Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swimmer)
    For Causation say 'Now that Actus Reus has been established, Causation needs to be satisfied.
    This would not be true as causation is part of the actus reus! You would say: "As murder is a result crime, the D must have caused the death..." then go into factual and legal causation

ReputationRep:
    You only need to go into detail about causation if there's actually an issue. Otherwise you can say something like 'D needs to have caused V's injuries in fact and law which he clearly did because, unlike in White, it wouldn't have happened but for his [conduct] and there do not appear to have been and novus actus interveniens to break the chain of causation' :/ I think!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimmige123)
    This would not be true as causation is part of the actus reus! You would say: "As murder is a result crime, the D must have caused the death..." then go into factual and legal causation
    lol nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    You only need to go into detail about causation if there's actually an issue. Otherwise you can say something like 'D needs to have caused V's injuries in fact and law which he clearly did because, unlike in White, it wouldn't have happened but for his [conduct] and there do not appear to have been and novus actus interveniens to break the chain of causation' :/ I think!!
    yo melon, how can i answer the question faster i know the knowledge but it takes me to long to write the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyllix)
    yo melon, how can i answer the question faster i know the knowledge but it takes me to long to write the answer.
    Have you practiced an exam writing technique? What are you stuck on particularly? I can't promise that I know everything because I stilll have things that I've not learnt yet but my teacher sort of teaches us just what's necessary rather than giving out loads of handouts etc

That is, of course, if you were being serious and not sarcastic :ninja:...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Have you practiced an exam writing technique? What are you stuck on particularly? I can't promise that I know everything because I stilll have things that I've not learnt yet but my teacher sort of teaches us just what's necessary rather than giving out loads of handouts etc

That is, of course, if you were being serious and not sarcastic :ninja:...
    I'm being serious, it takes me 40mins to answer one question atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    It depends how quick you write and the size of your writing though. On average the amount of content we have is around 3/4 of a page for each offence/defence/partial defence and there's often around 4 issues in a scenario and that's around 3 pages. Most in my class, for the mock, managed between 3 and 3.5 iirc. It's not impossible. :dontknow:

also, you said 'as well as finding out the scenario' in 25 minutes. But I'm sure we get given thirty minutes per question this year? You'll have ninety minutes and only about five of those would be taken up annotating and reading the scenario.
    Everyone's different and can manage different amounts, if you know the content really well and you can write fast then you can write loads. Obviously it doesn't matter how much paper you cover, just that you put all the relevent aspects in.

ReputationRep:
    am i the only one whose just going to revise voluntary manslaughter instead of revising any of involuntary manslaughter. Because ive gone through basically all of the practise papers i can find up to about 2004 in class , and basically ive never seen both the 1b and 2b questions being the same/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pk12345)
    am i the only one whose just going to revise voluntary manslaughter instead of revising any of involuntary manslaughter. Because ive gone through basically all of the practise papers i can find up to about 2004 in class , and basically ive never seen both the 1b and 2b questions being the same/.
    im doing that aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyllix)
    im doing that aswell.
    awesome,because i can barely remember a thing about inv. manslaughter

ReputationRep:
    one last question. i read somewhere for the evaluation question you can either describe two points (e.g, for evaluating murder: mandatory life sentence, and mens rea issues) in detail, or 3 or more (e.g. mandatory life sentence, mens rea and provocation issues) in less detail and still get full marks either way. has anyone else been told this, or am i wrong :l ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pk12345)
    ive never seen both the 1b and 2b questions being the same/.
    I'm sorry to tell you that there has been, Friday 19th January 2007. The question is "Discuss Simon's liability for murder and for involuntary m/s in connection with the death of Tracey."

I'd type out the scenario but im revising instead, but basically the guy sets fire to a house but rings the fire service, you talk about murder but there is no MR for murder as you can't prove express, implied malice so then you discuss invol m/s

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to tell you that there has been, Friday 19th January 2007. The question is "Discuss Simon's liability for murder and for involuntary m/s in connection with the death of Tracey."

I'd type out the scenario but im revising instead, but basically the guy sets fire to a house but rings the fire service, you talk about murder but there is no MR for murder as you can't prove express, implied malice so then you discuss invol m/s

I know what question you're talking about, as I saw it when I was writing answers to practice papers.

But that was Jan 2007 Law 4 question 1. There was the choice of a question 2, which was just straight forward murder and voluntary manslaughter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryonieIV)
    I know what question you're talking about, as I saw it when I was writing answers to practice papers.

But that was Jan 2007 Law 4 question 1. There was the choice of a question 2, which was just straight forward murder and voluntary manslaughter.
    Yer there was but i prefer invol m/s so if this type of question comes up I am screwed basically

ReputationRep:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/...W-QP-JAN07.PDF

What i meant was that there's always two scenarios. and i was saying that one has a question about murder(+voluntary manslaughter) and on the other scenario, like your tracey one, will be about murder and involunatary manslaughter. That one you're talking about is about inv.manslaughter but the other one on the paper isnt (so techincally you can chose involuntary or voluntary by picking which scenario you want)

goddamit rimmige dont scare me like that again, thought id have to learn that whole topic in a night for a minute there :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Yer there was but i prefer invol m/s so if this type of question comes up I am screwed basically

Oh, I see. I'm sure it won't happen though!

But anyway, wouldn't it be alright just to discuss the actus reus and mens rea of murder (which is only a sentence you would need to know), then just quickly move on and talk about it being involuntary manslaughter and write loads on that and possible defences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryonieIV)
    Oh, I see. I'm sure it won't happen though!

But anyway, wouldn't it be alright just to discuss the actus reus and mens rea of murder (which is only a sentence you would need to know), then just quickly move on and talk about it being involuntary manslaughter and write loads on that and possible defences.
    I'm sure that with murder there would be an issue of provocation and/or diminished responsibility?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I'm sure that with murder there would be an issue of provocation and/or diminished responsibility?

Provocation/diminished responsibility = voluntary manslaughter.

I don't know, wouldn't have thought that would come up in an involuntary manslaughter question. That would be asking a lot!

ReputationRep:
    I am actually petrified for this exam. I keep going over everything and i just feel like i don't know any of it.
    Any revision tips?

ReputationRep:

i dont understand...so would start the question as if it was murder then when you get to MR change and start talking bout invol m/s? we've never been taught this structure im sooo scared incase a question like this comes up!! I have a feeling they're gonna put something in to completely throw us

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.