.
    but everyone at school thinks im still 15-16ish. Even though im 5'8.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem. I'm 17, and last time I went out for a meal the waiter gave me a children's menu (for under 12's). In retrospect, it was quite funny, but at the time I was just embarrassed.

(Original post by Hoody555)
    Nah, it's mainly drunk women shouting "DID YOU KNOW YOU LOOK YOUNG? :eek: "
    Thank god they tell me these things.
    I get something similar "Oh my god, you're so short." Yeah, thanks. I hadn't noticed. :rolleyes: And whenever I meet new people they're always surprised I'm almost 18. It does get annoying ...

ReputationRep:
    If you've got time to worry about that, count yourself lucky. Maybe physical appearance isn't the only reason people think you are younger than what you are...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opensesame)
    Hi, well i have a really big problem which bothers me ALOT. I recently turned 18 and am applying for university. I am dreading it because i look way too young for my age and am worried that i will be the 'odd one out' and wont be treated like my age because of my appearance. Hope i am making sense.
    Ive been told that i look like a 15 year old and no one ever belived that i was 17 let alone 18...
    sooo for any of you out there who are in uni, what would you think if you saw a girl like me? someone whoo looks too young to be in uni?
    i know that as soon as i walk into the building i will feel like crying...my self confidence drops when someone reminds me of this problem...ive been told many times that i look pretty so i suppose that makes me feel better as sad as that may sound...but i feel so insignificant when people mention that i look too young and feel really small...
    like the other day i was early for a class at 6th form and some girls in yr 10-11 were walking past me and one of them said 'she's in 6th form but she looks so little blah blah'...
    it makes me feel like crap
    Omg this is the exact same for me!! Like, when I go on aeroplanes and get the seats with extra leg room which you have to be 16 for, they make me show them my passport. When I got driving lessons the instructor wanted to check to see that I was actually 17. People tell me (including my own mother) that if they could guess an age without knowing me it'd be about 14.
    It used to really bother me and like you, people at school obviously commented. But tbh, there's nothing you can do except wear loads of make up which isn't normally a good look. There's no point wishing yourself older because one day you will wake up and realise that you are actually beginning to look middle aged, and think "Oh my God, I've wasted my youth away". I sympathise with you about the uni thing, but tbh, if you get to uni then nobody is gonna look down on you etc and you shouldn't feel self-conscious because you have put in the hard work and earned the grades to be on that course, same as everyone else.

Like I said, just try and enjoy your youth. One day we will all look old and wrinkly and then we'll regret being sad about looking young. And also, people who say things about it are obviously just sad and insecure, as far as I'm concerned there are far worse things than looking younger than your age!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vivo_neco)
    I have the same problem. I'm 17, and last time I went out for a meal the waiter gave me a children's menu (for under 12's). In retrospect, it was quite funny, but at the time I was just embarrassed.

I get something similar "Oh my god, you're so short." Yeah, thanks. I hadn't noticed. :rolleyes: And whenever I meet new people they're always surprised I'm almost 18. It does get annoying ...
    I am short also, which doesn't help anything. I've been pulled over by police 2 times before because I "looked too young to be driving." :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, my wife got asked for id at the likes of Tesco's pretty much until she had our first daughter when she was 38...

Also looking younger than you are can mean that people will underestimate you, but this can be a good thing as much as anything else so long as you learn to exploit it. Wrong-footing people can be a lot of fun I'd say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovay)
    Don't worry, i'm 21 but look about 15 too! I get I'd for alchohol and to get into clubs etc.

But I don't think 'looking young' should affect you when going to uni, you'll have to carry I'd wth you whwn you go out.

Are you worried people aren't going to take you seriously because you look so young?
    yup, people don't take me seriously :/ most times when i ask around for jobs, for example, they just tell me there are no positions available but act as if im not old enough to work...as much as it seems that i'm overreacting, it really does feel like discrimination at times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeline_B)
    I'm sure we will appreciate looking youbger when we are actually much older.

Well my wife now complains that people only think that she's eight years younget than she is. She had been used to people thinking she was a good fourteen years or more younger than she was...

At least when you're in your 30's you look 27 :yep:

ReputationRep:
    don't worry girl,there's nothing wrong with looking younger than your age.You should try and focus on the good things you have inside you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybarley)
    the good things you have inside you.
    *Snigger*

ReputationRep:
    seriously dont worry about it, im 20 in my 2nd year of uni and people still think i look about 17... i was actually really suprised when i started uni that there were quite a few people who looked as young as i did...people won't treat you any different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Nearly all the girls I see going to uni look too young to me...

:sad:

I'm getting old!
    Don't worry Grandpa, I'll buy you a brand new walking stick tomorrow... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Go on 10 years younger, then we'll talk. :dice:

ReputationRep:
    Bit different but theres a 40 year old that looks 19/21 on my course.Shocked when found out she was a mature studen, with kids. But she did act more mature.

Anyhoo, I'm 18 look 15, be happy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be the same except I'm 19 next week :/

I got a kid's ticket pretending to be a 14 year old once

You can use it to your advantage :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAURA459)
    Don't worry Grandpa, I'll buy you a brand new walking stick tomorrow... :p:
    You cheeky young whippersnapper! *shakes fist angrily*

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opensesame)
    Hi, well i have a really big problem which bothers me ALOT. I recently turned 18 and am applying for university. I am dreading it because i look way too young for my age and am worried that i will be the 'odd one out' and wont be treated like my age because of my appearance. Hope i am making sense.
    Ive been told that i look like a 15 year old and no one ever belived that i was 17 let alone 18...
    sooo for any of you out there who are in uni, what would you think if you saw a girl like me? someone whoo looks too young to be in uni?
    i know that as soon as i walk into the building i will feel like crying...my self confidence drops when someone reminds me of this problem...ive been told many times that i look pretty so i suppose that makes me feel better as sad as that may sound...but i feel so insignificant when people mention that i look too young and feel really small...
    like the other day i was early for a class at 6th form and some girls in yr 10-11 were walking past me and one of them said 'she's in 6th form but she looks so little blah blah'...
    it makes me feel like crap
    hey there just look at me i also been told that i look a 15 year old when im 18 an im already at uni..theres absolutely nothing to worry about as you'll relise there are soooo many people aswell that just look as young like urself

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it too much; I'm 19 and at uni and I still get asked for ID.

The librarian asked me if I was there looking for an older sibling, thinking I was 15...tbh, she wasn't wearing her glasses but still XD

Just focus on getting your degree and having a good time

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.