Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Basically I'm trying to revise for my exam and my poor notetaking has caught up with me.

I can follow the following question and answer but having difficulty understanding how the next step goes from:

Y-0.6(Y)=.... to 0.4(Y)=....

been racking my brain, looking through books all to no avail. Any clarity on this would be so very appreciated.. please

The question: Consider the following numerical version of the IS-LM model:

C = 400 + 0.6(Y)
    I = 700 – 40(i)
    G = 100
    L = 0.5(Y) – 750(I) (money demand)
    M = 500 (money supply)

IS schedule:

Y = C + I + G
    Y = 400 + 0.6(Y) + 700 – 40(i) + 100
    Y - 0.6(Y) = 400 + 700 + 100 – 40(i)
    0.4(Y) = 1,200 – 40(i)
    Y = (1,200/0.4) – (40/0.4) × i
    Y = 3,000 - 100 × i

xx

ReputationRep:
    Another way to look at it is:

Y - 0.6Y = (1-0.6)Y = 0.4Y, as 1 - 0.6 = 0.4 Just a bit of algebra really! I hope that answers your question, if it doesn't let me now though

ReputationRep:
    Get a factor of Y out and then it should make sense....

ReputationRep:
    OMG the clouds have lifted and clarity has prevailed. Thankyou both so so much for the prompt replies, I cannot believe I've spent almost all afternoon trying to figure it out in my own weird way and it was so simple.

That's fantastic, really really appreciate that guys If I could e-buy you a drink for that trust me I would. You're my new heroes

xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.