Turn on thread page Beta

Official figures: Britain is rapidly secularising watch

Announcements

Official figures show that Britain is rapidly secularising

The British Social Attitudes Survey is one of the largest annual polls of opinion in Britain and is commissioned by the National Centre for Social Research. The latest edition will be published later this month, and will look at religious attitudes in Britain. The NSS has had a sneak preview and can reveal that it shows a further dramatic lurch away from religion by Britons. It also shows a deepening suspicion of people with strongly-held religious beliefs.

Official figures show that Britain is rapidly secularising

Good news?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not surprised.

ReputationRep:
    LOL

Amazing graph.

I think secularism is good though. As long as it doesn't get extreme. Like in France where secularism is slowly eroding away people's civil liberties.

Freedom from religion and freedom of religion. Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter? Do you honestly think we'll be better off as fewer people believe in god? I don't believe in 'him' but I certainly don't inhabit the bizarre positivist quasi-religious universe that the OP and Dawkins seem to.

ReputationRep:
    I think the real battle is to get this kind of trend in the US.

ReputationRep:
    "Then came: In matters of right and wrong, some people say it is important to faithfully follow the leaders and teachings on one’s religion. Others say it is important to follow one’s own conscience? Only six percent think they should follow their religious leaders – which is bad news for the Pope, who demands total obedience from his flock. Eighty-nine per cent think they should follow their own conscience."

Oh noes! But how will our society have morals if we don't follow our religious teachings? :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    we've been that way for a number of years now, so it's no surprise really (to me at least).

I don't think it makes the UK a worse off society anyhow.

ReputationRep:
    The way it should be.

ReputationRep:
    Did you get the NSS email too, LH?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volts)
    Does it really matter? Do you honestly think we'll be better off as fewer people believe in god? I don't believe in 'him' but I certainly don't inhabit the bizarre positivist quasi-religious universe that the OP and Dawkins seem to.
    Yes. People treat others differently based on their religion, it would eliminate another area of discrimination. It would also stop secular leaders being led by religion - I wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of the Crusades in the reasoning behind invading Iraq and Afghanistan. Also, ultimately, religion is very silly.

ReputationRep:
    Worst chart ever. Impossible to take anything seriously beside that.

ReputationRep:
    Thank **** for that.

Yay!

ReputationRep:
    Not in Bradford

This is good news though, not unsurprising either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Yes. People treat others differently based on their religion, it would eliminate another area of discrimination. It would also stop secular leaders being led by religion - I wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of the Crusades in the reasoning behind invading Iraq and Afghanistan. Also, ultimately, religion is very silly.
    love this conclusion

ReputationRep:
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    Great stuff. I think Britain has the highest % of atheists/agnostics in the English-speaking world. Or is it Australia/Canada?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bourgeois)
    Great stuff. I think Britain has the highest % of atheists/agnostics in the English-speaking world. Or is it Australia/Canada?
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    But how will our society have morals if we don't follow our religious teachings? :teehee:
    Ethics. Humanism teaches ethics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    lol.
    ...?And this is funny why?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.