Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've been going to the gym for about 3 months now but I dont feel im seeing enough muscle gain..And I've been looking around here and on google and have seen topics talking about doing low reps high weights to gain quick strong muscle..

Im currently doing:
    20 Mins Rowing
    Chest Press - 65kg, 3 Sets 10 reps.
    Pull Back/Row/Deltoids - 55kg, 3 Sets 10 reps.
    Bicep Curls - 12kg, 3 sets 10 reps.
    Tricep press - 75kg - 3 sets 10 reps.
    Flys - 70kg, 3 sets 10 reps.
    Then I do a few Ab excercies.

I do this workout 3-4 times a week but I'm not seeing much change :/
    What am I doing wrong?
    I'm 6ft2 and weigh 75kg.

I want to gain muscle but want to stay lean, I dont want to become massive.

Could someone tell me what I should be doing, or create me a better workout, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShiFty Kid)
    What am I doing wrong?
    From what I can see:
    -No leg work
    -Neglected back
    -Same workout day in day out

What I'd also bet:
    -Your diet isn't particularly good (eg; not enough calories, not enough protein, not enough healthy fats, not enough vegetables)
    -You're using machines as opposed to free weights
    -You're not striving to progress each workout (eg; more weight and/or more reps and/or shorter rest periods, etc)

That isn't something you should be worried about - it takes years to build large amounts of muscle.

Could someone tell me what I should be doing
    Pick a routine:
    -Starting Strength
    -Westside for Skinny *******s
    -New Rules of Lifting
    -Infinite Intensity

Back up your routine with a decent diet, check out the healthy eating guide in the Fitness sticky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    From what I can see:
    -No leg work
    -Neglected back

What I'd also bet:
    -Your diet isn't particularly good (eg; not enough calories, not enough protein, not enough healthy fats, not enough vegetables)
    -You're not striving to progress each workout (eg; more weight and/or more reps and/or shorter rest periods, etc)

That isn't something you should be worried about - it takes years to build large amounts of muscle.

Pick a routine:
    -Starting Strength
    -New Rules of Lifting
    -Infinite Intensity

Back up your routine with a decent diet, check out the healthy eating guide in the Fitness sticky.
    Hmm, very good response, thanks, to be honest, I think my diet is the main problem here, I do have a lot of protein though and vegatables, not so sure on the fats though, I'm going to check the Healthy Eating Sticky, thanks a lot man.
    Im also go try use free weights some more.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, very good response, thanks, to be honest, I think my diet is the main problem here
    Your exercise regime isn't much (if any) better. If you want to make any decent progress you're going to have to overhaul both.

I do have a lot of protein though and vegatables, not so sure on the fats though
    Also make sure you're getting plenty of calories. Muscle doesn't appear out of nowhere, your body needs energy (ie; calories) to make it. If you don't provide it with enough it's going to be a very slow process if it happens at all.

To gain muscle at the most efficient rate you will gain some fat, it is unavoidable, but at the same time not something you should fear. As long as you're not massively overdoing it on the calorie front you will gain very little fat and this can be offset by the muscle you gain. If you put on muscle with little or no fat gain you will look and be leaner despite the fact that you gained some fat.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've been going to the gym for about 3 months now but I dont feel im seeing enough muscle gain..And I've been looking around here and on google and have seen topics talking about doing low reps high weights to gain quick strong muscle..

Im currently doing:
    20 Mins Rowing
    Chest Press - 65kg, 3 Sets 10 reps.
    Pull Back/Row/Deltoids - 55kg, 3 Sets 10 reps.
    Bicep Curls - 12kg, 3 sets 10 reps.
    Tricep press - 75kg - 3 sets 10 reps.
    Flys - 70kg, 3 sets 10 reps.
    Then I do a few Ab excercies.

I do this workout 3-4 times a week but I'm not seeing much change :/
    What am I doing wrong?
    I'm 6ft2 and weigh 75kg.

Could someone tell me what I should be doing, or create me a better workout, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
    Your workout is **** and your diet is ****, reply if constructive feedback is required.

ReputationRep:
    You need to add more exercises into the mix. Make sure you know at least 6 different exercises for each muscle group and keep your regime dynamic.

Lift heavy but make sure your technique is correct.

Perhaps train your muscle groups on different days?

My timetable typically is:

Monday: Pecs / Triceps
    Tuseday: Back / Biceps
    Wednesday: Shoulders / Legs
    Thursday: Pecs / Triceps etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    From what I can see:
    -No leg work
    -Neglected back

What I'd also bet:

Pick a routine:
    -Starting Strength
    -New Rules of Lifting
    -Infinite Intensity

this.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of doing 3 sets of 10 reps try doing 4 sets of 12,10,8,6 reps. In the set of 12 reps use a weight that would be just heavier than your warmup.

In the next set put abit more weight on and so on until you get to set 4 with 6 reps. In this set you want to lift a weight that is as close to your max without hindering form.

Cut the cardio out of lifting days, it will hinder your muscle growth. Do cardio on alternating days:

Weights : Mon,Wednesday,Friday
    Cardio : Tueday,Thursday, Saturday

I usually leave Sunday to rest. Can't stress enough how much rest and diet is vital to growth!

If you need anymore info let us know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Chirico)
    You need to add more exercises into the mix. Make sure you know at least 6 different exercises for each muscle group and keep your regime dynamic.
    The vast majority of people don't get bigger and/or stronger because they're not getting enough volume. There is nothing mystical about it, his diet is poor, his exercise regime is poor and so is his linear progression.

6 exercises per bodypart does not equat 6x more muscle, far from it. He's a beginner, he will grow perfectly well by adding weight to the main compound movements (ie; squat, deadlift, bench, pullups, dips, rows, overhead press, etc) every week.

Following your advice he'd be marginally (if any) better off - it's got the same mistakes, neglecting the legs, back and shoulders, heaps of volume for the chest and arms.

ReputationRep:

Why did you post this rubbish?

ReputationRep:

Your timetable is idiotic, dont post advice when your timetable is fail.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.