Turn on thread page Beta

Official figures: Britain is rapidly secularising watch

(Original post by Bagration)
    Did you get the NSS email too, LH?
    :five:

And Daniel Hannan :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    The 2001 Census said that 71.6% of the population were Christian, 15.5% said No Religion/Jedi and 7.3% didn't answer. How come it says in the article that in 1983 66% were Christian if religion has been rapidly declining? I think it's pretty obvious that religion is declining repaidly, at least in Britian, but I will be waiting for the Census results as they probably be more accurate.
    I suppose it depends where they carried out the survey, as there are national variations. Also, it won't help if they're collaring people in the street, coming out of the bookies, for example... :p:

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Indeed. It makes me wonder why the number of people that claim to be Christians is so high... (71.6% at the last census). The way I see it, is that most of them will have been Christened and then say - oh, well then I must be a Christian. The census should determine how many people regularly practise their religion, because I think that would give a much clearer picture on this secularism question.
    I agree.
    I apparently, I am a Catholic! I am going to demand an excommunication thesedays!

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends where they carried out the survey, as there are national variations. Also, it won't help if they're collaring people in the street, coming out of the bookies, for example... :p:
    Yeah I have a feeling many atheists went out of their way to get in the survey, which is why these results are a bit disorted compared to the census. Either that or people just put Christian down for the sake of it in the census and never really practise their religion, I used to be like that.

I bet there are going to be like 20 groups coming in the next year on Facebook saying 'PUT YOUR RELIGION IN THE 2011 CENSUS AS JEDI' or something similar. If they managed to get 390,000 people to say Jedi before the era of Internet and Facebook, imagine now :p:

@MadVlad I like to call that paper-religion cuz it only exists on paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshmo)
    @MadVlad I like to call that paper-religion cuz it only exists on paper
    Quite. Perhaps it makes them feel more wholesome for 10 minutes, before cheating on their partner with their next door neighbour...

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. It makes me wonder why the number of people that claim to be Christians is so high... (71.6% at the last census). The way I see it, is that most of them will have been Christened and then say - oh, well then I must be a Christian. The census should determine how many people regularly practise their religion, because I think that would give a much clearer picture on this secularism question.
    Exactly. I don't see why we should trust people to know what their own religion is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    Yeah I have a feeling many atheists went out of their way to get in the survey, which is why these results are a bit disorted compared to the census. Either that or people just put Christian down for the sake of it in the census and never really practise their religion, I used to be like that.

I bet there are going to be like 20 groups coming in the next year on Facebook saying 'PUT YOUR RELIGION IN THE 2011 CENSUS AS JEDI' or something similar. If they managed to get 390,000 people to say Jedi before the era of Internet and Facebook, imagine now :p:
    That's a good point actually; I suppose less religious people would be willing to fill in a survey for some random person in the street that campaigns for secularism.

People need to be careful about this whole Jedi thing, though. If I'm not mistaken, it's an offence to fill the census out incorrectly, as well as being an offence to incite someone to commit an offence. I'd be worried that the government could use the census to start cutting the deficit, by fining everyone who puts "jedi" for lying on the census. :p:

ReputationRep:
    The further we move from religion the more idiotic chavs we get.
    This is a correlation? Because if so, I want the strong Anglican Church back

ReputationRep:
    It's great that this is happening but we're a christian country and thus this isnt going to have much effect.

If only we could get damn muslim countries to secularise. They cause almost all of the problems. Whenever I turn the news it's Islam Muslims blah blah blah.

We should have moved all the muslims to Haiti!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    The further we move from religion the more idiotic chavs we get.
    This is a correlation? Because if so, I want the strong Anglican Church back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)

And Daniel Hannan
    :five:

and yep, Ive been a fan of his since before he was popular!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    oh dear God!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I reckon many people demanding a 'secular' society, who also complain about religion in this country, are hypocrites. People have this ludicrous belief that they are being oppressed by religion in this country, when the UK is very secular as it is. The more secular it gets, the more oppressed religion will find itself, as is being suggested by new laws in France.

This country was founded in Christian values. Now, can someone give me good reasons what is wrong with this? I'm merely interested as it's all personal opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting..

ReputationRep:
    People need to be careful about this whole Jedi thing, though. If I'm not mistaken, it's an offence to fill the census out incorrectly, as well as being an offence to incite someone to commit an offence. I'd be worried that the government could use the census to start cutting the deficit, by fining everyone who puts "jedi" for lying on the census. :p:
    Surely that can't apply to your religion? Who's to say people are lying about it? I really wouldn't be surprised if there are actually handful of people who actually consider their religion to be Jedi. The government, as far as I know, has no official definition of what it means to be religious so they can't start punishing people for "lying" when they haven't even properly defined the question. I think the religion part of the census is just to see what religion people identify themselves as, regardless of their reasons for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Surely that can't apply to your religion? Who's to say people are lying about it? I really wouldn't be surprised if there are actually handful of people who actually consider their religion to be Jedi. The government, as far as I know, has no official definition of what it means to be religious so they can't start punishing people for "lying" when they haven't even properly defined the question. I think the religion part of the census is just to see what religion people identify themselves as, regardless of their reasons for doing so.
    I wouldn't put anything past this communist government.

ReputationRep:
    Good.

Although I don't think you can tell that much from opinion polls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Because, you said that the UK is the most secular country in the English-speaking world. Except...the other 2 biggest countries. You should have just said "I am glad that the United Kingdom is more secular than the United States".
    You know there are more English speaking countries than the UK, Oz, Canada and US right?

ReputationRep:
    Good start. Looking forward to the world doing so~

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.