Turn on thread page Beta

Critical Thinking vs General Studies vs World Development watch

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering which would be the best to take for A-level because my school makes us take one of them.
    i just want to know which one to take.

what sort of stuff do you learn in each one?
    which one is most respected by universities.
    which one is the hardest.
    which one has the highest work load (i heard world development has a lot of coursework)

and any other info, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I took WD and it turned out to be fine with all the uni I applied for (Cambridge, warwick, york, sheffield and aber all liked it above the other two.) WD is sort of like politics, economics, environmental science, sociology and geopgraphy roled into one. we had a fairly open course and I found it really interesting (though we did have a superb teacher) its denfinatley the One I would go for, gievn that it is the most interesting and everyone else who took it on my course didn't find any Uni that had a trouble with it (General studies though a completley different matter.)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    World development is more respected.

It all depends on your other subject courses as critical thinking will come in very usefully if your doing English, history, politics and essay subjects etc...

If your going down a social science route world development is the route to take.

I cant really comment on general studies but bare in mind critical thinking has a small work load and emphasis on exam technique so if that's where your strengths lie go for that. If you like c/w and that option world development is the route for you

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wludeen)
    i was just wondering which would be the best to take for A-level because my school makes us take one of them.
    i just want to know which one to take.

what sort of stuff do you learn in each one?
    which one is most respected by universities.
    which one is the hardest.
    which one has the highest work load (i heard world development has a lot of coursework)

and any other info, thanks
    Well world development is accepted by universities as an A-Level, where as many unis wont consider GS or CT when making an offer.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your strengths. I took Critical Thinking all the way to A2 because I found it pretty easy and it was a light work load compared to other subjects. It all depends on your performance in exams though and your ability to think logically and reason arguments. It allowed me to take another AS in my A2 year.
    Critical Thinking is accepted by more universities than General Studies, I know that for sure. All the ones that I liked fortunately took Critical Thinking. It also depends what you are thinking of doing - CT is more useful for the essay subjects.
    World Development is probably the most interesting and probably the most widely accepted. I really don't know much about it, to be honest but I know lots enjoy the coursework side to it. It kinda dips into lots of different areas which provides variety.
    I wouldn't touch Gen. Studies. Too many universities don't accept it and many of my friends found it dull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussianking666)
    I took WD and it turned out to be fine with all the uni I applied for (Cambridge, warwick, york, sheffield and aber all liked it above the other two.) WD is sort of like politics, economics, environmental science, sociology and geopgraphy roled into one. we had a fairly open course and I found it really interesting (though we did have a superb teacher) its denfinatley the One I would go for, gievn that it is the most interesting and everyone else who took it on my course didn't find any Uni that had a trouble with it (General studies though a completley different matter.)
    Did you do world development as an A Level? Cause i'm trying to self study for it for the June 2010 exam series, and I'm struggling to find revision material... if you could help with some case study names or anything i'd be really greatful! I need a B in it of i'm not going to my first choice uni xx

ReputationRep:
    I do critical thinking, I had no choice in the matter. I did no revision at all and barely listened in class but still managed an A in the exam, it's more of an exam technique kinda thing :/ If you know how to answer the exam, you don't need to know much at all (for the first exam anyway, unsure about the next). But crit makes me lose the will to live, I find it really tedious and boring so wouldn't recommend it if you had the choice.

Out of your options id say do the WD one, I hadn't heard of it until then but if universities accept it and it's an interesting course i'd go for that oone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BexPanther)
    Did you do world development as an A Level? Cause i'm trying to self study for it for the June 2010 exam series, and I'm struggling to find revision material... if you could help with some case study names or anything i'd be really greatful! I need a B in it of i'm not going to my first choice uni xx
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes I did, however when I did it there was no textbook for it, for case studies it really depends on the themes revising. We looked at certain countries such as Uganda and themes within them so we could revise it for more than one theme, we also did some very specific case studys..The Katze dam comes to mind other water theme.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.