Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well the latest student loan installment came through on Monday and while visiting the bank to get my statement, I was warned that it wasn't safe to have a large amount in my current account. I wasn't earning any interest on it either apparently.

They did offer to talk about savings options but I was hoping to look around first before going back.

I have a regular HSBC bank account but am looking to move some money into a savings account to hopefully accculumate interest while I'm not using the money.

Does anybody have any tips or suggestions on savings accounts or just generally on what I should be looking out for?

Edit:
    @aeonflux: I don't need it straight away, up to 3 years is fine.

ReputationRep:
    The first thing you need to think about is whether you need access to the money or whether you can tie it up for a period of time.

The best rates are generally the ones that limit your access to your money - fixed term bonds, regular saver accounts etc. If you need to be able to withdraw money at short notice you'll need to be looking at easy access accounts.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.