Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, i'm in yr 11 and I was thinking about doing biology A level? is it hard?
    i was also gonna do law, maths and chemistry, what are those like?

(Original post by livvyyy)
    hi, i'm in yr 11 and I was thinking about doing biology A level? is it hard?
    i was also gonna do law, maths and chemistry, what are those like?
    How long is a piece of string?

ReputationRep:
    Not hard at all. I personally feel you will do better if you really enjoy biology. It's more about being able to memorise concepts and lots of biological facts. It's matter of reading and learning lots of bio info. Nothing difficult about that.

If you're gettin A*-B in biology in science yr11 you shouldn't have trouble.

ReputationRep:
    I found A-level Biology a bit of a pain, as while the course was quite interesting (and we had really good teachers), I found the exams to be annoying, as you can write something correct down, but if it's not the word they've got underlined in the mark scheme, you don't get the marks, but if you can remember mark schemes, you'll be fine.

As for Chemistry, it's a good course (though you'd expect me to say that :P), but it is very demanding (but worthwhile).

ReputationRep:
    If you're good at rote learning, and you don't get bored easily, then you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    If you're good at rote learning, and you don't get bored easily, then you'll be fine.
    That could suggest that bio is only rote learning. It isn't. They like to throw in questions which test your understanding and you have to apply your knowledge to new situations.

Then again, we could be on different exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    It's not too bad... it's a lot of learning off by heart, so if you're good at that it should be OK. I found it got a lot harder at A2 though, so be prepared for that.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on which exam board you're on, the exams can be weird.
    I'm on AQA and the syllabus is easy enough to learn, but the exams are really annoying cos they have loaaads of how science works questions, which are just a pain in the arse, and you can lose a lot of marks if you aren't very specific with your answers as the examiners can be very picky,,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WackyJun)
    That could suggest that bio is only rote learning. It isn't. They like to throw in questions which test your understanding and you have to apply your knowledge to new situations.

Then again, we could be on different exam boards.
    OCR here. In my experience, it hardly requires any understanding at all - at least not compared to Chem/Phys/Maths. There really aren't even any mildly hard concepts to grasp, for example, at A2; Biochemistry (respiration and photosynthesis) requires you to remember enzyme chain reactions and the movement of H+ ions, Excretion requires you to memorise anatomy and physiology, and Communication and Homeostasis requires you to memorise the structure and action of nerve cells, and that's about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    OCR here. In my experience, it hardly requires any understanding at all - at least not compared to Chem/Phys/Maths. There really aren't even any mildly hard concepts to grasp, for example, at A2; Biochemistry (respiration and photosynthesis) requires you to remember enzyme chain reactions and the movement of H+ ions, Excretion requires you to memorise anatomy and physiology, and Communication and Homeostasis requires you to memorise the structure and action of nerve cells, and that's about it!
    I'm on AQA. I probably would prefer it to OCR. I'm useless at recall if there's too much to remember. I'd much rather apply my knowledge, it's more fun too.

OP: maybe it would be helpful to find out which exam board the 6th forms you want to go to are with for biology. Then maybe you can get some replies specific to the course you're going to do.

ReputationRep:
    There is so much to remember

ReputationRep:
    Well, in my opinion (if you're doing AQA) the subject is comparable to a mix of Chemistry and Biology rather than Biology (not necessarily just in the content of the course, but also the difficulty) so I'd say if you enjoyed both Biology and Chemistry at GCSE and found both manageable then AS Biology should be fine. I personally found it hard and dropped it, but my classmates who were at similar abilities to me at GCSE level were fine.

ReputationRep:
    I did Biology and Chemistry AS Levels last year, and found them both difficult. I got really bad grades, but I was depressed and going through some stuff as well anyway. I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm sure you can do it if you really enjoy the subject and can work your butt off to get good grades. They are well respected subjects, so good luck in them :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortysixandtwo)
    How long is a piece of string?
    Twice the length from the centre to one end. Anyway, biology is fairly easy if you have a good memory.

ReputationRep:
    IMO it was a piece of piss compared to my other subjects (maths, chemistry, history). If you do AQA they ask the same questions each year so learn a few mark schemes and key words etc and you're sorted!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the individual. [/thread]

ReputationRep:
    WJEC exam board is a really good syllabus, but the exams are an absolute joke ahaha. I'd advise biology, as long as the college your doing it with isn't using WJEC Lots of learning really. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Edexcel Biology and a lot of it's been really interesting. AS is a piece of cake provided you learn the material.

I don't know about anyone else though, but I'm finding the unit 5B questions utterly retarded as far as the mark scheme goes. Maybe I just need to finish all the past papers off. (3 more to go!)

ReputationRep:
    AQA is quite good for biology and chemistry. as long as you put the effort in its quite easy, it also helps if you can apply what you learn to different situations. both are a big step up from GCSE, chemistry especially in terms if new material (you'll just love mechanisms)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    AQA is quite good for biology and chemistry. as long as you put the effort in its quite easy, it also helps if you can apply what you learn to different situations. both are a big step up from GCSE, chemistry especially in terms if new material (you'll just love mechanisms)
    And if you memorise mark schemes, it's one of the things I wasn't too keen on in terms of AQA Biol, there wasn't much in the way of application it was just recall (except for BYB678). Though, it may be different know as I believe they changed the syllabus from when I did it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.